Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is this a bug, or is BA just really expensive on one-way tickets going via London?

Is this a bug, or is BA just really expensive on one-way tickets going via London?

Old Feb 4, 12, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold

For an upcoming trip, I needed to go from FRA to OSL, and did a search on ba.com. Lowest price, over 800 Euros!!

Even though I did a search for ET, I was placed in CE for the second leg, so that's probably why.

Plans changed however, and I now need to go from DUS to OSL instead, and have already booked on SK, but I did a search now just for fun, and DUS-OSL was priced at 876 EUR. And, despite searching for Euro Traveller, I'm in Club Europe on the LHR-OSL leg.

Is it supposed to be that expensive to try to be loyal, and choose the route via LHR, or is it a bug?

If booking a return trip, there's no problem getting ET all the way, and pay only 278 EUR (random dates in June).

Also, searching up the DUS-LHR and LHR-OSL seperately, shows tickets for 70 EUR and 75 GBP.

So, what I'm seeing, is that it's possible booking cheap one-ways, but only to/from London
Old Feb 4, 12, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Perhaps LHR-OSL is simply full in Economy?
Old Feb 4, 12, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lucifer UK View Post
Perhaps LHR-OSL is simply full in Economy?
Read my post again: If I spilt it, I can fly DUS-LHR for 70 EUR, and LHR-OSL for 75 GBP.

I can also add, that for my original plan, FRA-OSL - while they would charge me over 800 EUR, and "force me" into CE on LHR-OSL, I still managed to book a redemption booking in Y all the way.
Old Feb 4, 12, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
It's not anything to do with BA's pricing but more to do with some Euro bureaucratic nonsense which makes certain one way fares inside Europe very expensive. Try a FRA-ZRH flight and you won't get anything cheaper than several hundred pounds on LH....an IB flight from MAD-ZRH suffers a similar fate.....over 400.
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
I don't know about the routing issue, but LHR-OSL singles in CE are always ridiculously expensive as they apparently don't issue a lot of the reasonable fare classes (it may be J available, D not ever priced?).

I wanted a one way in CE the other day and found 700 was as cheap as it ever got. Had to fly Norwegian for one leg which wasn't all that bad.
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:19 pm
Suspended

anyone who buys a one-way ticket should have their head examined.
just buy round trip and accidentally miss the return flight, duh!
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by martinfoss View Post
Read my post again: If I spilt it, I can fly DUS-LHR for 70 EUR, and LHR-OSL for 75 GBP.

I can also add, that for my original plan, FRA-OSL - while they would charge me over 800 EUR, and "force me" into CE on LHR-OSL, I still managed to book a redemption booking in Y all the way.

Book 2 cheap Y tickets if you can, then upgrade to CE in MMB if the upgrade is available and you want to travel in Club ?

cs
Old Feb 4, 12, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I don't know about the routing issue, but LHR-OSL singles in CE are always ridiculously expensive as they apparently don't issue a lot of the reasonable fare classes (it may be J available, D not ever priced?).

I wanted a one way in CE the other day and found 700 was as cheap as it ever got. Had to fly Norwegian for one leg which wasn't all that bad.
I know that. Thew question isn't why CE is expensive, but why ba.com is "forcing" me into CE on the second leg.

Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
anyone who buys a one-way ticket should have their head examined.
just buy round trip and accidentally miss the return flight, duh!
Well, I didn't think that apply to BA on shorty haul. I know it's not like that between OSL and LHR. 521 NOK is the cheapes one-way they advertise, and a return is twice as much.

Oh, and this trip consists of only one-ways. .
I "accidentally" booked a one way award OSL-LHR-BOS in ET and F, and needed a one way ticket back to Europe. SQ actually sell one-way tickets JFK-FRA for 541,70 USD. A return is 1083,4 USD, so it's still cheaper to buy a one way.

So that's how I ended up in FRA, and wanted to fly to OSL, basically as cheap as possible. However, I found an excuse for a stop in Cologne, and ended up booking SK via CPH.

Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
Book 2 cheap Y tickets if you can, then upgrade to CE in MMB if the upgrade is available and you want to travel in Club ?
I didn't want to travel in CE (well, I do, but not for that price), but just find a cheap ticket from FRA to OSL. However, I as mentioned above, I needed to go from DUS instead, and I ended up booking SK (which were expensive from FRA as well).
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:23 am

Is it supposed to be that expensive to try to be loyal, and choose the route via LHR, or is it a bug?
It's a bug, and one that has also affected, to my knowledge, UK Domestic - Heathrow - Spain ba.com fares.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA don't publish through fares for European connections - commercial policy I guess as you would have to be nuts to connect via LHR for most European routings. BA.com has been programmed to offer the only valid fare which will be the IATA YY price. If the IATA fate is more than the cheapest CE ticket (most likely D class) it will book you there instead. That bit is pretty normal.

Airlines not offering OW fares is not Euro-bureaucracy but their own commercial decision. Look at BA to Spain. The EU does not regulate air fares despite what the Hate Mail might say.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
For an upcoming trip, I needed to go from FRA to OSL, and did a search on ba.com. Lowest price, over 800 Euros!!

Even though I did a search for ET, I was placed in CE for the second leg, so that's probably why.

Plans changed however, and I now need to go from DUS to OSL instead, and have already booked on SK, but I did a search now just for fun, and DUS-OSL was priced at 876 EUR. And, despite searching for Euro Traveller, I'm in Club Europe on the LHR-OSL leg.

If booking a return trip, there's no problem getting ET all the way, and pay only 278 EUR (random dates in June).

Also, searching up the DUS-LHR and LHR-OSL seperately, shows tickets for 70 EUR and 75 GBP.

So, what I'm seeing, is that it's possible booking cheap one-ways, but only to/from London
The reason it is showing you CE is that it will do that if the club price is cheaper than the economy price.

My guess is that only full-fare Y tickets can be combined end-on-end, so DUS-LHR-OSL is effectively pricing as two fully flexible economy tickets (DUS-LHR/LHR-OSL) whereas cheaper fares can be bought for the individual legs to/from London. The CE tickets (which are fully flexible in J, C and D) will then probably be cheaper.

Not so much a 'bug' as BA not having a 'through' ticket for DUS-OSL (unsurprisingly!).
Old Feb 5, 12, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
BA don't publish through fares for European connections - commercial policy I guess as you would have to be nuts to connect via LHR for most European routings. BA.com has been programmed to offer the only valid fare which will be the IATA YY price. If the IATA fate is more than the cheapest CE ticket (most likely D class) it will book you there instead. That bit is pretty normal.
It doesnt seem to be doing that . The YIF and CIF fares are EUR1220

The lowest BA fare from LHR-OSL which allows end-on-end ticketing for international fares, is the business fare whilst even the cheapest DUS-LHR allow end-on end. The BA LHR-OSL J fare is EUR774 ( with CIF at EUR725 ) with the O class FRA-LHR being EUR14 . Even the O class FRA-LHR allows end-on-end ticketing with any other BA fare ( unlike the LHR-OSL fares). Put the 2 together and then add taxes and would come out over EUR800 but less than the FRA-OSL YIF/CIF fares

EUR739 plus taxes of EUR108 would give a fare of EUR847 which would seem to be in the ballpark of what OP was being quoted so definitely doesn't seem like an error in pricing

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 5, 12 at 3:37 am
Old Feb 5, 12, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
BA don't publish through fares for European connections - commercial policy I guess as you would have to be nuts to connect via LHR for most European routings.
Well, then I guess I'm nuts.

Let's have a look at my "situation": I'm in DUS, and need to get to OSL, and search for flights. There are two direct options, one on LH and one on SK. The LH flight leaves at 07:10. I feel that it's a bit too early when one is on vacation - definately more nuts than flying via LHR

The SK flight leaves at 19:05. I feel that is a little bit too late, as I want to get home.

One option is a 13:25 departure from DUS, via CPH. For 1058 NOK, it's a good option, even though I could wait untill 19:05 and pay only 419 NOK. I ended up booking that.

Let's look at BA: There is a 13:30 departure, about the same time as my SK departure. That arrives into LHR at 14:00, with plenty of time to connect to BA768 at 17:15. THey are priced at 70 EUR and 103 GBP. Translated into NOK, that's about 534+944, or a totalt of 1478 NOK. If I wait at LHR untill the BA770, it's selling at 75 GBP. That is a total of 1221 NOK.

So, it would be slightly more expensive that the SK option via CPH, but since I like BA, that is a price I would be willing to pay.

So, there are people (at least one), who wants to fly BA via LHR from DUS to OSL, but with these prices, they will not. BA loses a customer, SK earn one.
Old Feb 5, 12, 6:02 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Air Berlin flies direct from Cologne and I have been given options on flights through BA on the phone that would go from Cologne and Dusseldorf to Oslo. I was also informed that I would get TPs and miles as they have BA codeshares
Old Feb 5, 12, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One option is a 13:25 departure from DUS, via CPH. For 1058 NOK, it's a good option, even though I could wait untill 19:05 and pay only 419 NOK. I ended up booking that.

Let's look at BA: There is a 13:30 departure, about the same time as my SK departure. That arrives into LHR at 14:00, with plenty of time to connect to BA768 at 17:15. THey are priced at 70 EUR and 103 GBP. Translated into NOK, that's about 534+944, or a totalt of 1478 NOK. If I wait at LHR untill the BA770, it's selling at 75 GBP. That is a total of 1221 NOK.

So, it would be slightly more expensive that the SK option via CPH, but since I like BA, that is a price I would be willing to pay.

So, there are people (at least one), who wants to fly BA via LHR from DUS to OSL, but with these prices, they will not. BA loses a customer, SK earn one.

The pricing that the BA site gives is based on the fact that there isn't a through fare on BA from FRA or DUS to OSL and that the only LHR-OSL fare that BA offers which can be combined with another ticket is the business class LHR-OSL fare

It isn't anything to do with Germany per se, this would apply for any European country where combining fares would be needed

Search this Thread
Search Engine: