Wiki Posts
Search

Flying solo - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by redsox1918
I posted it as this is topic/subject is really stupid and the person I agreed with is spot on. A 21 year old who can't naviagte thru a airport!! Gee god help the world if this is typical.
Your opinion is fair enough, but I think it is a little unreasonable to put it in such a harsh way.

It's generally accepted, rightly or wrongly, that mothers worry somewhat about their children until they die. It's the way many mothers are, and if there is anything wrong with that, that's between the mother and her children.

Of course most likely her daughter would be able to survive perfectly fine, but I think it's time we stopped making 'sharp' comments about posts that are not unreasonable, and if we are to be critical, to put it in a nicer way?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BA304
This itinerary would concern me if I were doing it and I've travelled a lot on my own.
He'll be fine. He knows about MFUs, and he'll be wearing A&F
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Originally Posted by BOH
Would you seriously suggest advising a 21 year old (that has flown a few times before) all of the above? I have highlighted the parts I think are just so blatently obvious / insignificant. For example, if she is wearing metal jewelery she will be advised by the security staff to remove it and if she doesn't, the scanner will beep....she is not likely to get detained

I think going into this level of detail as you suggest may actually heighten anxiety as to do into such blatantly simple things would surely imply the whole travel experience is fraught with difficulties and problems? After all, how difficult is to get through security, periodically look at a TV monitor for the gate number and follow the extremely well signed directions to the gate? How difficult is it to look at the seat numbers when boarding and work out where you are likely to be seated? Does she really need to be told these things and/or have a list produced by a parent with these things?

Surely a 21 year old will have observed some of the blindingly obvious rituals and procedures of travelling by now?
Whether I would or not depends on the person flying but the OP asked for whatever tips we might give someone. These are tips others have told me they have found useful or things I do that I find ease the usually problematic areas.

The OP is very capable of deciding which if any of our ideas are going to be useful for her daughter.

Some 21 year olds are not as bold and self confident as others. If this young lady has a problem with being shy or is worried that she will look a fool, she may need to be encouraged to actually ask questions that the rest of us would not hesitate to ask. I know some 40 somethings who would find it difficult to fly LH on their own because they are very shy and self conscious. Maybe we need to be aware that these less confident folks are part of the flying community?

Your sniping along with the sniping of some others here regarding this mum's feeling that she wants to help her daughter is really rude. Maybe if more mums worried a bit about their kids of any age we wouldn't have so many youngsters who are basically out-of-control? Maybe having a bit of knowledge passed on by some of us will help this young lady to feel more confident and to enjoy her travels? What on earth does it hurt? If you don't want to be bothered by it, don't read it!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:23 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Your sniping along with the sniping of some others here regarding this mum's feeling that she wants to help her daughter is really rude. Maybe if more mums worried a bit about their kids of any age we wouldn't have so many youngsters who are basically out-of-control? Maybe having a bit of knowledge passed on by some of us will help this young lady to feel more confident and to enjoy her travels? What on earth does it hurt? If you don't want to be bothered by it, don't read it!
There wasn't an ounce of sniping on my part. Just bewilderment as I thought your advice was far more suited to an unaccompanied minor of <10 years old, not a 21 year old who has flown before. My 15 year old would not need to be told how to go through security and that she should look at the monitor screens once airside to establish the right gate etc etc. If I tried to explain how to find her seat on boarding, by looking at the seat row numbers and that A is on the right of the aircraft as you board I would get laughed at. The OP's daughter is 21 remember and has flown before @:-)

As for "don't read it", well I did and I commented (this is an IBB remember). I commented because I thought going into this level of miniscule detail could actually have the opposite effect to that intended as it could imply that the whole flight is fraught with danger and difficulty and one wrong move at security, the gate and on boarding would have serious consequences. But it doesn't.

As I posted, I think the good advice and assistance for a 21 year old flying to PEK alone and for the first time is making sure the visa is correctly filled out plus any hints and tips on arrival and getting landside by those who have done it before, ie getting through immigration. Pretty much everything else regarding check-in, security, finding the gate and then your correct seat on boarding is the same whether you are flying to Manchester, Paris, Majorca, New York etc. The OP's daughter has flown before, just not alone and not to PEK....

Sorry you saw it as sniping...it genuinely wasn't. I simply felt the advice should be targeted to the specifics of the destination, not as if she was an unaccompanied minor flying for the very first time

Last edited by BOH; Jan 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
He'll be fine. He knows about MFUs, and he'll be wearing A&F
Oh I will... A&F sweatpants are a necessity when travelling longhaul! Also being packed in the case are my press up stands- although I don't think I could bring myself to do it in the CW galley area like I have seen some people do before

It isn't the easiest itinerary and some people my age think I am absolutely crazy for doing it but I'm sure it will be ok! Just need to keep my wits about me! I have done plenty of SH travel before, I fly JER-LGW-JER solo about twice a year and get trains across London, it isn't too bad!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
You'll be fine Mikey. Now the first time I flew alone I had to get trains from Reading to Luton AND fly Sleazyjet...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:12 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by mikey2124
Oh I will... A&F sweatpants are a necessity when travelling longhaul! Also being packed in the case are my press up stands- although I don't think I could bring myself to do it in the CW galley area like I have seen some people do before

It isn't the easiest itinerary and some people my age think I am absolutely crazy for doing it but I'm sure it will be ok! Just need to keep my wits about me! I have done plenty of SH travel before, I fly JER-LGW-JER solo about twice a year and get trains across London, it isn't too bad!
Burgundy in true FTer style, I'm sure

It's the connection in BLR that would worry me but I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

My tip is to stop worrying -she's 21 and will be fine. If she can catch a train, she can catch a plane. Main thing is to get there in plenty of time, avoid drink, and keep all documents handy and on no account to put them in her seatpocket!

There will be plenty of staff to ask if something should go wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikey2124
Let's hope the OH doesn't see this or you may be in trouble!

I am doing my first longhaul flight in June, JER-LGW, LHR-BLR-IXM-BLR-LHR, LGW-JER.

I am scared, not going to lie! I am really looking forward to it though, I snapped up a cracking WT+ fare that I could MFU to CW (cheaper than buying the WT+ fare outright) so I spent about 80 extra each way to go from WT to CW! The trip earns 24,500 Avios when I spent 25,000 so I am practically earning back what I used to upgrade!

I am sure I will be fine, will be running on pure adrenaline on the way out and will be so used to India on the way back that I will know what I am doing and air travel should feel easy!
Sounds fun!

What's the WORST case? You misconnect.

You will be FINE and when you make it, you'll wonder what you worried about. If thousands of people a year can connect there, so can you.

It's natural to be apprehensive- but do just ask. Indeed, if you run into problems, post on FT and I'm sure you'll get sorted out!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA304
Burgundy in true FTer style, I'm sure

It's the connection in BLR that would worry me but I'm sure it'll be fine.
The ones I have are grey, but I am off to New York in a few weeks and A&F/Hollister is dirt cheap out there so I may buy myself some burgundy sweatpants- the A&F ones I saw online looked nice!

I arrive at 0430, don't leave until 1410 so I am going to go to a nearby hotel about 5-10 mins away (special offer with Clarks Exotica) which means that I get a transfer to and from the airport, a very well priced day room with free breakfast, use of the leisure facilities which I am happy with as I may use the gym and it also has an outdoor pool. This means I can go to sleep at 0600, wake up at around 0830 after a short nap, have breakfast, go to the pool at around 0930, sunbathe for an hour or so and then get my transfer to the airport, nice and refreshed. I can get a good rate as I will be staying there the night before my BLR-LHR flight. Nicely timed too, arrive at BLR at around 1350, quick transfer to airport, sunbathe from 1500-1630, early dinner, nap, up at 0230, 45 mins to get ready and sorted, out of hotel by 0400, checked in by 0430, ready for flight back at 0630. All times approximate and this is a very rough idea of what I will do!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm three months off turning 40, have been flying lh for years, and yet every time I fly from home from NCL my mum fusses and frets before I leave the house for the airport. Have i got my ticket? Passport? Keys? Yes, I roll my eyes and sigh - but deep down it means everything to know that I'm still her wee boy and she's looking after me as only mums do. The OP's being a great mum and her daughter will love her for it
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:38 pm
formerly known as lady1964
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
I'm actually quite shocked by a few of the responses on here, how can people be so rude & unsympathetic? All I can say is I'm glad they're not my parents, I wonder if they even have kids, I hope not.

To those who have been constructive and helpful, thanks very much, I really appreciate the suggestions and advice.

My daughter is planning to visit in June so plenty of time to think about the above and what will be useful to her. I can chat to her in April when I go home to make sure she feels confident in her own abilities to be safe and prepared for a new experience. I started this thread to get ideas for her as she said to hubby that she's worried about flying solo and we both wanted her to book with confidence rather than not come at all.

As it happens, she's very intelligent, has a good job and lived away from home for two years before coming back. However, that doesn't mean she isn't nervous about flying solo. Hell, I've been married for 25 years in September, but I'm nervous about flying solo in April because I've never done it before so the constructive advice has helped me too.

What a pity some people don't recognise concern from a mother, as Kiley'smom put it, if more parents had concern for their kids, there might not be so many out of control kids. I know my daughter will appreciate the thought and advice given & for that, thank you.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by lady1964
As the title says: My 21 year old daughter is looking to book a fight to visit us in Beijing but she's worried because she's never flown on her own before - neither have I come to think of it and I have that pleasure to come in April!

She'll be flying BA out of T5 and I wondered if anyone has any tips to help her overcome her worries. She's only a Blue member and will be flying WT. I can give her some advice once I've completed my own solo trip in April/May but I want her to feel reassured enough now for her to book the flights.

Many thanks
Have a few beers before and during the flight and she may arrive with the future lady1964 son-in-law.....?v
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
Hi Lady!

I completely understand why you are so concerned.

I'm now 28 and when I fly on my own (and have done many times), I sometimes get nervous and a bit stressed out.

What usually helps (well of course if my neighbour doesnt mind) is chatting to people next to me on the plane when I get on, it keeps my mind busy.

If your daughter gets "lost" in the airport, tell her to look for any member of airport staff (easy to spot, they all carry ID badges), who are usually very helpfull.

Also, as some people have already said, your daughter should try and get to the airport early, then she has loads of time to visit the airport shops, relax with a drink, pick up a newspaper without having to worry too much.

Hope this helps

Steffi
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by SteffiJA
then she has loads of time to visit the airport shops,
NO!!!!! The biggest danger of all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.