Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Solo holiday suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by JPS76
Although not beach territory, try Japan for a solo holiday...

Suspect ther'll be plenty of MFU opps too if thats important.
If you go to Okinawa, it is certainly a beach territory as they have pretty good beaches and much warmer weather than Tokyo for instance.

Cheap flight to Okinawa, at 10,000 yen each way, on OW Yokoso fare, and excellent MFU availability for Tokyo from London.

Still, I am not sure if I would recommend Japan to a solo traveller unless they want to shop (but only if they are small if after clothes) and do lots of sight-seeing. There are many better beach locations than Japan.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Well, here it comes from the 'expert'. I have traveled the globe and most of it solo. My criterion for a destination to be 'solo friendly' is that you can keep to yourself if you want without feeling isolated and that you can easily make acquaintances if you want to.

My top destinations for that are:
  1. Thailand (whomever said that it wasn't solo traveler friendly probably has never been there). I hate Phuket but there are better locations like Koh Lanta.
  2. Costa Rica. Especially easy if you surf but even if you don't it attracts a friendly kind of people. Playa Samara would be my choice. No nightlife to speak of but you easily meet people to have drinks with.
  3. Bali. Yes, loads of couples but also lots of expats. Make sure you're in Seminyak and hang out at KuDeTa and surroundings. Loads of clubs, bars and great restaurants. Lots of single women of all ages too.
  4. Miami. Need I explain? Hard to really get to know the right people though. It helps if you're stinking rich.
  5. Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam - for the more adventurous. Not sure that is what you are looking for.

Places I would not recommend:

• Japan - you'll be lonely as hell. Hard to socialize with the 'natives' and I did not encounter many 'kindred travelers'.
  • California if you don't know people there. I am lucky enough to know a lot of people there but if you don't you'll be very isolated. I spent some time in places where I knew nobody and it wasn't much fun. If you enjoy being by yourself it is the best place on earth though.
I was the one who said Thailand wasn't solo friendly. And I have been there. Reason why is that compared to other places it is not as geared up towards solo travellers. The land of smiles is best enjoyed as 1) a group 2) in your 20s/30s.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As henkybaby said, Cambodia is interesting. Pop along to Koh Kong and have a cheap but interesting break. I am sure there are a few brits there as well..
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
thanks for all the advice.

I've been to Japan a few times but better places for a beach holiday I think.

Vietnam could be a possibility - seem to be some nice beaches and a few sights to see. Not entirely sure how to get there!

Last edited by irmster; Jan 4, 2012 at 1:28 am
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by irmster
Vietnam could be a possibility - seem to be some nice beaches a few sights to see. Not entirely sure how to get there!
Via HKG on CX.... Make sure that you pick the right half of the country for the time you're traveling.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:44 am

What about Goa or Sri Lanka, I have found them to be friendly places. I often take a taxi a go exploring for the day with them whilst the other half would stay on the beach.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gash
Yes a bunch of "grands" and a workforce - but careful what you "wish(?)" for
The price is for a day.....with no F&F rates, no points or loyalty benefits of any kind. I don't see any takers.

Well, here it comes from the 'expert'.
And the rest of us aren't?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
And the rest of us aren't?
You guys all have significant others and families. Some even move to different continents for them...

I am in Thailand now and I still fail to see how it is not suitable for the over 30's solo traveler. What I like about it is that you can immerse yourself in luxury if you want or go for a more 'relaxed' environment all in the same 10 square miles. The disadvantage is that you may be mistaken for a dirty old man. Every old, fat white guy I see here walking around by himself I immediately consider to be a sex tourist...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You guys all have significant others and families. Some even move to different continents for them...
I had years of solo travelling before getting lumbered so I do know a bit about it.
I really enjoyed travelling on my own but hated stopping in one place for more than a couple of days....much preferred being on the move.
As for beaches.....I hate them unless they are deserted.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Still, I am not sure if I would recommend Japan to a solo traveller unless they want to shop (but only if they are small if after clothes) and do lots of sight-seeing. There are many better beach locations than Japan.
I agree. I love Japan and have been solo quite a few times - but I don't think of it as a beach holiday destination.

For culture, food and lovely people though, it's hard to beat.

BAH
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Every old, fat white guy I see here walking around by himself I immediately consider to be a sex tourist...
Well stop looking in mirrors then !!!

BAH
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Well stop looking in mirrors then !!!

BAH
I had estimated it would take at least one hour for that one to pop up.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by irmster
Dubai is one option I suppose. Any others welcomed! Would need to be long haul I guess as the Med would not be hot enough then.
I would recommend Oman over Dubai.

There are some great hotels like The Chedi, which aren't cheap, but the IC in Muscat is perfect and on the beach:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...cations/muscat

Just 30k Priority Club points per night, too!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I also like the Grand Hyatt in Muscat, though the Intercon has a good views of the sea from its mini cliff. The Grand Hyatt has several internal restaurants, and one or two other places in walking distance, but you best factor in a few taxi fares to other places in Muscat. Funny green parakeets come swooping around at breakfast time. The beach facilities are better at the Intercon, but not all rooms have good views. The Grand Hyatt rooms are much better and are big. You've got to be a bit careful where you point your camera at that hotel, the neighbours are indeed embassies and they get twitchy about that!

However in terms of sociability you may want to go to one of the traditional medium or smaller resorts of the Leeward Isalnds, in places like Nevis. Eg. Nisbet Plantation. People tend to do their own thing during the day, but there's a formalish dinner included in the rate and people mix together for that.

I don't dismiss Americans, I find them naturally sociable, even in California, but I see the point that is being made. Costa Rica is lovely!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Cardboard
Places I would not recommend:

• Japan - you'll be lonely as hell. Hard to socialize with the 'natives' and I did not encounter many 'kindred travelers'.
Really? As a solo traveller who's been to Japan several times I'd say it's a fantastic place to visit. I guess it depends what you're looking for - I like to explore, and coupled with a JR Pass (as mentioned a few posts back) it's possible to cover a lot of quite varied ground in one trip. Possibly not what the OP is after, though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.