Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Not everyone is as obsessed as us about the best seat!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I flew back from MCT last night and when I checked in I could have grabbed any seat in the F cabin. Roll forward 8 hours to the flight and the AUH-LHR sector had 16 seats occupied in F.

I can't believe that no one other than me had pre-selected a seat for the flight.

Are we a little too obsessed about seats?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Op-ups!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends on the routes. I dont think some leisure routes have everyone picking their seats either.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Op-ups!
Surely not 15 of them!

Also when I checked they were selling JCD4 and FA1 which sort of indicates otherwise doesn't it? I know that rev mgt is a black art but why allow sales of 4 J but only 1 F?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have a 95% OpUp rate on that route in 2011, my highest rate, not always welcome due to OF and my power guzzling activities.

But it is worth reiterating that not all travellers are obsessed with seats. I was chatting to a coterie of Golds and Silvers in the NCL lounge yesterday - (quite a few delays and unfortunately I missed a rare chance to go down on the 767 that operated one service) - and most of them weren't that bothered - or didn't get the time - to muck about with seating. One irregular traveller there said she was very happy to have a middle seat if near the front, which doesn't compute for me, but it just goes to show that we perhaps need to keep things in proportion.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Moomba
Surely not 15 of them!
Quite easily. The largest user of that route are staff members of PDO, who can represent over half the travellers. Very lucrative for BA, but their corporate policy is J (or even Y in certain cases). You can spot them by the bar codes on their laptops.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely not 15 of them!

Also when I checked they were selling JCD4 and FA1 which sort of indicates otherwise doesn't it? I know that rev mgt is a black art but why allow sales of 4 J but only 1 F?
In which case absolutely op-ups. This is a pattern I see very frequently on long haul. My suspicion is that they are more likely to sell J than F at short notice so would prefer to offer more inventory there.

BA have gone in 5 years from heavily protecting the forward cabins to taking a very dynamic view of revenue. It - I suspect - one of they contributors to staying afloat and even profitable in the last few challenging years.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:56 am
Original Poster

In which case absolutely op-ups. This is a pattern I see very frequently on long haul. My suspicion is that they are more likely to sell J than F at short notice so would prefer to offer more inventory there.
How bizarre! Surely they could then offer F4 as well, what harm would it do?

So perhaps I should have titled this thread "why bother paying for F when the cabin is going to be filled with op-ups?"
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How bizarre! Surely they could then offer F4 as well, what harm would it do?
Because they know they are oversold and would rather not risk having to downgrade people from Club.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:57 am

BA have gone in 5 years from heavily protecting the forward cabins to taking a very dynamic view of revenue. It - I suspect - one of they contributors to staying afloat and even profitable in the last few challenging years.
But if they have 4 seats left to sell why not just go JCD4 FA4?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:37 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

They must have been OpUps...everyone booked in F gets a seat allocated for them whether Blue, Bronze, Silver or Gold. (or *shudder* doesn't have a BA Executive Club account)

So if at check in, there were no allocations, no-one was booked into that cabin.

I am in a rare position on this forum to have flown as a blue in first, and can tell you that my first sector automatically booked me into 4E as it happens, and I moved it to 2A.

PS Happy new year to all.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I wouldn't make assumptions about the rarity of that... isn't that the whole point of being a Tesco blue?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA,AA
I am a Tesco Blue and my First First has allocated me 2K - I presume thats OK!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: BA bronze
It might not just be commercial upgrades,but also BA staff on F class priorities, who would not have been assigned seats until check in is coming to a close or has closed.

Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think your title despite the likelihood of your cabin being full of op-ups is probably near the truth.

On a few flights I've had the chance of nabbing the so called best seats and failed to do so. I also noticed on our flight to YVR a guy sitting beside a stranger in the middle seats stayed where he was rather than moving to one of the 'good' aisle seats that lay empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.