Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Countdown to A380 (first delivery arrived, 4 July)....

Old Jan 13, 12, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/EK/VS/TP Gold, Coutts Silk, Centurion

So after deferal of the orders past 2012, I believe we are now ~1 year from setting foot on the first BA branded A380.... 12 ordered in total (I couldn't find anything suggested delivery was deferred even further).

So why not start a post to store confirmed layout, confirmed seating, confirmed EIS, as well as all the speculation beforehand.

All we know at the moment is what it will look like from the outside (http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_gb) and I would guess that New WT and WT+ will feature. Since the 747s aren't even converted yet (perhaps by 2013!) I imagine we will see NF in a 777 type layout either front of upper/lower deck. Probably 14 seats again.

Will NGCW be put in? Or are we in for an updated/modified version that can also port to the new 787s?

Will BA include "Galleries in the Sky" lounges? Will they have showers (unlikely IMO)?

Personally I think it will upper-deck front NF, rest NGCW (70+ seats), and downstairs a similar layout for WT+ followed by WT. Little open area/lounges. Maybe something small in F (CCR for the A380 lol).
Old Jan 13, 12, 7:46 am

Programs: BA
Likely routes ? Will NYC be too short to maximise yield ? (or have I got it the wrong way round?).

For cabin lay out I'd argue they'd do the same as QF with F on the LD at the front, with WT covering the rest of that level. Upstairs would see CW right up until a single WTP cabin at the rear.

I don't see BA doing a "bar" area, but I'd imagine a vastly improved Club Kitchen, maybe even shared with WTP.

edit

I'm planning on an F to NYC in summer 2013 (2-4-1 and mileage already sorted ). It would be fantastic to do it on a brand new A380 from T5
Old Jan 13, 12, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I have seen the seating plan for the A380...

The Presidential Suite on the Upper Deck is most impressive... ^

And thats all I am saying about that
Old Jan 13, 12, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malkie View Post
Likely routes ?
I would imagine, as will all other carriers who introduced it, there will be a period of time where you will be able to hop backwards and forward to CDG, or maybe a little further, such as MAD till your hearts content on the beast... ^

And, hopefully, I will be there, welcoming you aboard with a glass of something fizzy...!
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:22 am

Until there are enough 380s to serve the longer routes the maximum sector length that will allow a single aircraft to service the route is c9hrs, 9 hour flight followed by a 3 hr turnaround, so expect to see it on MIA, BOM, DEL etc. It is theoretically possible to see it on slightly longer routes but this leaves little or no flex for rectification and unfamiliarity. As BBB states it is also likely to be bouncing around Europe for crew training purposes so CDG and MAD are also favourites for it's early days. Ultimately expect to see it on LAX, SFO, HKG, JNB and JFK.

Take all the above with a pinch of salt, I have heard rumours and am making some educated guesses but as with all these things nothing is set in stone.
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:28 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I really wouldn't hold my breath! With all that is going on in IAG I am sure that there will be some strategic revisiting of aircraft orders...................
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It will be interesting to see BA's 380 LOPA.

No doubt whatever seats will be in this aircraft will also be on the 787.

I hope that CW retains the signature yin-yang configuration. But I am sure that it will be a new seat because the supplier who made the privacy screen material is no longer in business.

If BA went for 2-2-2 on the UD that might be a poor use of space. Furthermore it is difficult to see a 2-3-2 configuration with only one centre seat, unless they extended the space around this seat.

I am going to make a prediction: CW will be a new seat and will be 2-4-2 on the lower deck

I assume that F will be PRIME and WTP/WT will be STRIPE however.
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy View Post
I have seen the seating plan for the A380...

The Presidential Suite on the Upper Deck is most impressive... ^

And thats all I am saying about that
you tease
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by origin View Post
you tease
Indeed!

Although, in all seriousness, I have seen the plan, but for obvious reasons will not comment on the seating plan or the cabin that is planned for the aircraft.

I will of course still contribute to the thread if and where I can.
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a bit of inside info and 6F is a bit right and a bit wrong.
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed!

Although, in all seriousness, I have seen the plan, but for obvious reasons will not comment on the seating plan or the cabin that is planned for the aircraft.

I will of course still contribute to the thread if and where I can.
I like a surprise and can wait until when BA announce the plans. Otherwise I will forget I even knew about the info.

Hope all is well with you.
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by origin View Post
I like a surprise and can wait until when BA announce the plans. Otherwise I will forget I even knew about the info.

Hope all is well with you.
All good thank you. Today is a good day.
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is important to remember that in addition to the obvious (the seat and the IFE) any airline introducing a new airplane can also choose to launch new services and catering in conjunction.

I wonder if BA has new service processes in place. And I think it is fair to assume that the recent efforts to improve the quality of the catering are part of the exercise.

:excited:
Old Jan 13, 12, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
I have a bit of inside info and 6F is a bit right and a bit wrong.
You tease!

I guess that whether or not it is a new CW seat depends also on the number of seat shipsets agreed with BE Aerospace and if 380 was included. After all, we know that BA are still receiving shipsets of NGCW from BE for the 777-300s so it is still an in-production seat.

Maybe NGCW will be on the 380s for 7 years or so before retrofitting.

If this is the case, everybody will be moaning on this board in 2018 that A380s are rubbish...
Old Jan 13, 12, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All good thank you. Today is a good day.
Have you got what you wanted then??

Search this Thread
Search Engine: