Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tour Report: BA Maintenance Centre, Cardiff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour Report: BA Maintenance Centre, Cardiff

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Prospero
I've been a totally jammy sod to have been gifted an opportunity to join BA's very best of the best and VIP customers (which includes Swanhunter) who share our obsession and who as it turned out are complete dafties of the 777 (which may not include Swanhunter) in what as been an adrenalin filled series of events.

This is the first in a round of several reports and as fabulous and insightful as this experience was, the highlight is yet to come. Stay tuned
An FT outing to Cardiff? Am I wishfully thinking too much?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:38 pm

Nice stuff Prosperous. Looking forward to the rest. It will outshine for sure. Very jealous and it is a shame I already had other firm plans and could not join.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:44 am

Thank for the report! Did anyone let slip how many days the PRIME refits are expected to take per aircraft once G-RAES has been recertified?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great report, looking forward to the rest. Hopefully once G-RAES is out and about BA will start with the G-ZZZ series aircraft.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Thanks for sharing, I too am very jealous. Looking forward to part 2
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by apeman85
Thank for the report! Did anyone let slip how many days the PRIME refits are expected to take per aircraft once G-RAES has been recertified?
Good question - is it 90 days like the first fit of New F onto the 744s?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
This gets my nomination for the best thread of 2011 (based on just the first post alone) - bar none. A fascinating insight.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:01 am

Eagerly awaiting the following reports.

Incredibly jealous.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Good question - is it 90 days like the first fit of New F onto the 744s?
Surely there wouldn't need to be any certification time? NF has already been fitted onto a number of 777s.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
Any sign of the second bit? We are all in suspense as to what the big surprise is
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer16
Any sign of the second bit? We are all in suspense as to what the big surprise is
Planned for the weekend. I've been busy.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I have been very lucky to visit BAMC too... And can only concur with what others have said... A truly amazing facility with wonderful staff and they do an amazing job keeping us safe in the skies.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA something, LH something, HHonors something, Sixt something
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting stuff.

To get a better grasp of the time involved for such a D check (24,618 h is a bit too abstract, i.e. huge, for me to comprehend), I calculated how long it would take one (theoretical) person to perform it. Working 40 h/week and taking no vacation, this amounts to nearly 12 yr. Very reassuring to know this work is so thorough!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC & others
Lovely report, thank you so much.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petemitchell
Thanks for posting this! Very interesting stuff.

To get a better grasp of the time involved for such a D check (24,618 h is a bit too abstract, i.e. huge, for me to comprehend), I calculated how long it would take one (theoretical) person to perform it. Working 40 h/week and taking no vacation, this amounts to nearly 12 yr. Very reassuring to know this work is so thorough!
The numbers are simply breathtaking. If we look closely at the "score board", a minimum of 728 hours are to be undertaken each day and on the 9th December, 942 hours were successfully cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.