Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Daily Mail claims that QF F is like the Starship Enterprise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Daily Mail claims that QF F is like the Starship Enterprise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by johnashw
Every day is a slow news day in that loathsome rag. However if you want chronic misreporting. low level tittle tattle and a pandering to middle class fears then this is the paper for you. Am surprised Qantas first hasn't been linked with falling house prices and a surge in unwanted immigration
+1.
It was never like this when Diana was alive.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:16 pm

Which reminds me - why does BA provide the Daily Mail as newspaper onboard flights? As toilet paper I can understand, but if someone wanted credible news, surely the Independent or similar would be better?

It's very odd, especially as the Daily Wail frequently bashes BA....very illogical
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by EK029
Which reminds me - why does BA provide the Daily Mail as newspaper onboard flights? As toilet paper I can understand, but if someone wanted credible news, surely the Independent or similar would be better?

It's very odd, especially as the Daily Wail frequently bashes BA....very illogical
Aren't they one of the few remaining ones provided free to various companies? The Independent and the FT are the other two that BA usually offers on flights, I think.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)

I think the Mail (along with the Independent/The i) is one of the few papers which still sells bulk copies (i.e. The papers are sold to BA for virtually nothing) this practice used to happen at all papers to boost circulation with millions of papers a day given to gyms, hotels, airlines, train companies etc. However about 2 years ago the people who measure circulation started publishing the figures without bulks so only papers people paid for directly were counted. Almost instantly most of the bulks were dropped and now most non Mail/Indie papers are the preserve of the lounge.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:03 pm

Just to put things in perspective for the many deliciously obsessive Mail-bashers on this forum. First of all, very pleased to see how many of you are reading my paper of choice (or how else would you know it's so bad?). Secondly, it is totally, starkly obvious to anyone except the terminally pedantic that the mock-up picture is just that - a mock-up. Thirdly, as a previous poster has said, bulk sales are stripped out of newspaper circulation figures and published separately. Ad rates are based on paid sales, not bulks. However, the bulks are NOT sold to BA at a particularly huge discount. A newspaper on sale over the counter at your corner shop for 55p (as the Daily Mail is), will have cost the newsagent 30p. Thus, he makes a profit of 25p on every one sold. BA pays 22.5, which makes them a total loss of 22.5p for each copy as they are given away free.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by mickchick
Secondly, it is totally, starkly obvious to anyone except the terminally pedantic that the mock-up picture is just that - a mock-up.
Is it?

The first class cabin of Qantas's A380 super-jumbos looks astonishingly like the U.S.S. Enterprise in Star Trek - although you'll have to settle for earthly routes such as London to Sydney and Sydney to Los Angeles.
The interior, designed by Marc Newson includes LCD touch panels, leather seating, plants, sheepskin-covered full-length beds and more than 1,000 videos to choose from.
We then have a picture of (what people here describe as) mocked up cabin with the quote

The interior was designed by Marc Newson and includes leather seating, LCD touch panels, plants and sheepskin-covered beds
It's entirely reasonable for anyone reading the article to conclude that the interior pictured is that of a Qantas A380.

Also your pricing for the Daily Mail would suggest that BA are spending about £5 million a year on the paper. Can we get rid of it and have sandwiches back on shorthaul please?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Wow, they have Dom! Cool! ^
Not recently, no, but they do have Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Leaving aside the Daily Hate, the QF A380 F product is really fantastic. The seat, food and staff are truly first class. ^ ^
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
One of my favourite websites is the list of everything that the DM has said either causes or cures cancer: http://kill-or-cure.heroku.com/

Oh, and even worse about this article is that it's clearly listen from (an incorrect) article on a blog - the journalist himself admits it! Journalism today...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:19 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA304
Which was the airline with the "Captain Kirk" chair in the centre of the nose of a 747 or something like that?

(Captain Kirk is Star Trek, right?)
Lufti

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...747_400_V2.php

seat 4E
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I have heard that BA F is rather a lot like a gentlemen's club...

Ludicrous as there is no pole at all!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Which reminds me - why does BA provide the Daily Mail ...
Surely you mean the Daily Heil?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:25 am

Doesn't look like an obvious mock up to me.

Vile newspaper.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby

Well you never know on our 380s there may be....

As for the pictures in the Mail, the first one is not an obvious mock. I knew it wasn't QF but assumed it must be another carrier.... And yes, it does look like a star trek set!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:13 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by henkybaby

Which picture is BA F?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mickchick
First of all, very pleased to see how many of you are reading my paper of choice (or how else would you know it's so bad?).
Know your enemy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.