Wiki Posts
Search

First to New York with Amex 241

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
First to New York with Amex 241

Thinking of taking the GF to New York on weekend of 10th and 11th Nov 2012. We have plenty of Avios and an Amex 241 and I want to go First. .Not having been to New York before, I have a few questions which I know someone may be able to assist me with.

I think the is pretty good availability flying out on 9th and back on 13th. .It looks like I can go from LHR to EWR on BA185 which I think is a 747 and on the way back we can fly from EWR or JFK which looks like 747s or 777s. We could also fly out on 8th and back on 12th.

- is there anyway to know which of these will have "new first"?
- having not been to New York before, does it matter if we go to / from JFK/ EWR?
- if we are going on "old first" is there much point flying on the way out bearing in mind it's a day flight - should we go CW and fly from LCY?
- is First in 747 better / worse than a 777?

Any recommendations / tips greatly appreciated
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Starwoods Gold
Great idea using the 241 on First to NY here is my suggestions

- is there anyway to know which of these will have "new first"?

At the moment JFK has the majority of NF over EWR its also advertised by BA as NF route (although its not 100% guaranteed). By November more planes would have been refitted so you probably would have a better chance for NF on a EWR flight. But my preference would still be JFK.

- having not been to New York before, does it matter if we go to / from JFK/ EWR?

I would recommend JFK, some people say immigration is quicker at EWR but I know people who have had long waits there. Being in F you will be one of the first off the plane so as long as its not busy from an previous arriving flight you should be fine.

Also I also assume you will be staying in Manhattan or at least in NYC, EWR is in NJ which involves getting a taxi into NY although the taxi ride is a similar duration. Its a $45 flat rate into Manhattan (excluding tips and tolls) you can also get a decent car service for around $60 (dial7.com is my personal preference but search the board as theres quite a few topics). You probably should get a nice car into the city anyway - nothing worse getting off First and into a NY/NJ yellow taxi

- if we are going on "old first" is there much point flying on the way out bearing in mind it's a day flight - should we go CW and fly from LCY?

Depends on how many miles you want to burn, if you have spare then I would do First both ways. Although to save miles you could do JFK - LCY or JFK/EWR - LHR as the flights are a sleeper service (however you would miss out on the CCR at JFK - which there isnt one at EWR along with no Spa). Even with Old First I would do F on LHR - JFK as its really the experience you want rather than the cabin (plus you get CCR in LHR T5)

- is First in 747 better / worse than a 777?

I prefer NF in the 747 when traveling alone because there feels more private space at the front. I traveled with my best friend on a 777 middle row (1E 1F) to DXB when NF just came out and that was perfect while randomly a couple were split between us in 1A and 1K (perhaps they didnt know the flight was a 777). However 1A and 1K or 4E and 4F are my favorites when traveling with someone on a 747.

Hope this helps

-chessy
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I thought you would have had more replies on this.

I'd always understood it was poor value to use a 2-4-1 on such a short trip.

I guess it depends on why you are going to New York, how many miles you have, how you collect them and how you value your miles but personally I wouldn't use them on such a short trip.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:17 am

I was in a similar position as the you - had some avios burning in my online wallet and wanted to fly First. I didn't know where. The Mrs mentioned how wonderful NYC is a few times so I got the hint and booked. I didn't have enough miles to book F both ways - I had enough to book F one way and then J the other. Acting upon advice given in FT, I booked F on the outbound so that we could experience F in its fullest form - CCR and day flight on board. I was told that on the return leg as it's a night flight I might as well book J as we'd be wanting to sleep (won't be awake for most of the flight to enjoy the features of the F service that differentiate it from J). I decided on booking the JFK route in both directions as there was a higher chance of NF on the outbound and upon the return I was told that the JFK lounge is better than EWR. I acknowledge however that you are wanting to fly F both ways so if you choose JFK for the return, you'd also be able to use the CCR there as well.

You also mention LCY. I have been led to believe that the LCY service is better than J from LHR as it's a smaller plane so that the cabin feels more personal, the service is brilliant (I am yet to read a negative TR about the LCY service), boarding is complete in no time and is the closest most people will ever get to the feeling of a private jet. As the LCY service uses the same number of miles as J from/to LHR I decided to book LCY on the return to make it more special than the J to LHR (but still using the same number of miles). We intend to use the facilities at the Radisson for showers and breakfast upon arrival.

I am travelling in 5 or so weeks time so will be posting a TR on here if you want to read.

Hope this helped!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'd think for this route, if LCY is convenient for you then that's exactly what you should aim for. The customs clearance in SNN is obviously a winner, whereas I feel the CCR at LHR is overrated.

Service in F is attentive, especially if the flight is quiet, but from all the reports it sounds like the LCY service is top notch too.

What's more, you save yourselves a bunch of miles in the process.

As for the return, unless you get the daytime flight, go for J class. Into LHR if you want the arrivals lounge, or LCY if that's closer to home.

Someone mentioned dial7 above - I tried to use them last September (downtown to LGA) and it was a total mess. Limores however picked me up in LGA that morning and it was as seamless as you could imagine.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Be aware that if you choose a 747 flight it is subject to change between now and the firming up of the winter timetable. (But if you are on a reward ticket you have the flexibility to change back to a 744 flight if necessary - subject to a cost, depending on your Frequent Flyer status)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I'll have to have a good think about it all, but thinking JFK is the better option. The Avios (god I hate using that word!) Are not an issue as I'm accumulating them much faster than I can possibly spend them and I currently have two 241s and the GFs 30th birthday so New York is a good option for us.

Appreciate the tips on night versus day flights in regards to enjoying the first experience fully and need to think about when to fly out to maximise the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.