Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Successful resolution of complaint to Amex about BA PP refused BA purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I wrote this letter of complaint to Amex and am posting it here in case anybody else has experienced a similar problem and wants inspiration for their letter.

Dear Sir,

On 27th October 2011 I tried to use my BA Amex card to purchase a British Airways return ticket from Dubai to Newcastle travelling outbound on Wednesday 2nd November 2011.

For some reason you determined that this was likely to be a fraudulent transaction and refused to allow the transaction to be completed. Although I had seen on BA.com that the transaction had not been completed I received notice of this suspected fraud from an e-mail you sent me, which I saw when I checked my e-mail account some hours later.

I was surprised that a purchase using a British Airways branded card should be refused when purchasing a British Airways ticket.

At the time of booking there were very few seats available for sale on any carrier between the middle east and London. I was travelling at short notice to attend my Grandmother’s funeral and due to the shortage of seats I felt it necessary to complete the purchase immediately. Accordingly in order to complete the transaction I was forced to use my Barclaycard instead of my BA Amex.

I believe that it is reasonable to expect my BA Amex to be available for use to purchase British Airways tickets at any time, irrespective of the point of origin or currency used.

You charge me GBP 150 per year for the BA Amex, and the ability to earn three (3) BA miles for every pound I spend is an advertised benefit. Your refusal to authorise the transaction has led directly to me losing a benefit that I have paid you for and would otherwise have enjoyed.

The total cost of the ticket was AED 14,770, which appeared on my Barclaycard statement as GBP 2,580.51.

Had I been able to use my BA Amex I would have earned 7,741 BA miles, three BA miles per pound spent.

But due to your failure to authorise the transaction these BA miles have not been credited to my BA Executive Club account. Accordingly I would be very grateful if you could please arrange for the said 7,741 miles to be credited to my BA Executive Club account.

Many thanks in advance.

Yours faithfully,

Sixth Freedom
They replied a few weeks later offering 5,000 miles, which I accepted, and the Avios landed in my BA account today.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Whilst, not Amex, I've had similar 'fraud' related refusals.
The point I nearly always have to make when calling these in to the "Enriched plutonium plus members' help desk" is that why don't they simply contact me, on the numbers I have provided for that express purpose.
I can very quickly and easily assert whether it is me, or indeed thank them personally for preventing a fraud.
Either way, if they are offering a personal service then they need to speak with the person they're offering it too.

Good CR by Amex here to offer some recovery.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Some sort of extra security layer 'SiteTM???' appeared when I tried to buy a ticket on my BA Amex today. I ignored it, and the payment went through OK.

I'll have to investigate further.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:02 pm
uk1
Suspended

It's a shame they aren't as good as MBNA with respect to suspected fraud. Only happened (thankfully) a couple of times - but each time within a minute or two of "completing" the rejected transaction they are on the phone checking with me so I can have another go and complete the transaction.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Sixth Freedom, well done for getting the Avios credited.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Some sort of extra security layer 'SiteTM???' appeared when I tried to buy a ticket on my BA Amex today. I ignored it, and the payment went through OK.

I'll have to investigate further.
It did the same to me. It asked for my 4-digit numeric code about which I have not a clue. What is that about?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Dennis the Menace Fan Club
Well done for getting some compo.

I once had Barclays bounce my monthly Barclaycard payment for suspected fraud (despite having made the same payment on the same day of the month for the past 15 years).

Later that month they processed a fraudulent payment for 200 Italian handbags without blinking.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Sixth Freedom, well done for getting the Avios credited.

It did the same to me. It asked for my 4-digit numeric code about which I have not a clue. What is that about?
SafeKey...they sent an email out about it a couple of days ago

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00d0faad94RCRD

Also from the FAQ "you can only bypass enrolment twice"
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PeeTee

Oh dear. After I read that, I tried to register and ended up blocking my card because I did not get my numeric passcode right. I had to call on international roaming. Annoying, but I have registered now.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by uk1
It's a shame they aren't as good as MBNA with respect to suspected fraud. Only happened (thankfully) a couple of times - but each time within a minute or two of "completing" the rejected transaction they are on the phone checking with me so I can have another go and complete the transaction.
Really? I get a text message the following day. Almost every month without fail I get a text asking me to confirm my monthy mobile phone bill to the same provider I've had on continuous credit card authority for several years. I'm assuming it's because it's an unsecured transaction as they are not allowed to store the CCV number for repeat transactions.

Last week I made an online purchase for gifts from an Australian website to be delivered in Australia. The online response after purchase was my transaction was being held and to please call, which I had to do 10 hrs later as they had shut in oz. I called and they said the bank had refused the transaction - perhaps because I had gone over my limit the implied tone came down the phone. I didn't have time to tell him I had an £XXXXX limit on the card and less than £200 was on it at the time and gave him another card to use.

The next morning I get text asking if I had made the transaction and of course the only options you have to respond are yes and no. They've yet to follow it up my non-action.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by PeeTee

Sounds like Amex has caught up with the Verified by Visa and SecureCode for Mastercard schemes.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:46 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I wrote this letter of complaint to Amex and am posting it here in case anybody else has experienced a similar problem and wants inspiration for their letter.

They replied a few weeks later offering 5,000 miles, which I accepted, and the Avios landed in my BA account today.

Could you not have called AMEX and advised them that you were making a genuine transaction at the time, to receive full Avios points?I know you had the issue with wanting to make sure you got a ticket (due to the circumstances at the time) but i'm sure a few extra minutes on the phone with them would have sorted it out.

Last edited by travelwithross; Dec 22, 2011 at 1:04 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:54 pm

I have had two attempted frauds on my BA Amex. In each case they were on the phone to me like a dose of salts. The last was on 14th December when someone put £1 to cancer research through, then when that worked they booked a first class train ticket. Amex rang me within 10 minutes, which was a PITA to be honest as it was the early hours in China! But one couldn't say they weren't hot off the mark.

The four Figure code will be the one they set up for you on your first call to them. Most people use the same one as their cash card

Not sure I would have accepted less than the proper miles to be honest if it were all their fault.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Chase has done the same with the BA Visa branded card buying BA tickets. And I also have seen where BA says they are redirecting me to "Verified by Visa", where you normally would enter bank login information, but it only flashes the screen and comes back and says transaction has gone through. They can't make up their mind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.