Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration at T5

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by stifle
There is one, it's called Global Entry but it's only open to Dutch people and by invitation to Brits.
Any idea how get an invite?

Also isn't there something about Amex refunding the fee?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
Irish immigration was 100% in the right; they had no proof of funds to support themselves or hotel bookings.
Lol,who has when inter railing.
I think they had funds though

Several posts in the Travel Safety/Security forum have led me to believe that the USCBP quite regularly ask excessive questions of citizens.
Rofl and where do the deport them when they refuse them entry...or what happens if the person says mind your own business? I mean fifth amendment and all that..

There is one, it's called Global Entry but it's only open to Dutch people and by invitation to Brits.
me please
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Any idea how get an invite?

Also isn't there something about Amex refunding the fee?
I'm Irish so I haven't looked into it, nor do I plan to

I hear Amex platinum cardmembers in the US have their fee refunded.
Originally Posted by Earthman
Rofl and where do the deport them when they refuse them entry...or what happens if the person says mind your own business? I mean fifth amendment and all that..
They can't refuse them entry of course, but they can put them in a room for two hours and laboriously search them and their bags, use all their high-tech machines, and generally make it unpleasant.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Is that the way it is entering the u.s as a us passport holder if you go via an agent by the way or do you get asked questions before you exercise what I presume is your right to return to your own country?
I'm just curious.

Will they ever have an iris type system for frequent trusted foreigners entering the U.S.Because it's the one thing I hate and thats being at the random mercy of the humour of an official.
As a US citizen entering the US, I've always been happy with customs and border patrol. Other than conducting a "reasonable" search of your person/items, they cannot deny a US citizen entry. I've never been searched, though, following reports of folks having their laptops confiscated,I have used encryption software to protect client privilege.

They do have a system for trusted travelers called Global Entry which also works well.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Lol,who has when inter railing.
I think they had funds though

me please

http://nomadlaw.com/2010/04/i-am-det...ing-questions/

They can't do a thing but let you in.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
http://nomadlaw.com/2010/04/i-am-det...ing-questions/

They can't do a thing but let you in.
Yeh baby, stick it to the man ^^^
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Turkish Silver
IRIS to close down ?

a uk immi officer told me last week that very soon the IRIS stations will be replaced by the E-Passport reader. don't know if this will improve or even worsen the current chaotic situation... any ideas on that
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by headhuntercyprus
a uk immi officer told me last week that very soon the IRIS stations will be replaced by the E-Passport reader. don't know if this will improve or even worsen the current chaotic situation... any ideas on that
Try the thirty-something page IRIS thread.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
ah, but you see, I have Global Entry, which means that I can bypass most of the hassles with US CBP.

My experiences, however, have been almost overwhelmingly positive with US customs - I once even found out that I was from the same tiny town as the screener.

My experience with UKBA has been more negative and questioning.

On my last interaction with the surly staff, the screener said: "I've been working here for 8 years and can send you right back where you came from, do you want to talk to the Chief border officer?"

Me: Yes, please.

I sat and checked my emails for 3 minutes, the Chief border officer came over, we had a pleasant chat, she stood by the surly clerk who handed my passport to me without a word. I said "have a good day", to which the surly clerk shot me a look that only Gordon Ramsay can give and entered the UK.

The Chief officer walked/chatted with me, apologized for the surly clerk's behaviour and said that she would speak with her about her actions.

For what it's worth, Hong Kong has the quickest international customs I've ever experienced.

Oh really.... please

The USCBP really sets the standard for obnoxious treatment of arriving passengers in the first world. They do seem to vary by location, which I find strange, but the majority of my fairly regular experiences at ORD, MIA and DFW have been poor. A significant number have been downright awful. Waits of 45 minutes for immigration at ORD and DFW are standard. As likely as not, you will then receive a surly and aggressive interrogation which to me serves no obvious purpose other than to cause discomfort and make it plain who it is that wields the stick. And then you get the same again from a customs official. This latter aspect has become markedly worse over the past year or so and waits for customs can now also be significant. Again, what they are trying to achieve by it completely defeats me. Interestingly, the one place that I have found to be OK is JFK but I rarely use it.

That laptop or phone that you were using to check your emails while you waited would have been confiscated in an instant had you been at a US airport. Also, you would not have been left in the general area but would have been frogmarched off to the "secondary inspection" room. I suspect that after this (and yes, I have been there) you would see UKBA in an altogether different light.

And to respond to another theme in this thread, I cannot accept that it should be possible to buy a better or faster level of service from a government organisation. It's my belief that they have a duty to provide equal treatment to all. That's not to say that they shouldn't improve, just that they should improve for everyone, not just for those who are able or who choose to pay for it.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Random Flyer
And to respond to another theme in this thread, I cannot accept that it should be possible to buy a better or faster level of service from a government organisation. It's my belief that they have a duty to provide equal treatment to all. That's not to say that they shouldn't improve, just that they should improve for everyone, not just for those who are able or who choose to pay for it.
I think the only way it would ever be truly egalitarian is if the politicians and civil servants in charge were forced to wait in the same long lines as everyone else. Sadly, in the US, this is not the case, as TSA management and national politicians are permitted by policy to skip the lines. Since the people in charge don't have to deal with the problem themselves, things will take a long time to improve.

And I definitely agree about the poor attitude of US customs and immigration workers! Although the UKBA has been unnecessarily rude to me at times, the US is always more so.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just as bad at T3

E-gates closed at T3 this morning, but the confusing signage and tensa barriers meant people tried the IRIS gates instead. Passengers caught inside IRIS; UKBA official storming around telling people to go to join the ever-lengthening queue to be seen by a real person. Said official not understanding that people were trying to be helpful using the electronic systems to save time and let the human processors deal with visitors to the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.