Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avoid Carry-On Bag Sizer with Online Check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

When I fly AA to LHR and then connect to BA I never have issues with my U.S.-regulation size carry on (which of course does not fit into those itty bitty European sizers). The bag of course fits easily into any overhead bin on a mainline aircraft. Whenever I return from Europe checking in with BA, I'm asked to size, it doesn't fit and I'm forced to check it in.

So that begs the question, if I do OLCI and print my boarding pass, will I have an issue? I'm thinking that since BA has never asked me to size at security or at the gate that I should have no problems. Specifically, I will be returning next week out of CDG.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
So that begs the question, if I do OLCI and print my boarding pass, will I have an issue? I'm thinking that since BA has never asked me to size at security or at the gate that I should have no problems. Specifically, I will be returning next week out of CDG.
Not normally, but when I flew out of CDG a couple of weeks ago they checked at the gate

(The only time I've ever been checked on BA, was at CDG!)
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:36 am

Out stations are notorious for not checking bags are within dimensions but as has been noted by some people in the know BA are trying to clamp down on this. However much you disagree with the rules, BA have set them, why try to play the system? BA already offer very generous allowances compared to other European carriers.

Also what size is your carry-on? Mine seems to just fit both AA and BA sizers with the same amount of room to spare. In fact AA allows 22*14*9 whereas BA allows 22*18*10 giving you clearance for a larger bag. That's assuming the bag gauge reflects this.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I think US airports allow slightly larger bags. I know one bag of mine can go lengthways in AA's domestic overhead but not on BA's overheads for European flights.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Of course, despite fitting in the sizer, mine still does not fit in the 767 overhead bins, so remember it may be a moot point if the crew have to put it in the hold anyway!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by evanderm
Out stations are notorious for not checking bags are within dimensions but as has been noted by some people in the know BA are trying to clamp down on this. However much you disagree with the rules, BA have set them, why try to play the system? BA already offer very generous allowances compared to other European carriers.

Also what size is your carry-on? Mine seems to just fit both AA and BA sizers with the same amount of room to spare. In fact AA allows 22*14*9 whereas BA allows 22*18*10 giving you clearance for a larger bag. That's assuming the bag gauge reflects this.
I have a standard American max legal carrion: 22x14x9. Interesting that the BA site gives a larger size as the sizes are definitely smaller and seem like they would only fit a standard "continental" size carry on - I believe that the max dimension there is 20.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have a standard American max legal carrion: 22x14x9. Interesting that the BA site gives a larger size as the sizes are definitely smaller and seem like they would only fit a standard "continental" size carry on - I believe that the max dimension there is 20.
BA uses inches....from what I've seen the Americans use feet.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by HIDDY
BA uses inches....from what I've seen the Americans use feet.
ROFL...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
When I fly AA to LHR and then connect to BA I never have issues with my U.S.-regulation size carry on (which of course does not fit into those itty bitty European sizers). The bag of course fits easily into any overhead bin on a mainline aircraft. Whenever I return from Europe checking in with BA, I'm asked to size, it doesn't fit and I'm forced to check it in.

The hand baggage gauges at the gate conform to the size allowed for the UK and if your bag conforms to those sizes you will have no problems. The size dimensions are shown on ba.com and are the same sizes as those allowed from the USA.

However, many bags from the US and Europe (and even some from the UK) are too big as the wheels won't go inside the gauge. It does sound as if your bag is too big as it doesn't fit in the gauges so will have to be checked

We are clamping down heavily on hand luggage as far too much is getting on board and causing delays to our flights and inconveniencing hundreds of passengers. We've let it go for years now, but it's time to enforce the rules. At present we're not charging for bags taken at the gate but this could change.

At CDG you may not have such a problem but at LGW and LHR staff are asking you to show your bag fits in the gauge and if it doesn't, simple it goes in the hold. Doesn't matter whether you OLCI or not, you'll have to give the bag up if it's too big.

BTW you say it fits in the overhead - which way?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
For BA its: 10in x 18 x 22 plus laptop or handbag.
For VS its: 9in x 14 x 22 (6kg in Econ and PE, 12kg UC)

The VS limit has always kept them off limits for our trips, as I am unwilling to check-in camera equipment if another carrier allows us to keep my eye on it.

Didn't BA revert back recently to higher limits? If so are all the guages up-to-date?

As a pertinent exampleon BA. Does the guage work to centimetre limits or the inches or the larger of the two? 10in is bigger than 25cm for example.

To be honest I am happy enough with gate check-in and return, for my gear ... but not it out of sight through two airports.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by littlefish
Didn't BA revert back recently to higher limits? If so are all the guages up-to-date?
No as BA conforms to the guidelines set by the UK Government.

As a pertinent example on BA. Does the guage work to centimetre limits or the inches or the larger of the two? 10in is bigger than 25cm for example.
Marginally - by all of 3mm.

To be honest I am happy enough with gate check-in and return, for my gear ... but not it out of sight through two airports.
If taken at the gate it will not be returned at the gate, but on the luggage carousel at your destination.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jan 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
No as BA conforms to the guidelines set by the UK Government.
To be pedantic, BA's allowed size is the maximum which was allowed by the UK government, and has kept to that size even though the government no longer sets a maximum allowable size.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
No as BA conforms to the guidelines set by the UK Government. So VS doesn't?

Marginally - by all of 3mm. Okay, good 3mm doesn't matter

If taken at the gate for being too large it will not be returned at the gate, but on the luggage carousel at your destination. Ah, some airlines return at stairs on arrival so good to know this .. hence I try to avoid these bag size problems by ascertaining the facts before travel.
Thanks to this thread I have measured the photo-bag MrsFish will use for a trip to USA in a few weeks. It'll be under 10kg weight, way under two of the dimensions but very close on the 10 inches measurement. By the time we get to T5 measuring gauge its a little late, so all advance info I can garner the better.

I'm all for bag limits being enforced, enough times we see our fellow passengers get away with too much when we have taken the effort to comply.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: ABBA
I've been travelling with a bit more kit than normal recently -- two extra laptops for example.

My rucksack fits under the seat in front of me if I remove the laptops (which fit in the seat pocket). Might need to pack a small fold up bag to take advantage of the "rucksack + briefcase" option.

How heavy can the bags be? I weighed my rucksack in one configuration and it came to 23kg.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
How heavy can the bags be? I weighed my rucksack in one configuration and it came to 23kg.
23 kg is the limit - plus you must personally be able to lift it into the overhead bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.