Letter from Amex ref EU EC account

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:10 pm
SRG
Original Poster

Programs: KM Flypass, Qatar, Emirates
Letter from Amex ref EU EC account

Hi folks

I moved abroad permanently in June last year and updated my EC account details to my new address, as well as my Amex card address as well. Everything was fine until this morning when I received a letter from Amex saying they have been advised by BA that my exec club is not held within the UK, and in order for any avios points to transfer to my EC account, I need to contact BA and request my account is transferred back to the UK.

Anyone experienced this? Can I really retain a EU address but have my EC account transferred back to the UK without a UK address? Sounds strange.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by SRG
Hi folks

I moved abroad permanently in June last year and updated my EC account details to my new address, as well as my Amex card address as well. Everything was fine until this morning when I received a letter from Amex saying they have been advised by BA that my exec club is not held within the UK, and in order for any avios points to transfer to my EC account, I need to contact BA and request my account is transferred back to the UK.

Anyone experienced this? Can I really retain a EU address but have my EC account transferred back to the UK without a UK address? Sounds strange.
No. If your BA account is EU based you cannot have the BA Amex - if you ask Amex they will 'suspend' the account for you but until your BA EC account is back in the UK the BA Amex will have to remain dormant.

BAH
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
No. If your BA account is EU based you cannot have the BA Amex - if you ask Amex they will 'suspend' the account for you but until your BA EC account is back in the UK the BA Amex will have to remain dormant.

BAH
Slight correction - you can have BA amex you just have any miles credited

If you like the card
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:21 am

Indeed you can have a BA Amex. If/when you move back to the UK they will back- credit your miles to you EC account
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:37 am
SRG
Original Poster

Ah ok - are my 241 vouchers earned already (and showing on my BA EC page) still valid for use though?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
If you they are not greyed out within your BAEC page then they should be valid; try going through a dummy booking to see.

In your case, the slight hitch might be that - to pay for a redemption flight - you must use an AMEX, which clearly can't be your BA AMEX!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by dark_horse
If you they are not greyed out within your BAEC page then they should be valid; try going through a dummy booking to see.

In your case, the slight hitch might be that - to pay for a redemption flight - you must use an AMEX, which clearly can't be your BA AMEX!
Your voucher should be greyed out, which means you cannot redeem it until your account is moved back to the UK.

If it isn't greyed out, for some reason, then of course you CAN use your BA Amex to pay for the taxes - you simply won't earn any miles for the transaction until your account is moved back to the UK (and even then you don't 'lose' any miles, you simply get them later).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:05 am
SRG
Original Poster

OK, thanks for the replies guys - good info to know. Not sure if I'll renew my Amex after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.