Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA - 2012 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Not perfect, but their data/coverage is the same as O2 as they use their network (and are owned by them, but at arms length).

There's a few hassles and sometimes their website goes down at the worst time possible (as an ex-bmi customer I'm used to it ), but ultimately I'm happy as they offer good value.

If you decide to give it a go PM me and I'll send you an affiliate link, you'll get an extra £5 credit and so will I.

What I did was get a SIM, try it out for coverage etc in an old Nokia I had, then for a few days I put the SIM in my regular phone to test data speeds, etc. Then you you're happy at the end of the month you can port your number over, if you're not happy you've just spent a tenner, a lot safer than getting tied down in a contract.

You can pay in two different ways, you can have what they call a recurring goodybag when you pay for your package monthly on a credit (Visa/MC only) or debit card.

What I do is top my phone up PAYG style buying an O2 voucher from Tesco on my Amex to maximise points (so it was nice when they sent me that 200 bonus points voucher) and then you can take your unlimited data/texts package out of your PAYG credit.
I am also on giffgaff, and do exactly as above! The only thing to note, the £10 goodybag is going to be limited to 1GB from November, for unlimited data you need the new £12 one!

Other than that, can't recommend them enough. I get £500 or so back twice a year from them for referring people, which is also nice
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Jamjaw
I am also on giffgaff, and do exactly as above! The only thing to note, the £10 goodybag is going to be limited to 1GB from November, for unlimited data you need the new £12 one!

Other than that, can't recommend them enough. I get £500 or so back twice a year from them for referring people, which is also nice
Did you get the 200 points for an O2 top up voucher from Tesco recently?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Did you get the 200 points for an O2 top up voucher from Tesco recently?
Nope - no such luck.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Veering completely off topic ... are you a happy bunny with giffgaff?
It's a case of YMMV. Their performance is variable and they have had network problems.

One good thing (until they 'enhance' it, like the data limits) is genuinely free calls to 0800 numbers. I hadn't seen that with other operators.

My own situation: I already had a giffgaff SIM which I inserted in my new phone after I had bought a £5 data topup to test data coverage. The next day, I checked coverage and couldn't connect. Over to giffgaff.com who told me that the credit was exhausted. Huh?

Getting nowhere fast, I signed up for an unlimited data plan with another operator. It turns out that giffgaff's message was wrong - it had been posted 'in error'.

So not a happy bunny, though my unlimited plan with another operator seems to be working well.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Roger
One good thing (until they 'enhance' it, like the data limits) is genuinely free calls to 0800 numbers. I hadn't seen that with other operators.
I remember reading somewhere that Ofcom has ruled all operators will have to make 0800 free in the future, but can't remember the source or when they have to implement it.

I remember when I first got my mobile (1999 I think) free 0800 calls were a selling point of Orange, but they followed the herd and started charging for them.

When giffgaff was still in its trial phase for me (waiting for my Orange contract to expire) I found the 0800 free calls very handy as I was frequently calling a company that used an 0800 contact number.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Still OT, 0800 calls are free on Skype. 0845 etc., do not seem to be. Just 0800. Vodafone offered a contract including free 0800, and a lot of other 08nn calls included free in the core contract for a brief period last summer. Have eagerly awaited the return of this offer. Finally given up and just switched most of my calls to Skype instead. So I no longer need a contract plan with a mobile network. Although the return of that offer would have made me sign up for a contract plan with Vodafone.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Still OT, 0800 calls are free on Skype. 0845 etc., do not seem to be. Just 0800. Vodafone offered a contract including free 0800, and a lot of other 08nn calls included free in the core contract for a brief period last summer. Have eagerly awaited the return of this offer. Finally given up and just switched most of my calls to Skype instead. So I no longer need a contract plan with a mobile network. Although the return of that offer would have made me sign up for a contract plan with Vodafone.
0800 calls are supposed to be free though, the owner of the number pays for the incoming calls.

0845/0870 numbers are supposed to be more expensive because the owner of the number can can get a share of the revenue from the provider when someone calls them.

I used to make a tidy profit from running a "free" dialup internet service on 0845 numbers back in the days when that was the only way to connect to the internet and other providers were still charging £10 a month for dialup access and making money on the 0845 revenue.

Sadly those good old days are long gone
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Vodafone do a bolt-on for free 0800 calls for £2.50 per month. I was offered it during a service review call this week.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
Vodafone do a bolt-on for free 0800 calls for £2.50 per month. I was offered it during a service review call this week.
I pay this. It's something like 0845, 0800 and a few other numbers. 300 minutes for a couple of quid a month.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:21 pm

Has anyone tried the HP printer cartridge offer in bulk?

I print loads and so could reasonably buy 6 cartridges to see me through the next couple of months alone. If I can collect 500 points for every 2 that I buy, then it'll be worth it for the 1200 Avios each time. However, I usually get them from somewhere which is about £1 per cartridge cheaper and so if the offer only applies once it's not really worth my while.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:25 pm

The 500 points is given for every 2 HP cartridges you buy. No limit as far as I know, but it certainly can be used multiple times. The points are shown immediately on your receipt so you can see they have gone on ok.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have read reports of people having points taken away for bulk buying. Tesco's T&C's forbid you using CC for business purposes and that is the clause they fall back on. Someone also emailed me via the blog about this happening to them.

That said, it seems to be done at random with this promo and not to everyone.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies (as usual!).

I usually print loads because:

a) I act as the unofficial family travel agent, thus I've always got someone on the phone "Can you please print off that hotel confirmation that you booked for me".

b) I'm studying via an online course, and prefer to print the course notes than read off the screen.

I don't think either of these can really constitute as business use - quite simply someone who needs to print a lot and wants to make best use of the offer!

I know that this is a bit of a stab in the dark, but does anyone have an opinion on whether buying 10 cartridges (taking advantage of 5 x 500 points) is likely to go down ok with Tesco? I'm not sure whether 2,500 points is the kind of amount that Tesco would flag up as potentially abusing the system, or whether there are many worse people out there racking up tens of thousands of points.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by AllTheNines
I know that this is a bit of a stab in the dark, but does anyone have an opinion on whether buying 10 cartridges (taking advantage of 5 x 500 points) is likely to go down ok with Tesco? I'm not sure whether 2,500 points is the kind of amount that Tesco would flag up as potentially abusing the system, or whether there are many worse people out there racking up tens of thousands of points.
It's only my personal opinion but I would have thought that would be ok. I'm considering stocking up myself. Our printer takes 4 cartridges anyway, so just to double that is not unreasonable.

given that Tesco do promotions with 2000 CC points on (Galaxy Tab for example, surely it would not be an issue.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by AllTheNines
Thanks for the helpful replies (as usual!).

I buy 10 all the time. Last time it was on i bought 10 for each clubcard in the family.

Edit: Especially if you have 4 different colours to buy like i do. It's only like buying 2 sets and 2 additional blacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.