Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration at T5

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Yesterday it was a shambles.
I arrived on an early flight, thankfully, but IRIS was closed (although both gates seemed to be working with green arrows), the e-gates were flashing red and only 2 staff working the EU area.
Someone, somewhere is deliberately putting a spanner in the works IMO. Why have a tensa barrier across IRIS when it's working?
Why not turn the e-gates on?
I can only think that it is to build queues initially, so there are queues the whole day to try and justify some jobs, extra staff, increased breaks etc etc that so called "public servants" seem to think they're entitled to.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:33 am
Suspended

Can't wait to get IRIS, personally. That way, I'm able to avoid the surly UKBA.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by OPebble
Because the UK is not part of the Schengen Agreement and thus treats EU PAX as foreigners.
Not really. Not that long ago, EU passports were not routinely scanned. Now all EU passports are scanned, remember that includes British Citizens, who travel on EU passports too.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
Can't wait to get IRIS, personally. That way, I'm able to avoid the surly UKBA.
Because they are so much friendlier elsewhere? Singapore or not too bad, the US are def holding out to make everyone else look good.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan72
Because they are so much friendlier elsewhere? Singapore or not too bad, the US are def holding out to make everyone else look good.
ah, but you see, I have Global Entry, which means that I can bypass most of the hassles with US CBP.

My experiences, however, have been almost overwhelmingly positive with US customs - I once even found out that I was from the same tiny town as the screener.

My experience with UKBA has been more negative and questioning.

On my last interaction with the surly staff, the screener said: "I've been working here for 8 years and can send you right back where you came from, do you want to talk to the Chief border officer?"

Me: Yes, please.

I sat and checked my emails for 3 minutes, the Chief border officer came over, we had a pleasant chat, she stood by the surly clerk who handed my passport to me without a word. I said "have a good day", to which the surly clerk shot me a look that only Gordon Ramsay can give and entered the UK.

The Chief officer walked/chatted with me, apologized for the surly clerk's behaviour and said that she would speak with her about her actions.

For what it's worth, Hong Kong has the quickest international customs I've ever experienced.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
ah, but you see, I have Global Entry, which means that I can bypass most of the hassles with US CBP.

My experiences, however, have been almost overwhelmingly positive with US customs - I once even found out that I was from the same tiny town as the screener.

My experience with UKBA has been more negative and questioning.

On my last interaction with the surly staff, the screener said: "I've been working here for 8 years and can send you right back where you came from, do you want to talk to the Chief border officer?"

I sat and checked my emails for 3 minutes, the Chief border officer came over, we had a pleasant chat, she stood by the surly clerk who handed my passport to me without a word. I said "have a good day", to which the surly clerk shot me a look that only Gordon Ramsay can give and entered the UK.

The Chief officer walked/chatted with me, apologized for the surly clerk's behaviour and said that she would speak with her about her actions.

For what it's worth, Hong Kong has the quickest international customs I've ever experienced.
what passport do you have?

Going through canadian immigration at yvr on the ba 2012 sale recently I was sent for secondary interview and my bag thoroughly searched,for a half hour because "why would someone fly all the way over here for just 3 days"
I've a good job here at home and fly a lot in my leisure time often on a whim,and when asked for my return ticket,I showed it to them on the BA app.
Still surly they were .
They also went through my wallet,sifting through my credit cards,ba gold card and lol my four seasons by invitation card.
Throughout I was thinking..what sort of profiling are they doing here...

Similar 3 days later at preclearance,just to transit the states for a ba flight on the same day back to London though without the secondary.
Loads of questions about my job and then the kicker..do you have any other ID on you.I showed my irish drivers licence...here was me thinking at that stage,what is my passport not good enough.
I love visiting the states and my passport is full of us. stamps as a result.
This was the most serious grilling I've got though and somewhat unnecessary in my opinion.
Their profiling system is not too good if they think I'm going to over stay or am a terrorist.
It wouldn't fill you with confidence and certainly on that occasion was not welcoming.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche

I sat and checked my emails for 3 minutes, the Chief border officer came over, we had a pleasant chat, she stood by the surly clerk who handed my passport to me without a word.
Well done. They are sometimes a bit too big for their breeches, so to speak

Originally Posted by Earthman
I love visiting the states and my passport is full of us. stamps as a result. This was the most serious grilling I've got though and somewhat unnecessary in my opinion.
Yes, the breeches sizing problem is a transatlantic one, unfortunately.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by LHR-HUB
Yesterday it was a shambles.
I arrived on an early flight, thankfully, but IRIS was closed (although both gates seemed to be working with green arrows), the e-gates were flashing red and only 2 staff working the EU area.
Someone, somewhere is deliberately putting a spanner in the works IMO. Why have a tensa barrier across IRIS when it's working?
Why not turn the e-gates on?
I can only think that it is to build queues initially, so there are queues the whole day to try and justify some jobs, extra staff, increased breaks etc etc that so called "public servants" seem to think they're entitled to.

The e-gates need a member of staff to monitor them - there is someone in the booth in front of them. Am not sure what they do but I have seen my pic on the screens as I have gone past.

THe queues are a result of staffing levels set much higher up in the chain and the same people deciding on this are also the ones demanding more and thorough checks (which take time) yet to process people quickly to cut queues.

And if you want thorough checks you need alert staff and that requires a certain amount of break time.

If it takes say 1 minute to scan the passport you can't set a target of the staff doing it in 30 seconds and base staffing levels on that.

Unless you are prepared to have the numbers of staff needed you can have checks or speed but not both.

BTW In my experience of immigration queues (like security queues) is that most delays are caused by PASSENGERS not being ready and following instructions.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:19 am
Suspended

what passport do you have?
US (with stamps from all over the world), and a UK visa which allows me to stay/work in the UK long term, and travel.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ab...ow-to-complain

I think the option you need to select is:

I am unhappy about the standard of service received from the UK Border Agency (other than in the categories listed above)

Then email [email protected]
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:41 am

US (with stamps from all over the world), and a UK visa which allows me to stay/work in the UK long term, and travel.
About 2 years ago a group of u.s students were sent home by irish immigration.
There was uproar here and the minister intervened.
They were welcomed back,flights paid for and a dublin hotel gave them free accomadation.

Sometimes,officials can be jobsworths.
My passport entitles me to entry into the uk,free movement etc yet once I was asked the "foreigner questions" by a surly ukba lass.
Every other time,it's been a smile,good to be home chat about the weather and bye.

Is that the way it is entering the u.s as a us passport holder if you go via an agent by the way or do you get asked questions before you exercise what I presume is your right to return to your own country?
I'm just curious.

Will they ever have an iris type system for frequent trusted foreigners entering the U.S.Because it's the one thing I hate and thats being at the random mercy of the humour of an official.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Will they ever have an iris type system for frequent trusted foreigners entering the U.S.Because it's the one thing I hate and thats being at the random mercy of the humour of an official.

She looks happy
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BTW In my experience of immigration queues (like security queues) is that most delays are caused by PASSENGERS not being ready and following instructions.
Agree with all you said.

On the point quoted above, the OH was trying to use one of the 6 e-passport booths at LGW on Friday. It would have worked faster if someone with a large roll-aboard hadn't blocked access to all the booths by standing in the narrow access area and chatting.

People ... they should be banned
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:59 am

I may be a bit biased but I find the immigration staff at JNB to be consistently the friendliest - the overall experience can be mixed though depending on time of day/flights arriving before.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
About 2 years ago a group of u.s students were sent home by irish immigration.
There was uproar here and the minister intervened.
They were welcomed back,flights paid for and a dublin hotel gave them free accomadation.
Irish immigration was 100% in the right; they had no proof of funds to support themselves or hotel bookings.

Is that the way it is entering the u.s as a us passport holder if you go via an agent by the way or do you get asked questions before you exercise what I presume is your right to return to your own country?
I'm just curious.
Several posts in the Travel Safety/Security forum have led me to believe that the USCBP quite regularly ask excessive questions of citizens.
There is one, it's called Global Entry but it's only open to Dutch people and by invitation to Brits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.