Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avoid Carry-On Bag Sizer with Online Check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoid Carry-On Bag Sizer with Online Check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why do people need to carry so much with them in-flight?

Travelling for a 1 day shorthaul/domestic return for work = 1 small backpack with laptop and all business equipement I would ever need

Travelling for an overnight trip for work = 1 checked bag + small backpack for laptop
Not only is waiting for the bag a waste of valuable time but the risk of loss on a short business trip is significant.

Travelling for leisure (domestic, short or longhaul) = 1 checked bag, and passport/phone/wallet in my jeans pocket.
Sorry when traveling for leisure I still want my computer and reading material. Plus medicine, toiletries for inflight, stain remover, sunglasses, camera, etc. Not everyone relies solely on AVOD or just plans to sit/stare/sleep on the plane.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Why do people need to carry so much with them in-flight?

Travelling for leisure (domestic, short or longhaul) = 1 checked bag, and passport/phone/wallet in my jeans pocket.

Anything more than that is just taking the michael.
Travelling for a week leisure, = backpack plus handbag.on VS The back pack came in at 6.3kg which was allowed and the handbag was fairly heavy (shh)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Baconroll
Is 23kg really not enough for hold luggage allowance?? Free of charge, of course. People could then bring on another 20kg (to keep to a round number) as hand luggage as long as within the dimension limits and they can lift it themselves. How many people really need to go anywhere with 43(ish) kg?
I can go hiking for a month with less than half that allowance, including my special heavy hiking boots
Every long haul work trip I have a bag of tools and equipment that is 28-30kg. Then I have another 16kg or so of clothes in my second check in bag (data centres are cold). My hand luggage includes my laptop and often my camera and lenses as I usual tack on a leisure side trip. Short haul is the same, minus the camera. Work always want me to go WT, until I point out WT+ is about the same as the excess baggage costs (I let them think WT+ avoids the heavy bag fee, not the shiny card). SH I end up in ET and let the shiny card deal with the fees, often with a colleague on the PNR to pickup the same benefits.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by elwe
Then I have another 16kg or so of clothes in my second check in bag (data centres are cold).
Have you tried Heattech clothing from Uniqlo? Their tops etc are light and thin but incredibly warm. Too warm for me to wear on aeroplanes but great for spending time in the cold.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:22 am

So yesterday, flew from LGW- JER in CE with 2 kids (end of a long journey) I had already Checked in 1 of the 3 hand luggage we had, so with 3 of us and 2 18" Briggs and Riley trolleys gat on board and guess what is blocking the whole of row 1 - 2 lockers CREW bags, I know they have to go somewhere but this happens all the time. If BA are checking hand luggage for size, fine that's great, but please get the crew to not put the bags there. Some crew put them in the wardrobe, but row 1 is always a problem.
How about put then at he rear of the CW cabin as there is often space there and if they put them in first it might stop ET travellers putting there bags in CW cabin.
Often they use the wardrobe, but not yesterday and I was told I could not put mine in the wardrobe either!
Oh well end of 3 flights, long few days of travel, space was found for the bags a bit further back so not an issue really but still a pain in the bum.
Just pleased to be home
Joejet
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:10 am

A Request Please..............

I know all the arguments about waiting 20 minutes at he carousel, the airline lost my bag a few years ago and all the rest of it...............BUT

PLEASE keep within the carry on size and weight limits:

1. To please me - and to try to keep our aeroplanes safe and secure for yourself, our cabin staff and your fellow travellers.

2. To avoid the increasing number of aircraft delays caused by the staff having to take excess cabin baggage at the gate.

3. To avoid offloading cargo to accommodate last minute carry-on items which have to be stuffed into "Hold 5".

Since I moved to the Cargo division of BA recently, it has been an eye-opener as to how the ignorance (ignorance rather than selfishness, for you can't be expected to know) of some of our customers causes vital express cargo to be left behind - urgently needed vaccines bound for India, aircraft parts or ship's spares urgently needed in some far flung outpost. When I joined BA, the rules were that passengers' bags would be offloaded to accommodate express airfreight - now the boot is firmly on the other foot.

Once again, this is a polite request to be sensible - not a firm "Do as I Say" slap around the head!

Thank you for your co-operation!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bealine
I know all the arguments about waiting 20 minutes at he carousel, the airline lost my bag a few years ago and all the rest of it...............BUT

PLEASE keep within the carry on size and weight limits:

1. To please me - and to try to keep our aeroplanes safe and secure for yourself, our cabin staff and your fellow travellers.

2. To avoid the increasing number of aircraft delays caused by the staff having to take excess cabin baggage at the gate.

3. To avoid offloading cargo to accommodate last minute carry-on items which have to be stuffed into "Hold 5".

Since I moved to the Cargo division of BA recently, it has been an eye-opener as to how the ignorance (ignorance rather than selfishness, for you can't be expected to know) of some of our customers causes vital express cargo to be left behind - urgently needed vaccines bound for India, aircraft parts or ship's spares urgently needed in some far flung outpost. When I joined BA, the rules were that passengers' bags would be offloaded to accommodate express airfreight - now the boot is firmly on the other foot.

Once again, this is a polite request to be sensible - not a firm "Do as I Say" slap around the head!

Thank you for your co-operation!
Not sure I understand this. Because there's occasionally a lack of capacity, passengers should avoid packing stuff so BA can carry important cargo?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
Not sure I understand this. Because there's occasionally a lack of capacity, passengers should avoid packing stuff so BA can carry important cargo?
I think bealine's polite request is about not carrying excessive amount (i.e. over the limit) of hand luggage which has to be put into the hold.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: Accor Classic, BA Silver, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tobyh
Your profile says BA Bronze. Doesn't that equate to AA Gold/OW Ruby? You should have Priority Access boarding and at least be ahead of the main herd.
I've only had Bronze since November, soon after it was introduced. My flight to STL was in September. As far as I know, BA Bronze/OW Ruby doesn't entitle me to priority boarding. That perk seems to be exclusive to AA Gold.

On my flight from STL to ORD, the vast majority of passengers seemed to have at least AA Gold, so the "main herd" were in the minority.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by dewidaniels
I've only had Bronze since November, soon after it was introduced. My flight to STL was in September. As far as I know, BA Bronze/OW Ruby doesn't entitle me to priority boarding. That perk seems to be exclusive to AA Gold.
I can confirm that Bronze members will not be able to pre-board, sorry.

JoeJet - I'm told the crew bag issue is being addressed imminently and I have to agree with your point. Glad you made it home OK without fog.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: Accor Classic, BA Silver, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I can confirm that Bronze members will not be able to pre-board, sorry.
I'm fine with that, sunrisegirl. The introduction of the new Bronze tier was an unexpected and pleasant surprise for me.

Lack of priority boarding is only an issue on domestic AA flights, where every man and his dog seems to be at least AA Gold. Travellers in the US also seem to carry much more carry on luggage than is the norm in Europe, where people seem to be much more willing to check in luggage. I've never had any problem finding space for my carry on bag on a BA flight (or an EasyJet flight for that matter).
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Lack of priority boarding is only an issue on domestic AA flights, where every man and his dog seems to be at least AA Gold. Travellers in the US also seem to carry much more carry on luggage than is the norm in Europe, where people seem to be much more willing to check in luggage. I've never had any problem finding space for my carry on bag on a BA flight (or an EasyJet flight for that matter).
The travel "experience" in the US is one huge advert for why hand luggage restrictions need to be in place and enforced as necessary.

All that remains is for the airlines to allow at least one bag to be checked without any ridiculous surcharge and sanity will return to the American skies.

(Well, it will once they reinstate special meals in F, but that's another rant for another day).
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
I'm fine with that, sunrisegirl. The introduction of the new Bronze tier was an unexpected and pleasant surprise for me.

I think the confusion here is that BA does not have priority boarding for BA Bronze, but AA does. Please see http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/priorityaaccess.jsp (note the oneworld Ruby members)

If AA didn't let you priority board, then a) this has changed recently and they haven't updated their website or b) (more likely) the AA agent did not recognize that the card is OW Ruby.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by hrnt
Please see http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/priorityaaccess.jsp (note the oneworld Ruby members)
Thanks for pointing out that useful link. It's good to know that AA gives priority boarding to BA Bronze card-holders. That's very good news indeed!

I was still BA Blue when I last flew AA in September, since BA Bronze was only introduced in October.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Lack of priority boarding is only an issue on domestic AA flights, where every man and his dog seems to be at least AA Gold. Travellers in the US also seem to carry much more carry on luggage than is the norm in Europe, where people seem to be much more willing to check in luggage.
That'll be at least in part because the majority of airlines in the US charge to check luggage on domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.