Reward Availability LHR - BKK

Old Jan 15, 12, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver Elite
Reward Availability LHR - BKK

HI there,

I have been reading lots on here about reward availability and have been following the LHR -BKK flight each day as the flights get released for travel next January. I've been waiting til midnight until the flights get released. Each day for the best part of the last 2 weeks there have been 2F, 2C, 3W and 4Y reward seats released. So I was thinking I was in luck as I need to fly on the 4th Jan 2013 and have managed to save enough points for Business Class for the 2 of us. THis morning, I've logged on at exactly midnight to find that there are no first or business class seats released!

Is this because it's a Friday night flight? What chance do I have of getting 2CW reward seats on this flight? How comes they didn't release any premium class seats on this flight when they have released 2 seats every day since 24th December? Living in Bangkok, we have saved for ages to be able to upgrade and it's so frustrating when things don't work out! Any advice?
Old Jan 15, 12, 7:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It sounds like BA did not release any award seats except for in economy class. I assume they are expecting seats to sell well?

You could book RJ via AMM in business class - they have award seats available.
Or BA/CJ-> AY via CPH and HEL, or BA/CX via HKG.
Old Jan 15, 12, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
It sounds like BA did not release any award seats except for in economy class. I assume they are expecting seats to sell well?

Thanks for the quick reply... it's significantly more points and money for any of the other options!!

Is it possible for people to pre-book award seats before they're released? Maybe this is why none were released?
Old Jan 15, 12, 8:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by kirbster73 View Post
Is it possible for people to pre-book award seats before they're released? Maybe this is why none were released?
I don't think it is possible to pre-book award seats before they are released. However, it's possible that some people were very, very quick, as I believe it is one of the very popular routes.

I'm afraid you need to be flexible with dates if you want to be sure of securing your seats on some routes much of the time.

You could perhaps consider flying to another Asian destination on award seats and then booking economy class return flights to BKK if you do not have enough Avios to book via somewhere else.

Having said that, I am not very experienced with miles/points bookings (I tend to be an accumulator rather than a spender of points/miles) and someone else will probably come along later on to offer you much better suggestions though.
Old Jan 16, 12, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How comes they didn't release any premium class seats on this flight when they have released 2 seats every day since 24th December?

Probably because Revenue Management know that the premium cabins aren't going to be full of revenue passengers during the Christmas/New Year period.

However the weekend of 4-5-6 Jan 2013 is going to be one of the business travel weekends of the year, with people returning to work after the holiday, and families returning for the start of school term.
Old Jan 16, 12, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

However the weekend of 4-5-6 Jan 2013 is going to be one of the business travel weekends of the year, with people returning to work after the holiday, and families returning for the start of school term.
Surely, that's for UK holidays only, leavnig UK and heading to Asia wouldn't be end of school holidays though for the vast majority of Thailand where Christmas isn't celebrated and the kids are still at school. Even if people were continuing on to Australia, it's the middle of their long Summer holiday and they don't go back until the end of Jan/ early Feb.

I'll wait and see what tomorrow's flight release brings! Is there any way of checking whether i was just 5 seconds out and just missed both seats or whether they were ever released??

Is there also any way of being notified if more CW redemption seats are released?
Old Jan 16, 12, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Is there any way of checking whether i was just 5 seconds out and just missed both seats or whether they were ever released??

Is there also any way of being notified if more CW redemption seats are released?
No to both I'm afraid - its a matter of checking as often as you can.
Old Jan 16, 12, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
HI there,

I have been reading lots on here about reward availability and have been following the LHR -BKK flight each day as the flights get released for travel next January. I've been waiting til midnight until the flights get released. Each day for the best part of the last 2 weeks there have been 2F, 2C, 3W and 4Y reward seats released. So I was thinking I was in luck as I need to fly on the 4th Jan 2013 and have managed to save enough points for Business Class for the 2 of us. THis morning, I've logged on at exactly midnight to find that there are no first or business class seats released!

Is this because it's a Friday night flight? What chance do I have of getting 2CW reward seats on this flight? How comes they didn't release any premium class seats on this flight when they have released 2 seats every day since 24th December? Living in Bangkok, we have saved for ages to be able to upgrade and it's so frustrating when things don't work out! Any advice?
It is very hard to predict what seats will be released, even with all the factors catered for. When doing a 'test sample' it is always worth being aware of how the sampled dates will differ from your real dates. This is a case in point; the sales make up Outstation to UK is hugely different 2 or 3 days into the New Year than the preceding week or so. By and large some nights will almost never pop up at t-355, in any case.
So what to do?
I'd be taking the F or CW seats from a day or two earlier (bird-in-the-hand), and swapping over if and when F / CW does come available. Which may be in 2 days when rev mgt press the button again, may be in 6 weeks once BA have a better feel (seems to be more of this lately), may be nearer Christmas, may be any other time!
In the mean time, I'd probably be booking the return legs if/when they pop up.
I'd be cautiously confident given the SYD sector is no more, and we're talking 747. If they never pop up, then be prepared to travel a day earlier / later.
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:08 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post

BKK ex HKG in J is only 30000 Avios points or 40000 Asia Miles, I have bookings for both, 1 around Easter, the other out of season for a boys weekend. Worth considering and maybe having a night or 2 in HKG.
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for your detailed response. We are resident in BKK, I picked up 2WT+ seats to go back to the UK on a one way reward(thanks to advice on here previously about not waiting until T+355 for the return) before Christmas but in order to maximise our time in the UK and return back to BKK in time for work on the Monday 7th the Friday night (4th Jan) flight is our only real option. I did grab the only WT+ reward seats that were released this morning but would love to change given the chance as CW is much better value both monetary and AVIOS wise!!! Am i right in thinking that, if availability does pop up, I could ring up, release the current booking and snag the availability subject to slightly increased taxes and AVIOS?
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:21 am
uk1
Suspended

HI there,

Welcome.

The issue is I'm sorry to say really simple. You have it in mind (I think) that every BA flight will have a seat or two for redemption and if you are "quick enough" you'll nab one ... or two. Your strategy is correct ie log on all the time particularly just after midnight .... but you're choosing flights that BA hope they can sell. The idea that every flight has redemption availibility and if you are quick enough you'll get it ... is the source of your dissapointment. Alternatively .. you can wait optimistically for last minute seat releases which will probably "do your head in" and tip you over the edge if you need to make plans.

The attitude to redemption is that either you pay for seats when you need them or your dates and periods away on return trips must be really - almost pathalogically flexible (quadrupally if you want two seats .....) and you must expect to be dissapointed ...... or that you will use your Avios to go anywhere.

This isn't what you want to hear but it is a starting point for you understanding how it might work.

Report back and let us know how it goes.
Old Jan 16, 12, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Yes, as a BKK regular, I am sorry to say my feedback would be to have nil expectation on this route - I don't think I have ever seen a reward seat in J or F!

The HKG option is interesting, I might check that out in future. Then you could combine it with a very civilised Hkg-Bkk hop onboard Emirates.

Good luck
Old Jan 18, 12, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Hi again,

Thanks for all your very useful advice. I have a couple more questions.

1) Does all reward availability only get changed /updated at midnight each day or at various times throughout each day?

2) Is it possible to change both the date and class of reward flight or even just the class of your reward flight online or do I need to cancel and then rebook?

3) If it's not possible to do question 2, if I cancel online do the avios points go back immediately so that I can rebook in a different class straight afterwards?

OK, so it wasn't a couple but 3 questions instead!!!

Thanks anyway
Old Jan 18, 12, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Hi again,

Thanks for all your very useful advice. I have a couple more questions.

1) Does all reward availability only get changed /updated at midnight each day or at various times throughout each day?

No, advice in the past has been to check first thing and mid afternoon (UK time)

2) Is it possible to change both the date and class of reward flight or even just the class of your reward flight online or do I need to cancel and then rebook?

Date yes, class I don't think so. Be aware that after one change any ability to change anything usually breaks on the website and you have to call

3) If it's not possible to do question 2, if I cancel online do the avios points go back immediately so that I can rebook in a different class straight afterwards?

Usually yes but other have occasionally reported otherwise

Search this Thread
Search Engine: