Wiki Posts
Search

BA not honoring oneworld status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
Do you know if I change my FF # on the reservation, will I lose any additional BA miles I'm earned that is attached to my BA #?
Of course not.

If you put your AA number in the booking, any miles that can be earned on the flight will go to your AA account, not to your BA account. If you leave your BA number in the booking, any miles that can be earned on the flight will go to your BA account.

Why, though, do you have both an AA and a BA account? For the vast majority of people, it makes sense to collect all miles awarded by a particular alliance in a single programme only. Having more than one active programme within any single alliance is counter-productive. If you put some miles in your BA account and some miles in your AA account, you have less flexibility than when you consolidate all your miles in a single programme (and will find it harder to achieve status).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Why, though, do you have both an AA and a BA account? For the vast majority of people, it makes sense to collect all miles awarded by a particular alliance in a single programme only. Having more than one active programme within any single alliance is counter-productive. If you put some miles in your BA account and some miles in your AA account, you have less flexibility than when you consolidate all your miles in a single programme (and will find it harder to achieve status).
AA and BA did not always offer miles for each others flights. E.g. LON-US. Another example is that you can't earn BA miles on AA flights booked in O-class. Hence why I have both an AA and a BA account but choose one to be my main.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Of course not.
I have both because of the 100,000 miles BA credit card offer. I signed up for the card and a BA account to get the miles. Flying with miles to London & Paris in Business class! Yay!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:46 pm
Suspended

I went through this same issue earlier. You need to call in and have them manually put in your status. Of course, some BA agents may be more knowledgable/agreeable than others(the ones in Hong Kong refused to do so)
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Any more recent experiences with seat assignments for One World Ruby's (non-BA) at 7 days out?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
You need to call in and have them manually put in your status. Of course, some BA agents may be more knowledgable/agreeable than others
No experience from me sts603 but I've just noticed OxonCantab's post from a couple of years ago, ebtter late than never I suppose: status cannot be added manually to a PNR, at least not in a way that would unlock seatmaps, etc. Amadeus only displays/recognises the status that was last updated in its central database of profiles, and if that hasn't ticked over yet then the status can be stuck. Sometimes deleting the FQTV and adding it back again just doesn't do anything, although it should.

I had this issue with a JL member a few years who was actually oneworld Sapphire and not Ruby as Amadeus insisted he was, and nothing I or JL did could force Amadeus to update - I was told that only when the next mass data feed was sent by JL to Amadeus would it eventually happen.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by sts603
Any more recent experiences with seat assignments for One World Ruby's (non-BA) at 7 days out?
It's working for me (AA Gold), at 7 days before each flight. I've done my outbound sectors and have to wait until Monday to do the inbound.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
I went through this same issue earlier. You need to call in and have them manually put in your status. Of course, some BA agents may be more knowledgable/agreeable than others(the ones in Hong Kong refused to do so)
I got AA Gold (oneworld Ruby) status after booking a BA flight (with my AA FF # listed). At T-7 days, I was not given the option to select seats for free. I pulled up my reservation details at finnair.com and removed my AA frequent flyer # from the reservation. Then I went back into the reservation on finnair.com and re-added my AA frequent flyer number. Immediately afterwards, BA.com showed no FF information on my reservation summary, though when I clicked through to add it on BA.com, it still "remembered" my info. Then about 30 minutes later I pulled up my reservation again on BA.com and it did have my frequent flyer # listed again. Then I went in to select seats and it was free

So in summary, if you aren't getting the option to select seats for free at T-7 and you are oneworld Ruby:
1. Use finnair.com to remove your frequent flyer information from the reservation
2. Use finnair.com to add your frequent flyer information back to the reservation
3. Wait ~30 min
4. Access your reservation on ba.com and select seats. Should be free.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by dukerau
I got AA Gold (oneworld Ruby) status after booking a BA flight (with my AA FF # listed). At T-7 days, I was not given the option to select seats for free. I pulled up my reservation details at finnair.com and removed my AA frequent flyer # from the reservation. Then I went back into the reservation on finnair.com and re-added my AA frequent flyer number. Immediately afterwards, BA.com showed no FF information on my reservation summary, though when I clicked through to add it on BA.com, it still "remembered" my info. Then about 30 minutes later I pulled up my reservation again on BA.com and it did have my frequent flyer # listed again. Then I went in to select seats and it was free

So in summary, if you aren't getting the option to select seats for free at T-7 and you are oneworld Ruby:
1. Use finnair.com to remove your frequent flyer information from the reservation
2. Use finnair.com to add your frequent flyer information back to the reservation
3. Wait ~30 min
You do realise the post you've replied to is over 4 years old and the user is suspended?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

3. Wait ~30 min
Thank you for posting this! I had the same issue with my BA flights and was able to reserve my seats 7 days in advance after following your instructions!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
You do realise the post you've replied to is over 4 years old and the user is suspended?
Suspended? I'm not suspended.

Anyway, it was helpful to me because I flew BA again last month, got in the same situation, and needed the reminder.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:25 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
Suspended? I'm not suspended.
The user whos post they quoted is suspended.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Recent confirmation

3. Wait ~30 min
Thanks to OP for this trick. I am AA Platinum and was able change my status on a BA reservation using this techniqueand select seats for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.