BA not honoring oneworld status?

Old Jan 7, 12, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
BA not honoring oneworld status?

I just achieved oneworld Ruby status by reaching AAdvantage Gold status. I currently have flights booked on BA for March and BA's web site says that oneworld Ruby passengers have the same benefits as EC Bronze. When I e-mailed BA Executive Club about choosing my seats 7 days prior to my flight (a benefit for Ruby/BA Bronze passengers), they said the following...

It is not our policy to match the status of another frequent flyer programme when you join our programme. Tier status is a way of recognising and rewarding our most loyal and frequent travellers.
I am new to elite status so did I misunderstand how this works? I thought oneworld affiliated airlines acknowledged oneworld status.

If I've misunderstood, can someone explain if I get any benefits from BA with oneworld Ruby status that I've earned?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Do you have your AA ff number in the booking or a BA ff number ?

cs
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
The BA record needs to show your correct AAdvantage status. If you booked the trip prior to becoming Gold then there is a good chance BA shows you as no-status, with all the rights and privileges thereto. You need to ask BA to refresh the status on your reservation, perhaps by deleting your FF # and re-entering it. You may be able to do this yourself on ba.com.

Obviously BA Executive Club did not understand your emailed request. They thought you were asking for a status match into their program, which they evidently do not grant.
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
OneWorld Ruby gets you whatever benefits are published for that tier by all member airlines in OneWorld. OW Ruby does not get you all the benefits a member airline offers to its own frequent flyers who hold that tier as in BA allows Executive Club Golds access to their arrivals lounges but this is a benefit BA offers only to its own frequent flyers whose Executive Club status, Gold, make them Emerald within the OneWorld tier system. OW Emeralds from the other airlines' frequent flyer programs are not granted arrivals lounge access because they are the same level as BA's Golds.

The benefit you are requesting is probably one offered to Executive Club Bronze and higher and NOT to all OW Ruby level frequent flyers.
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

My booking was made with my BA # because I used BA miles to book the flights. It was before I reached Gold status with AA. I don't know where to put my AA # in my booking. I've been looking all over the site.
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgppetch View Post
OneWorld Ruby gets you whatever benefits are published for that tier by all member airlines in OneWorld. OW Ruby does not get you all the benefits a member airline offers to its own frequent flyers who hold that tier as in BA allows Executive Club Golds access to their arrivals lounges but this is a benefit BA offers only to its own frequent flyers whose Executive Club status, Gold, make them Emerald within the OneWorld tier system. OW Emeralds from the other airlines' frequent flyer programs are not granted arrivals lounge access because they are the same level as BA's Golds.

The benefit you are requesting is probably one offered to Executive Club Bronze and higher and NOT to all OW Ruby level frequent flyers.
I don't think this is correct. At least, not according to the site...

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...en_gb#child-32

It says "Executive Club Bronze / oneworld Ruby members" for this specific benefit I'm asking about.

I noticed that the rep wrote "it is not our policy to match the status of another frequent flyer programme when you join our programme." Is it possible that they will not honor oneworld status because I'm a Executive Club member? Is that any of your experience?
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
You will need to call and have the number changed manually. Once your AA ruby number is in you should be able to select seats online 7 days prior to departure.
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite View Post
I don't think this is correct. At least, not according to the site...

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...en_gb#child-32

It says "Executive Club Bronze / oneworld Ruby members" for this specific benefit I'm asking about.

I noticed that the rep wrote "it is not our policy to match the status of another frequent flyer programme when you join our programme." Is it possible that they will not honor oneworld status because I'm a Executive Club member? Is that any of your experience?
The grid of Executive Club elite tiers and the corresponding OneWorld designations makes it a bit misleading that a OW tier from any and all member airlines get the benefits listed. Gold upgrade for 2 is under the list of Executive Club Gold benefits also designated OW Emerald and it is NOT a benefit extended to OW Emeralds of other frequent flyer programs.

If you check the OneWorld website, they list tier benefits after you select your frequent flyer program and elite tier within it. For AA's Ruby preferred seating is "where offered" so member airlines have discretion how they offer it to elites of other member airlines.

Seems like the issue is you did not have your Ruby tier frequent flyer number on your BA record and BA probably does offer preferred advance seating to OW Rubies or at least those of AA and IB since the transatlantic
agreement they established.
Old Jan 7, 12, 11:49 pm

"it is not our policy to match the status of another frequent flyer programme when you join our programme." Is it possible that they will not honor oneworld status because I'm a Executive Club member? Is that any of your experience?
Yes, they will not extend Ruby perks to you if you have your EC non-elite Blue number on a reservation.

If you were Sapphire or Emerald in one program but traveled with a different airline's frequent flyer number of a lower tier on your record and boarding pass, you could get the lounge access benefit by showing your current appropriate OW tiered frequent flyer card-the lounge staff might argue but it is not in the rules that you must have the OW tier eligible frequent flyer number in your record. For seat selection the reservation system probably requires a valid Ruby frequent flyer number in order for the agent to offer preferred seating to a passenger-your EC blue number on the record would prevent an agent from offering seat selection reserved for higher tiers only.
Old Jan 8, 12, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll call BA and see if I can get the reservation switched to my OW/AA #.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jan 8, 12, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, AA LTG
IATA records (i.e. a PNR) have two standard data items for Frequent Flyer membership: one is FQTV and the other FQTS. The former is used for miles earning, the latter for ascertaining status. They can have different values; however attempting to get this done can cause confusion as some agents don't know how to differentiate between the two. If you don't get much luck with the first agent, call back and try again. I usually reference FQTV and FQTS by name, and even if they don't understand, they can follow my requests! This is how you get to have your cake and eat it! YMMV.

rb211.
Old Jan 8, 12, 5:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Gold, former BD *G, OZ Diamond Plus *G, VA Gold, AA, DL, EK, QF, Amex
I have seen reference to four IATA fields, though not all airlines use them all.

With a redemption booking like the OP's, the FQTR field would be used show the account used to redeem the points used for the flight, and the FQTV entry may well be academic, except with those airlines like QF who award points to their FF members on some redemption bookings.

The fourth field is FQTU and is I believe used for upgrades (in some cases with *A upgrades, the miles to upgrade the flight can potentially come from a different account to the FQTV/FQTS).

Last edited by wyvern; Jan 8, 12 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 8, 12, 6:20 am

Thanks. I'll call BA and see if I can get the reservation switched to my OW/AA #.

Thanks for all the help!
Use the manage my booking feature of the Finnair website and you should be able to do this yourself - no need to call. Change the FF number to your AA number. When you go back to the BA website manage my booking, you should see your AA number in the booking and if it all works correctly you should have the benefits of Ruby.
Old Jan 8, 12, 7:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I just achieved oneworld Ruby status by reaching AAdvantage Gold status. I currently have flights booked on BA for March and BA's web site says that oneworld Ruby passengers have the same benefits as EC Bronze. When I e-mailed BA Executive Club about choosing my seats 7 days prior to my flight (a benefit for Ruby/BA Bronze passengers), they said the following...

It is not our policy to match the status of another frequent flyer programme when you join our programme. Tier status is a way of recognising and rewarding our most loyal and frequent travellers.
It sounds like the person who replied to your email had misunderstood you to have asked to become a BA Bronze?

The correct answer is that you will be able to choose your seat 7 days in advance on a BA-operated flight as long as your AA status has been properly reflected in your booking. I have seen this work for a non-BA OW Ruby. However, you will need your AA status in the system to do this.
Old Jan 8, 12, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help. I think I will try doing this myself on the Finnair web site first then since it seems BA doesn't understand me. LOL!

Do you know if I change my FF # on the reservation, will I lose any additional BA miles I'm earned that is attached to my BA #?

Search this Thread