Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Countdown to A380 (first delivery arrived, 4 July)....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Countdown to A380 (first delivery arrived, 4 July)....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Interesting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16649334
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Yeh - saw that. Not too sure what to make of it yet.

I kind of feel in these new technology / design on computer thingies, that a good deal of practical data (real world t/offs and flying hours) can supplement the original design estimates.
Happily for BA I would imagine several hundred minor improvements will be incorporated into the design-mark they receive compared with the originally delivered A380s.

Nevertheless, one can't help feeling the present cracks were not really part of the design.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Interesting...

And because I'm sure the lack of clickability annoyed others as much as it did me:

Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
While I completely get the desire to sit on the upper deck of the 747, I'm not so sure it'll be the same on the A380. Perhaps it'll be different once I get on one, but does it actually "feel" any different from being on the lower deck.

On the 747, its feels that little bit more special because its a small narrower cabin.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by littlefish

I kind of feel in these new technology / design on computer thingies, that a good deal of practical data (real world t/offs and flying hours) can supplement the original design estimates.
Happily for BA I would imagine several hundred minor improvements will be incorporated into the design-mark they receive compared with the originally delivered A380s.
Yes - they will also get the advantage of improved engines as they go through minor improvements, particularly to fuel efficiently, which is of course extremely important these days.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Together with some major improvements - BA deferred delivery until next year to get the benefit of those.
Nevertheless, one can't help feeling the present cracks were not really part of the design.
No, but all aircraft will develop some cracks over time. Some are serious and some aren't. I'm sure Airbus and the airlines are well used to watching non-serious ones once discovered.
Originally Posted by Paralytic
While I completely get the desire to sit on the upper deck of the 747, I'm not so sure it'll be the same on the A380. Perhaps it'll be different once I get on one, but does it actually "feel" any different from being on the lower deck.
You can get a rough idea from the description of the 380 being a 767 cabin plonked on top of a 747 cabin. Being on the 380 UD is far from being special.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:57 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Yeh - saw that. Not too sure what to make of it yet.

Cracks will exist in many airframe parts over their life. The vast majority are not serious. Some will be relieved by being drilled out where appropriate to stop further propogation. Not really a big deal....now in a structural part they ae monitored really very closely, ie a wing spar. Quite a few military aircraft over the years have been grounded because of fatigue and / or cracks in the main wing spar - the whole RAF Buccaneer fleet in the early 1980s being very memorable.

Can't remember the last time a design flaw on an airlner that produced structural cracks resulted in an accident or grounding though
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Paralytic

On the 747, its feels that little bit more special because its a small narrower cabin.
In my experience - no - mainly because the most thrilling part with the 747 is without doubt the novelty of going up a staircase while you're inside a plane

Whilst the A380 contains a staircase front and rear, you tend to board directly onto the UD.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You can get a rough idea from the description of the 380 being a 767 cabin plonked on top of a 747 cabin. Being on the 380 UD is far from being special.
A380 upper deck is rather wider than 767 - more like A330.

Two airlines who operate cattle class on A380 upper deck:
Singapore:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...-841/1683642/L
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...-841/1671515/L
Air France:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-F...-861/1762880/L
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-F...-861/1761405/L
China Southern also has upper deck Cattle, but could not find pictures of lower deck cattle class.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold
The wing rib cracks have been know about for a while, they found them when examining the Qantas aircraft which had the uncontained engine failure leaving Singapore last year.

They have traced it back to an issue in the manufacturing process, rather than a design flaw, the process has been adjusted accordingley to fix this.

For those who are intrested you should keep an eye on http://www.a380production.com

The first sightings of parts will show up there. It currentlt takes around 12 weeks to assemble an A380 in TLS, then off to Hamburg for cabin outfitting.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Apparently parts for the first BA 380, G-XLEA, are in production with the parts due to arrive at TLS over the summer.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Airworthiness Directive 20 Jan 2012

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) have issued an Airworthiness Directive relating to the cracking found in the A380 wing rib.

Airworthiness Directive

Following an unscheduled internal inspection of an A380 wing, some rib feet
have been found with cracks originating from the rib to skin panel attachment
holes (Type 1 cracks according to Airbus All Operator Telex (AOT)
terminology).
Further to this finding, inspections were carried out on a number of other
aeroplanes where further cracks have been found. During one of those
inspections, a new form of rib foot cracking originating from the forward and aft
edges of the vertical web of the rib feet has been identified (Type 2 cracks
according to Airbus AOT terminology). The new form of cracking is more
significant than the original rib foot hole cracking. It has been determined that
the Type 2 cracks may develop on other aeroplanes after a period of time in
service.
This condition, if not detected and corrected, could potentially affect the
structural integrity of the aeroplane.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOH
Cracks will exist in many airframe parts over their life. The vast majority are not serious. Some will be relieved by being drilled out where appropriate to stop further propogation. Not really a big deal....now in a structural part they ae monitored really very closely, ie a wing spar. Quite a few military aircraft over the years have been grounded because of fatigue and / or cracks in the main wing spar - the whole RAF Buccaneer fleet in the early 1980s being very memorable.

Can't remember the last time a design flaw on an airlner that produced structural cracks resulted in an accident or grounding though
The BA Concorde fleet was also reported to have cracks in it's wings only the day before the AF crash. The crash was of course unrelated to this problem - which turned out not to be one of any signifigance.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
Also LOPA -wise. May be some surprises
Don't tell me they've dropped First... or moved it behind WT? It wouldn't surprise me given the stupid Mid-J 747 layout
Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:14 pm

Just heard from a reliable source that we are going to see BA A380 at LAX next year

Last edited by maclover; Jan 28, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.