Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tour Report: BA Maintenance Centre, Cardiff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour Report: BA Maintenance Centre, Cardiff

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part 2 will be up later this week. And it may, just outshine the very excellent report above.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC
Wouldn't it make more sense for CW on the 767s to be more in line with the rest of the mainline fleet? I find this to be a very odd decision.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for sharing, I'm rather jealous, love it when I'm dropping off/picking up there and the big birds are parked outside.

Looking forward to the second report.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Really excellent report ^

Originally Posted by wind-blownmind
Does anyone know if the D check always involves completely gutting the cabin like that or did it just happen to coincide with fitting the new interior this time? If they always do it, why do they (apparently) not take the opportunity to repair/replace/thoroughly scrub the interior?
The D-check above is a 747, and as such will presumably just be having New First fitted. Not sure how the timing works.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A D check involves taking the plane pretty much back to bare metal. All the seats, insulation gets taken out. Very odd to see lavs and Club seats sat on pallets in the hanger.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
Originally Posted by destere
Wouldn't it make more sense for CW on the 767s to be more in line with the rest of the mainline fleet? I find this to be a very odd decision.
The 767s are not compatible with NGCW.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A D check involves taking the plane pretty much back to bare metal. All the seats, insulation gets taken out. Very odd to see lavs and Club seats sat on pallets in the hanger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJy-DX-1c04
click on the link above to see what a 20 year D check carried out on an A300 looks like

Last edited by jimmybiscuit; Dec 12, 2011 at 9:44 am
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
the highlight is yet to come. Stay tuned
Exciting!!

A380 cabin mock-ups?

Chase Visa Support Group Meeting?

The re-siting of BA's Heathrow Concorde?

A Guided Tour of PUCCI's Retirement Villa?

New 767 interiors?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:16 pm

Very interesting - thank you ^
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flyer16
The 767s are not compatible with NGCW.
Obviously I do know this.

I meant that the refurbishment of the 767s NCW seats will bring them to be more in line with CWLC rather than NGCW. Surely it would make more sense to have it the other way round, with the whole mainline CW to be the same aesthetically. Seems odd.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Part 2 will be up later this week. And it may, just outshine the very excellent report above.
If it's what I think it is, yes it may well do just that.

And thank you Prospero for your great report
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I'm surprised that the 744 in for a D check wasn't having the Thales AVOD system and the new WT and WT+ cabins fitted, given that it is still relatively young. If they are upgrading some of the 772 fleet, then why not some of the 744s?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by oscietra
Exciting!!

A380 cabin mock-ups?

Chase Visa Support Group Meeting?

The re-siting of BA's Heathrow Concorde?

A Guided Tour of PUCCI's Retirement Villa?

New 767 interiors?
All I can say is I'm very glad I went to the Edinburgh doo and met a few wonderful FTr's (and Prosperos Phone for a sneak preview of a lot of the photos

Of course my lips are sealed.

Thanks for the report Prospero. ^^

Amazing what goes on behind the scenes in maintenance etc and can't wait for Part 2,3...........

Last edited by PETER01; Dec 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm Reason: comment/spelling!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What a great report Prospero! As others have said, I'm also envious that you had such an opportunity. If only it was possible for mere mortals to visit too!

I can't believe that the aircraft gets completely stripped back during a D check, quite fascinating. I'd have loved seen photos of the cabins, especially the upper deck in it's stripped out form. I guess that they have to be very careful to stick everything back together as it was!

Do the engineers work around the clock? Quite amazing stats on the number of hours required to complete the D check. Even if each person works a 12 hour day that still requires 55 individuals working on her each day!

Do they re-paint during a D check too?

Looking forward to the next bit.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Jammy s*ds, sounds like you had fun! Can't wait for part two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.