Search

BA's PA Blunder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:55 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
BA's PA Blunder

Silly Australian press just love to wind things up. Although I know if I was on the plane in question, I would have grabbed the prettiest girl and a bottle of champagne

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...117-1q3xx.html
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would have thought that most people on the aeroplane hearing that the aeroplane was going to crash into the sea would be very worried and hardly seems an article "winding things up" but reporting from what news reports reported

Seems to just be repeating exactly what was posted in http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ht-London.html and close to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...g-message.html

But obviously the fora can never let an opportunity to try and blame the Australian press for daring to report events
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack
Although I know if I was on the plane in question, I would have grabbed the prettiest girl and a bottle of champagne
What he said...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Silly Australian press just love to wind things up. Although I know if I was on the plane in question, I would have grabbed the prettiest girl and a bottle of champagne

Me too, although might have needed the Champagne bottle to subdue her by now irate boyfriend.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
I think a round of champagne, or spirits for the whole plane should have been in order after that!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

I love the picture of a BA shorthaul airbus

These PA's happen every so often and always get the same sort of press reports, i wouldnt be surprised if the main content of the article isnt exactly the same each time it happens, just with different reports from people on the plane !

Slow news day me thinks

cs
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Daily Mail is becoming a scarily dominant theme on this forum. I appreciate thatb this would have been briefly traumatic although frankly if the plane was flying straight and level with no other obvious signs of distress you might have guessed it was an error.

Not sure what said family wanted at the time beyond and apology (individual pyschotherapy? - should BA carry these on board as an alternative to the VS masseur to provide solace for those distressed by warm champagne etc.) but for a paper that condemns ostensibly the compensation culture, why are they giving prominence to a family who clearly are angling for some dosh to compensate for their distress.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
You probably would have had to wait until the Champagne was properly chilled
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
I've no idea how I would have reacted and hope I never have to find out! I hope I would have acted with dignity and hugged my lovely wife.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:44 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by amaroo
You probably would have had to wait until the Champagne was properly chilled
Dont start me with warm champagne! Bling Air is notorious for serving it warm. I didn't think a classy airline like BA would ever commit such a crime
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Be interesting to know if the switches had been tampered with. On the 747 the emergency announcement buttons are covered with a plastic guard and sealed with a copper wire, difficult to set off accidentally.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
A question for BBB et al. How easy would this be to do? Is it just another button on some panel somewhere that activates this announcement - and hence could easily be pressed instead of something else - or something more complex?

Update: Seems the poster above answered my question before I got time to ask it
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
A question for BBB et al. How easy would this be to do? Is it just another button on some panel somewhere that activates this announcement - and hence could easily be pressed instead of something else - or something more complex?
See above, both of us posting at same time.

On the 747 they can and have been set off by passengers deliberately. This was one of the reasons the plastic guards and seals were put over the buttons.

On the 777s the announcements are controlled via the inflight entertainment system and as such are not accessible to the general public.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:05 am
scr

Programs: M&M, BAEC
Originally Posted by sammyh25
On the 777s the announcements are controlled via the inflight entertainment system and as such are not accessible to the general public.
I must be missing something, because that sounds exactly like it was accessible to the general public.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by scr
I must be missing something, because that sounds exactly like it was accessible to the general public.
Not the in flight entertainment system at passenger seats, the announcements are controlled from the crew terminal that controls the IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.