Wiki Posts
Search

O/T - Emirates increase GLA service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by alex1948
QR tends to launch new European routes with an A319 eg TXL and ARN. It will easily be able to fill a plane of that size ex-EDI were it to win traffic rights.
I thought the current govt policy was that so long as you weren't flying to London then traffic rights weren't an issue....
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by Jenbel
But it increases capacity on the route. If you assume that everyone would have travelled anyway, then what that does is take those people now flying on the second plane per day away from the other carriers they would have flown on and onto EK. Not all of them would have been BA, but some of them would be.

It's also not just about DXB - it's about onward connections from DXB (and that is EK's strategy, much as KLM - act as a hubbing airline mainly).
That is exactly the point I was making about the potential loss, if the pax would have been travelling already they are being taken away from another carrier.

We have used EK from GLA to Oz with good connections times, but not to DXB itself because of the poor timings in both directions.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by planensimple
Totally agree DXB connection means less stops and much more convenience. Also EK usually offers miles accelerator when it adds any new route or upgrades the aircraft.
As well as fewer stops it also avoids a horrible T5 - T3 transfer (if you're flying to SYD).

I'm amazed that BA haven't been blown away down to the Gulf as they persist with their ghastly G-ZZZZ 777's on many of the flights.

On the other hand - if it kicks off in the Straits of Hormuz any time soon, EK's birds will be like the Marie Celeste.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
It's also not just about DXB - it's about onward connections from DXB (and that is EK's strategy, much as KLM - act as a hubbing airline mainly). Afterall, GLA-DXB-SYD is less hassle than GLA-LHR-SIN/BKK-SYD and doing ultra long-haul some people will see fewer connections as preferential.
Indeed, I would be surprised if there was much O&D traffic GLA-DXB. From speaking to people, they've done a good job putting themselves in people in Scotland's minds as the way to go if travelling east (much as CO have if going west). Unfortunately they don't accept Tesco clubcard vouchers for J fares, though (and one look at the photo of a 10-abreast 777 was enough to put me off that) - so BA it is for me!

With the recent / imminent PIA pull out of GLA, there's presumably also some slack to take up there, too.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:18 pm

This may be enough to send BA plunging to the ground in a torrent of birdseed.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EK029

BA will not be affected much by this news to be honest. While using EK is good for people who want to get to Australia quickly many people still like to stopover in the Far East so BA/QF will still be a popular choice.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY

BA will not be affected much by this news to be honest. While using EK is good for people who want to get to Australia quickly many people still like to stopover in the Far East so BA/QF will still be a popular choice.
Good point.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze

Do they? I would have thought most people would have wanted to get down to OZ as quickly as possibly, with the exception of gap year students.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:18 pm

HIDDY, whilst I normally agree with your wise words, I think your point about stopping off at SIN/BKK/HKG for those departing from the regions to Oz is not so simple. The fact that people choose to stop off at the aforementioned cities, is because they can. They may not necesariliy stop at SIN/BKK/HKG if there are more direct or less time-consuming routes available. By making the option of a more direct/less stops/less time wasting routing (in this case with EK), I would imagine, would encourage more people to complete the journey without routing on BA/QF.

However, my drivel above may be moot, for example if BA offer GLA/EDI-Oz fares at 20% lower than EK (not likely, but weirder things can happen)

Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by EK029
BA is going to take a right hammering on non corporate travel out of the regions.

Unless you are tied in via the exec club or a corporate travel policy. It is very unlikely that people will choose BA and a connection via LHR over EK out of the regions to somewhere like SYD

It will be interesting to see how BA reacts to the growing presence of EK in the regions...

Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
It will be interesting to see how BA reacts to the growing presence of EK in the regions...
They wont! It is of little interest to BA.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's all a bit late now to react.

BA are surely still strong in the Middle and Far Eastern markets from LHR so I don't think they will be that concerned about the loss of some passengers from the regions to EK.
Obviously their share of the Australian market must have taken a hammering from the strong presence that EK have there....hence why BA will probably forget about serving SYD altogether.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

BA is going to take a right hammering on non corporate travel out of the regions.

Unless you are tied in via the exec club or a corporate travel policy. It is very unlikely that people will choose BA and a connection via LHR over EK out of the regions to somewhere like SYD

Not so sure we would favour EK to Oz and would prefer BA/QF with a stopover on the way, there and back. Its far too long, for us anyhow, to do it all in one go.

The last time we went in 2006 the stopovers worked very well (HKG/SIN) and DXB is not my ideal place compared to other cities.

Certainly living in Edinburgh with the airport 20 minutes away I would probably still go with BA/QF as if we went with EK i'd still have to drive from my house to Glasgow on the M8 and over that dinosaur... The Kingston Bridge! Door to door for us it is about 80/90 minutes away so the EDI connection is far more favourable. YMMV.

Originally Posted by rossmacd
They wont! It is of little interest to BA.
I wonder what will be available 1st. BA POUG from the regions or the Trams
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... so I don't think they will be that concerned about the loss of some passengers from the regions to EK.
I don't have numbers, but my guess would be that EK can make a profit at yields at which BA would make a loss.

So even if BA is concerned, there's not a lot it can do. It has no mandate from anyone to serve any port that can only be served at a loss.

EK: It's a bit like Pret a Manger.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Not so sure we would favour EK to Oz and would prefer BA/QF with a stopover on the way, there and back. Its far too long, for us anyhow, to do it all in one go.

The last time we went in 2006 the stopovers worked very well (HKG/SIN) and DXB is not my ideal place compared to other cities.

Certainly living in Edinburgh with the airport 20 minutes away I would probably still go with BA/QF as if we went with EK i'd still have to drive from my house to Glasgow on the M8 and over that dinosaur... The Kingston Bridge! Door to door for us it is about 80/90 minutes away so the EDI connection is far more favourable. YMMV.

I wonder what will be available 1st. BA POUG from the regions or the Trams
I guess it comes down to local situations as you describe and for some people cost. EK do tend to be cheaper than BA

I have friends from Birmingham, who now live in SYD. Even though I could have got them an upgrade on BA, they have always flown on EK out of BHK,as they don't want the hassle of driving to and from LHR.

You then add both sets of parents going out three times a year, plus a whole load of friends. In the old days, everyone would have gone down to LHR and flown out on BA. That is one example, multiply this a number of times and there is a major revenue loss going on which is ending up in EK pockets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.