Wiki Posts
Search

Australia on Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Elite, United Premier, AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Australia on Avios?

I was hoping to get some help on how to use my British Airway points to get my fiance and me a free trip from NY to Australia (Sydney or Melbourne). We have about 140k Avios (thank you cc!) and I couldn't seem to intuitively figure out the rewards system on the BA site. This would be for our honeymoon in April 2013 but starting early to see how many points we need to accumulate for the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Well, for one thing - it won't be free. For another - it won't be easy.
Your best bet is to fly via Pacific (JFK-LAX-SYD) on AA & QF for 62.5K in Y/per person one way or 125K RT. Thus you need another 110K BA Avios to fly you both RT in Y (double that in business). I don't even want to think about flying this distance in Y, much less on a honeymoon.
It would be even more (and a lot more money) flying via LHR.
Good news - Y is easier to get than J or F; also you can book this award 3 weeks before AAdvantage members can (350 vs 330 days out)
Good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Well, for one thing - it won't be free. For another - it won't be easy.
Your best bet is to fly via Pacific (JFK-LAX-SYD) on AA & QF for 62.5K in Y/per person one way or 125K RT. Thus you need another 110K BA Avios to fly you both RT in Y (double that in business). I don't even want to think about flying this distance in Y, much less on a honeymoon.
It would be even more (and a lot more money) flying via LHR.
Good news - Y is easier to get than J or F; also you can book this award 3 weeks before AAdvantage members can (350 vs 330 days out)
Good luck!
If the OP is able to get award seats on the direct QF flights (QF 107/108), the cost would be 50,000 Avios each way, per person, plus hefty fuel surcharges.

Or, for 120,000 Avios per person, one could book a oneworld award, and fly on AA/LA JFK-SCL-SYD-SCL-JFK -- with or without stops at MIA and/or AKL -- with no fuel surcharges whatsoever.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If the OP is able to get award seats on the direct QF flights (QF 107/108), the cost would be 50,000 Avios each way, per person, plus hefty fuel surcharges.

Or, for 120,000 Avios per person, one could book a oneworld award, and fly on AA/LA JFK-SCL-SYD-SCL-JFK -- with or without stops at MIA and/or AKL -- with no fuel surcharges whatsoever.
That sounds better.
QF 107/108 stop in LAX - I didn't realize it counts as a single segment rather than 2 segments (JFK-LAX and LAX-SYD).
That's strange because to fly from SFO to SYD (via LAX) - a much shorter distance - would be 54.5K (4.5K + 50K). I guess because they are 2 different flight numbers - 2 awards?
BTW - did I read somewhere that QF will not fly the LAX-JFK-LAX route in the future but leave it to AA?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Yes, a flight does not have to be nonstop to be direct. In fact, QF 107/108 even have a change of aircraft at LAX, but because the flight number remains the same, BA treats it as a single flight, and prices it accordingly for award-redemption purposes.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Elite, United Premier, AA Platinum, SPG Gold
Thanks!

I'm pretty interested in the one world option now that you mention it. 120K miles to travel will help me with the Fiji leg of the trip as well versus the 100K just to get to Australia from NYC. How does Oneworld work? My fiance has 140K in British, I have 90K in American and he has ~35K in American. Do we have to transfer all of these to Oneworld for booking? Or do you just call up Oneworld and they will deduct from your affiliated frequent flyer programs? Because I only have 90K in American does that mean I have to boost up my American account to cover my around the world trip and cannot rely on the fiance's 35K that he has in his account? Lastly, how early are you allowed to start booking these around the world awards? It seems like its 330 or 350 days in advance? I really appreciate all your help with answering my questions Paul and Guv!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.