Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How do you pronounce 'Avios'? And what's its plural?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pronounce 'Avios'? And what's its plural?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
You don't happen to have a geographical number for that, do you?
For you, of course I do!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by NickB
Originally Posted by hsmall
just as public opinion has successfully resisted those tiresome people in Brussels when they told us that the plural of Euro was Euro
mmm... 'Brussels' has never told 'us' how to spell 'euro' in the plural. What 'Brussels' have done is to adopt rules for EU legal texts so as to ensure consistency in EU official publications. 'Brussels' has never told anybody how to spell Euro in the plural form generally , not even in official legal texts other than EU legal texts themselves.

But, hey, what let facts stand in the way of yet another uninformed Euro-myth?
Exactly. Some tiresome non-English speakers in Brussels misunderstanding the correct English rules of pluralisation and imposing it in legal texts in the name of totally unnecessary linguistic standardisation.

Pity some people leap to the defence of the EU right or wrong as if it were their religion
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:10 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver

In reality, I have been pronouncing it "adios" with a v.
I think that is right, that is certainly how it would be pronounced in Spanish. Clearly it comes from the Spanish word avión meaning aeroplane and the os is because British people generally think all Spanish words end in os

For singular nouns that end in os the plural is normally the same

e.g. cumpleaños, although avioses has a nice ring to it. Perhaps avios is already the plural of avio
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by henkybaby
What I find interesting is that nobody at BA knew it meant something. It actually means 'thingy' or whatsit' as you would use when you can't remember the name for something.
BA should have consulted the wisdom on this board before deciding the name.

But, hey, what let facts stand in the way of yet another uninformed Euro-myth?
I agree with NickB on this. Given that hsmall quite rightly rails against another form of prejudice, I was genuinely surprised at his euro rant.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by henkybaby
No, not at all. I expect a English person to pronounce the A as you would when saying the alphabet, not like this. I would also expect the accent to be on the A & vee almost equally. However, I am not surrounded by Britts every day so it is a non-educated guess.
Ahh, I thought you were saying "a" as in "a tree". You've got the "vee" right though

What I find interesting is that nobody at BA knew it meant something. It actually means 'thingy' or whatsit' as you would use when you can't remember the name for something.
I didn't like it until I read the above, but since I like the word "thingie" I like "Avios" now.

Maybe they did know and called it that, with a quiet giggle.

P.S. Brits, not Britts
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Ahh, I thought you were saying "a" as in "a tree". You've got the "vee" right though
Er, yes. To make it more clear I meant like when you say A in A, B, C, D etc. Not in the word alphabet. Your example is much more clear and a lot simpler.

P.S. Brits, not Britts
TTypo...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsmall
Pity some people leap to the defence of the EU right or wrong as if it were their religion
mmm. fair comment? I think not but if you really think you must say that, that is your choice.

Last edited by NickB; Dec 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by NickB
mmm. fair comment? I think not but if you really think you must say that, that is your choice.
Out of respect fo rthe mods we had better not take this further...

There is always OMNI/PR
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
My wife pronounces it as Abios.
I guess the pronunciation will depend if calling BA or IB.

Avios seems to be a rather illogical name choice for a British/Spanish FFP.
Quite different sounding in both languages.
From the "a" to the "v" vs "b" to the final "s".

If it were a British/Japanese they would have thrown a few L's in there just for the fun of it.
And a British/French would have ended with a couple of "R's" and "I" and "E" to confuse.

GBM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.