Search

Flaw in BAs data protection handling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Could I ask why you didn't tell the agent who was helping you that you could hear other people and details in the background?
Why wait until after you've hung up and come and report it on an IBB and BA?
Wouldn't it have been nice for the agent to rectify the matter instead of you reporting them?

I don't disagree with your point, but it comes across as a bit tittle tattle-ish.
If you knew me SRG you would know that I don't care for or engage in tittle tattle.

This is nothing to do with the minor issue of me overhearing a single sales agent and there was no point in me mentioning it to the sales agent who - quite rightly - is interested in getting their (sales) job done. This is a corporate issue covering ALL sales agents / calls centres for BA and as a responsible adult I contacted BA and raised the issue with them. What BA choose to do about it is up to them.

I think your response completely misses the big picture. I have not complained about a sales agent. I have raised a general concern about data protection with a PLC.

Look, let's just drop it now. I've done my bit so why don't you all go off and flame someone else.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
FWIW what Golfmad has reported to BA, is exactly the sort of thing the UK public sector has been encouraging of its entities over the last couple of years (after various incidents of not treating client data appropriately).
I would imagine BA would be delighted to be aware of a potential weakness before a data loss results.

It is, and has been a thorny subject, but the bottom line is corporates and government departments which don't protect data to good standard are much more vulnerable to fines / sackings / censure these days.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by golfmad
Look, let's just drop it now. I've done my bit so why don't you all go off and flame someone else.
I think you've done the right thing. People are probably reacting to the thread title which is a tad Daily Mail-esque

I've never heard any clear detail like that on a call but it could obviously easily happen. The call centres ive seen all have quite thick divides between staff, I guess to prevent this happening. BA need to be made aware.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stueys
The call centres ive seen all have quite thick divides between staff, I guess to prevent this happening. BA need to be made aware.
I think BA use the "fan" dividers left over from Old Club World
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stueys
I think you've done the right thing. People are probably reacting to the thread title which is a tad Daily Mail-esque
Fair point. Is there a way to change the thread title or is that just for the mods to do? How about just dropping the word HUGE from the title.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Fair point. Is there a way to change the thread title or is that just for the mods to do? How about just dropping the word HUGE from the title.
I have obliged and changed the title.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA Forum
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have obliged and changed the title.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA Forum
Thanks. I thought you might. Is everyone relatively happy now?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
You need the Mods to do it, us mere mortals can't.

EDIT: And a lovely mod had now done so whilst I was posting.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thanks. I thought you might. Is everyone relatively happy now?
I think I'd be happier if other calls could not be heard, because for one thing it's distracting to hear a lot of background conversation, and it's not particularly nice to hear other people's lovely F travel plans while I'm in WT

On a serious note, I hope you will let BA know about this, because you should not be able to hear it so clearly.

It may have been a technical issue that needs to be looked into. Next time you encounter something like this, I recommend you mention it to the agent while you are on the phone so that it's easier for them to track down the problem should it turn out to be technical rather than "environmental" - and if environmental, I hope they do install better dividers so that it doesn't happen.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think I'd be happier if other calls could not be heard, because for one thing it's distracting to hear a lot of background conversation, and it's not particularly nice to hear other people's lovely F travel plans while I'm in WT

On a serious note, I hope you will let BA know about this, because you should not be able to hear it so clearly.

It may have been a technical issue that needs to be looked into. Next time you encounter something like this, I recommend you mention it to the agent while you are on the phone so that it's easier for them to track down the problem should it turn out to be technical rather than "environmental" - and if environmental, I hope they do install better dividers so that it doesn't happen.
For the avoidance of doubt, I did write to BA (using the 'contact us' page) before even posting to this site and I received the automated case reference number. The only form I could find was the 'complaints' form but I made the point in my opening sentence that this wasn't a complaint, merely an observation that the staff at BA corporate/legal might wish to consider.

Also, this isn't an isolated incident but it was the first time I've been party to such crystal clear personal details.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I'm half expecting not to hear back from BA but if I do I'll gladly post an update to this thread.
Here's the response from BA. I said I'd post it here.

"I appreciate you are concerned about the information given out by passengers being overheard by the other customers. Thank you for contacting us about it.

Please be assured that we are determined to provide the highest possible level of service to our customers. This includes your contact with us before and after you travel, as well as during your journey. We have a senior manager responsible for customer experience. Your feedback is vital to us because it means they can identify which areas must be improved as a priority.

Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Best regards"

Metaphorically speaking, it looks like it's been filed in the round filing cabinet under a junior person's desk.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Metaphorically speaking, it looks like it's been filed in the round filing cabinet under a junior person's desk.
Not quite sure why you'd say that?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Not quite sure why you'd say that?
Whilst it may have been passed on, I'd expect the email response to explicitly specify that. All it says is that BA have a Customer Experience manager, which tells us nothing in the context of the issue. I'd go so far as to say its a reply made up of boilerplate paragraphs.

To the OP, i'd respond asking whether the issue has been passed onto the relevant manager.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Whilst it may have been passed on, I'd expect the email response to explicitly specify that. All it says is that BA have a Customer Experience manager, which tells us nothing in the context of the issue. I'd go so far as to say its a reply made up of boilerplate paragraphs.

To the OP, i'd respond asking whether the issue has been passed onto the relevant manager.
OK, will do.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Oh, and look, there is is, word-for-word identical:

We are determined to provide the highest possible level of service to our customers. This includes your contact with us before and after you travel, as well as during your journey. We have a senior manager responsible for customer experience. Your feedback is vital to us because it means they can identify which areas must be improved as a priority.

From here, a BA response to a customer in December 2010:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...l-Claims-Court

I rarely have need to write to BA, but if I did, It'd almost be better to receive no response than receive something with so little thought put into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.