Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Delta taking over AA - impact on OneWorld ? [speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta taking over AA - impact on OneWorld ? [speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Somehow I get the feeling this discussion will remain a hypothetical one. Will be shocked to be proved wrong!
At least for the next 12-18 months - I don't believe anyone can make a formal bid for AA at this point in the Chapter 11 process.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I can't see Delta (a) getting regulatory approval without HUGE concessions and (b) a strategic reason for a merger besides simply swallowing up another competitor.

The main reasoning is that as it stands from the DL-NWA tie up, DL has a hub in basically every other US city.

ATL
CVG
DTW
MSP
NYC (JFK/LGA)
MEM
SLC

AA has hubs in:
MIA
ORD
DFW
JFK
LAX

This is simply too many hubs to operate sustainably. DL would almost inevitably shut 2 of 4 (keeping ORD): MEM, CVG, DTW, MSP
Consolidation would happen between MIA/ATL/DFW
NYC, SLC, LAX could be kept.

At that point, you're simply trading crap hubs like MEM for slots at more lucrative hubs like ORD - a good strategy in theory, but not one that would be best for DL at this point, based on what I know about their position.

Given the extremely strong DL AF KL tie up, a AA/DL would without a doubt stay in Skyteam. This would be extremely devastating to oneworld, as the only other North American player (US) has really quite crappy hubs, EVEN if they pulled them from *A to 1W. I can just see that PHX-HKG service

What is more likely, in my opinion, is that AA will emerge from CH11 independent. AMR will then proceed to look into ways it can strengthen its own position, likely in the form of an enhanced AA-AS partnership (instead of the current AS-DL tie up) or perhaps outright buyout, or, a AA-US merge, which would likely lead to AA closing CLT or PHL as a hub but taking significant advantage of the DCA slots. The combined airline would be named AA and would retain 1W membership.
I'd say, though, that it is most likely that AA will simply walk out of CH11 and continue business as usual.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
If the acquisition rumours are true I doubt it would pass the consumer and competition commission equivalent in the US
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm not quite certain what benefit AA's membership of OneWorld brings to BA.
From the Centre for Aviation's piece last week:-
... American has made clear that it will place high priority on its alliance relationships as it goes through this process, citing the great value it gains from oneworld notably on the North Atlantic under the antitrust immunity regime and, by implication, from its main partner, British Airways.

(The anti-trust benefits may be skewed with Americans passengers appreciating the alliance more than BAs. BA commercial director Drew Crawley remarked the largest growth on BA trans-Atlantic flights is from Americans frequent flyers taking BA-coded and BA-operated flights, essentially bypassing American except to earn frequent flyer miles. The largest growth for AA, however, is from BA selling codeshares on American-operated flights, indicating BA customers are still making BA their first point of call to book flights. Explanations could be that Americans passengers are finally availing themselves of BAs more extensive US destinations before ATI they could not earn frequent flyer miles on BAs US-UK flights and/or they prefer BAs service.)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Somehow I get the feeling this discussion will remain a hypothetical one. Will be shocked to be proved wrong!
+1

What I do wonder some days is whether people have come over to BA rather than fly AA of they can earn miles at BA - or have more gone to AA from BA for the same reasons?

That is about as speculative and without any substance as these rumours DL/AA but just as interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.