Tesco and BA - 2012 master thread

Old Jan 2, 12, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Tesco and BA - 2012 master thread

Tesco is a major partner with BA, and offers one of the easiest non-flying ways for UK BAEC members to earn lots of miles. Details of how the Tesco scheme works can be found in “The Ultimate BA Guide” sticky.

In summary, you can convert your Tesco Clubcard points to Avios in the ratio 1 Clubcard point = 2.4 Avios. (As of 2012, you can also earn Virgin Flying Club miles via Tesco at the rate of 1 Clubcard point = 2.5 Flying Club miles. VS miles can be converted to Hilton at a 1:2 ratio so 1 Clubcard point = 5 Hilton points, albeit with a 10k minimum conversion from Virgin. You can also go VS to Priority Club, but the ratio is too poor to be worth mentioning!)

You earn 1 point for every 1 spent in a Tesco store and for purchases online. Vouchers are issued quarterly as long as you earn at least 150 points.

The real source of bumper Tesco points are the generous promotions that are occasionally run. There is no need to move your food spend to Tesco to collect lots of Avios - you simply need to jump in when a particularly generous bonus points promotion appears, and then sell the goods on ebay! You will make a small loss in most cases but the thousands of miles will more than offset this. In late 2011, HP ink cartridges and Duracell battery chargers, for example, came with enough bonus points to get the cost of an Avios down to 0.75p - and that is before any income from reselling the items.

As with the BA Amex, you can only convert Tesco points to BAEC accounts that are UK domiciled. However, since the launch of Avios this is no longer a major restriction. Nothing stops you opening a separate Avios account at avios.com, converting your Tesco points via that account (there is no address restriction if moving to an avios.com account) and then transferring them across to your BAEC account.

It is possible to set up an auto-convert option with Tesco via the Clubcard website, which will automatically send your vouchers across to Avios each quarter. However, this is not recommended. If you don't need the miles, it makes more sense to keep the vouchers in a drawer and wait until the next transfer promotion comes along offering 40% or so bonus miles. There are also occasional promotions on non-Avios redemptions (shock, horror) which can be excellent value - for eg in 2011 you could for a time get 4 x face value in UK rail travel via redspottedhanky.com.

The online form for clubcard vouchers for conversion can be found here: http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=237, you input the code number on the voucher - points hit your BAEC account in 24 hours. Auto-conversion is also now available again after an absence of a few years, although I personally don't recommend this - sometimes there are other excellent deals available with Clubcard points which may be a better option than Avios, depending on your needs.

Remember that Clubcard vouchers are valid for 2 years. If you do not need the Avios instantly, it makes sense to keep the vouchers in your drawer and wait to see if a conversion promo bonus comes along. In 2010, a bonus of 100% was offered for first-time converters, for example - and anyone could take advantage of this by opening a new BAEC account under a new name (same surname), converting into that and then forming a BA household account to use the Avios.

Historically, I have listed ongoing promotions in this initial post. However, as Tesco has released very few of these recently - preferring to focus on targetted bonus point codes which can only be used by the original recipient - I have removed it and left this post as more of a Tesco introduction.

Bonus points currently available on various in-store grocery products are usually highlighted at http://www.supermarketspecialoffers....intOffers.aspx. I do not generally list such product promos (eg 50 points for buying a 3 box of teabags) separately unless they offer exceptional value for money.

The various Tesco clubs (Wine and Food) have been scrapped - this is a shame as they were an excellent source of bonus point coupons. If you have a small child, it is worth joining the Baby & Toddler Club (see www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/clubs/) as you will receive regular mailings with bonus points offers.

For a far more detailed focus on Tesco clubcard deals and extra points opportunities, you should sign up to the forums at www.paidtoshop.co.uk, run by occasional FT'er Gizmos

The Tesco credit card and other credit cards that indirectly earn Avios:

a) Tesco

The Tesco Clubcard Credit Card earns 1 point for every 4 spent (rounded down on a per transaction, not per statement, basis - so a 7.99 purchase is treated as 4). Points post as soon as the charge hits your account, not at month end. It works out at 0.6 Avios per 1, which is far worse than the BA Premium Plus Amex rate of 1.5 Avois per 1, but there are two reasons for getting the card:

i) some places do not take Amex, especially independent retailers
ii) if you about to trigger the '2 for 1' voucher on your Amex but would rather defer it for a few months, you can switch to your Tesco Mastercard

Note that your Tesco Mastercard also acts as a clubcard, so you don't need to carry your blue clubcard around anymore. In a Tesco store you can, if you want, have your credit card swiped for use as a clubcard and then pay using your BA Amex for maximum miles! Those of us who applied for a card before April 2006 earn miles at twice the rate of the current card - 2 points for every 4 spent. You may therefore see discussions in this thread which relate to the old cards, as many of us still have that.

You can apply via this link http://www.tescobank.com/personal/finance/creditcards/ but personally I would wait as there are regular promotions offering 1,000 bonus clubcard points for taking out the card. See David-A's post #9 below about a 1,000 point referral bonus.

Note that this card is a better earner than the basic Lloyds TSB Avios Mastercard, which only earns a pathetic 0.2 Avios per 1. Frankly, you would be better off with a cashback card than using this.

b) Priority Club
There are two Priority Club credit cards. The basic card offers 10,000 PC points which can be turned into 2,000 Avios: https://www.online-card.co.uk/IHG/Pa...e/Welcome.aspx. The premium black card offers a 20,000 miles sign up bonus (4,000 Avios) but comes with a 99 fee. This is best avoided unless there is a fee-free promo going on. If you a PC member, you may get a mailshot in the post offering a better deal - 40k plus a fee refund on the 99 was the best one going in 2012.

c) Marriott
Marriott Rewards relauched its UK credit card in 2011, see http://apply.creation.co.uk/marriott...nseCode=MRWPPO. The sign-up bonus of 10,000 Marriott points is worth 2,000 Avios.

d) American Express Platinum Card
Amex charge cards which earn Membership Rewards points can be converted to Avios at a 1:1 ratio. Some Corporate cards now earn 2 MR points per 1 which is attractive if you are a sole trader. The '42,000 points for a Platinum sign-up' promo is still going - see the special FT thread on this here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...mo-active.html.

Historically, Amex has never offered a bonus for converting Membership Rewards points into Avios. However, in 2011 and 2012, it ran 3 promotions - first, a 40% bonus, and then a whopping 100% bonus, then another 40% bonus. There is obviously no guarantee that these will be repeated, and they may be targetted if they are, but it is worth bearing in mind - your points could be worth twice as much as you think.

e) Amex Preferred Rewards Gold charge card
There is a separate FT thread on this at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-relaunch.html which offers 20,000 Amex Membership Rewards for signing up. The fee is now 120 with 60 cashback if you apply via Quidco. You earn 1 MR point per 1, with 2 per 1 on foreign spend, travel spend and (year 1 only) grocery spend. This makes it the most generous BA card earning opportunity available if you a heavy travel and foreign spender, even better than the BA Amex. The Quidco link is here http://www.quidco.com/american-expre...-gold-card/?ac

f) Amex SPG credit card
Offers 10,000 Starwood SPG points for signing up, worth 10k Avios. Earnings rate is 1 point for 1. If you can get to 20k SPG points, either via the card or with SPG hotel spend, you get a 5k transfer bonus so 25k Avios for 20k SPG. Quidco cashback is sometimes available, currently 40 (http://www.quidco.com/american-expre...guest-card/?ac) - however the 75 fee is sometimes waived during promotional periods, and the opening bonus has been raised to 15,000 and 20,000 points at times. See the Amex UK website for any current deal.

It is also worth stressing, for newcomers to FT, the BMI Amex credit card. You get 20,000 BMI miles for the free card and 24,000 miles for the paid card. See the BMI forum for more details and also http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loya...edit-card.aspx. You can convert, from July 2012, these 20,000 BMI miles into 20,000 Avios - and as the card is fee-free, it will be the easiest 20,000 Avios you ever earned. You only need to spend 250 on the card to trigger the bonus.

Other Tesco offers worth knowing about:

Cash-back (exc VAT and delivery) on purchases from Tesco Wine, Tesco Entertainment, Tesco Jersey and other non-grocery Tesco sites (eg Tesco Direct, exc finance and insurance) can be earned by signing up for an account at www.quidco.com. It also gives 5 cashback on your first Grocery spend on any specific clubcard.

Whilst not related to Tesco, it is worth remembering that you can also get cashback on most of your travel bookings through www.quidco.com. Chains featured include Hilton (comes and goes), Marriott, Accor (often 16%), Premier Inn, Best Western, Intercontinental Group (often 10%), Ramada Jarvis, Britannia, Radisson, Q Hotels, Travelodge, Thistle, Guoman, Warner, Park Inn, Travelodge, Barcelo, and Jurys Doyle. Expedia and most of the portals also offer cashback through Quidco - Expedia and hotels.com occasionally pay up to 10% on hotel bookings. Airlines offering cashback include Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Swiss, FlyBE, KLM, Air France, SAS, Aer Lingus, Qatar, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Jet2, Emirates, Malaysia, Air New Zealand, Finnair and LOT. Hertz, Avis, Alamo and Budget offer cashback on car rental. These cashback offers do not affect your ability to collect points or miles for your trip. It is also worth a look at www.topcashback.com for similar offers.

If you discover any new Tesco offers, post them here.

Last edited by Raffles; May 22, 12 at 5:12 am Reason: Auto-convert section added, other revisions
Old Jan 2, 12, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
This is the 2012 Tesco thread. The mods will be along soon to lock the 2011 version! Thank you all for your continued support in keeping the board updated with the latest Tesco promotions.
Old Jan 2, 12, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
I was sitting on 56 of CC vouchers and used them last week to sign up for the auto-convert thing. I was sure that I read it properly and if I sign up before the end of Jan I'll get 1000 BA per 2.50? The miles have now arrived in my BAEC account at the normal 600 per 2.50 rate.

Or have I made a complete mess of it?

JAT
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:01 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The rules state that you get the bonus avios within 28 days
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by hingeless View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The rules state that you get the bonus avios within 28 days
Phew, thanks!

JAT
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:10 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by JAT74L View Post
I was sitting on 56 of CC vouchers and used them last week to sign up for the auto-convert thing. I was sure that I read it properly and if I sign up before the end of Jan I'll get 1000 BA per 2.50? The miles have now arrived in my BAEC account at the normal 600 per 2.50 rate.

JAT
Is that a forever and ever amen rate, or just a one off promotion?
Old Jan 2, 12, 10:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

A massive thanks to Raffles for picking this up again this year. The dashboard has been updated and the Tesco Clubcard widget now points to this thread.
Old Jan 2, 12, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
Is that a forever and ever amen rate, or just a one off promotion?
Also keen to clarify this; I found the T&Cs unclear ...

(PS thanks again to Raffles for providing and maintaining this thread, your efforts are much appreciated here ^)
Old Jan 2, 12, 10:30 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
The Tesco Clubcard Credit Card ....

You can apply via this link http://www.tescobank.com/personal/finance/creditcards/ but personally I would wait as there are regular promotions offering 1,000 bonus clubcard points for taking out the card.
Note there is an ongoing offer to refer friends to the card where by you BOTH earn 1,000 bonus clubcard points.

Leaflets about this are sent (almost continually) to people who already hold a Tesco credit card. [And I've not actually noticed any real regular signup bonuses other than this in recent years, although happy to be corrected.]

The referral setup is a bit unusual in that the person being referred applys directly first, then when they are accepted and have their cards you both put your details on the form and send it in.

Perhaps we could setup a list at the top of the thread of people willing to refer others? (As per the Amex referals) I'm more than happy to refer people and have a stack of forms if required!

However I would strongly suggest anyone looking for a referral does check with someone who is offering one BEFORE they apply - just to ensure that there is someone able to refer them with a form that is 'in date' - the forms do have expiry dates, but are otherwise identical, I seem to be getting enough to always have about 3 that are 'in date'. But check with who ever you want to partner up with, before applying.]

Last edited by David-A; Jan 2, 12 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
It is also worth stressing, for newcomers to FT, the BMI Amex credit card. You get 20,000 BMI miles for the free card and 24,000 miles for the paid card. See the BMI forum for more details and also http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/loya...edit-card.aspx.
Thanks for that!
A nice timely reminder, and some sound logic
I just signed up!
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:29 am
k3v

[QUOTE=JAT74L;17730675]I was sitting on 56 of CC vouchers and used them last week to sign up for the auto-convert thing. I was sure that I read it properly and if I sign up before the end of Jan I'll get 1000 BA per 2.50? The miles have now arrived in my BAEC account at the normal 600 per 2.50 rate.

JAT[/QUOTE
I've just looked on the Tesco website and it only shows 600. shame really as I would have signed up to auto-convert if there was an incentive.
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Will there be an Amex and BA 2012 master thread?
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by JAT74L View Post

JAT
I'm afraid you've made a mess of it.

That bonus runs from start of Feb, to end of March - exact dates can be found on Avios.com splash page.
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:59 am

Does anyone know when the next set of tesco vouchers are due? Have lost track. TIA.
Old Jan 2, 12, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by Kezza25 View Post
I'm afraid you've made a mess of it.

That bonus runs from start of Feb, to end of March - exact dates can be found on Avios.com splash page.
You are referring to a different promotion. The new auto-covert bonus runs thro' to 20 Jan '12.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: