Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there any "easy" way to use the reward finder on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold

Hope someone can assist me. I am trying to get a general sense of what rewards flights are available, to where and when as well as the costs in terms of taxes and "miles/Avios?" I am an American flying out of Cleveland, Ohio and want to use my 165,000 miles for a trip somewhere but can't seem to get a grasp of what it will cost in terms of taxes and miles if I use a partner airline, such as American or LAN or Cathy Pacific. The agents on the phone are very friendly but frankly useless. The online system is pathetic, and not user friendly at all. It takes forever to keep hitting the back or forward 7 day button only to be told no seats available. Can anyone guide or direct me so I can figure out if I should simply abandon the 165K miles I saved, or try to get a handle on availability, cost etc. They miles are good until Dec 2013, so not in a hurry but it would be great to an idea.
p.s. My Continental/United account with 708,000 miles is easy to navigate and find seats with total miles required.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Search for each flight segment individually on ba.com. As a general rule, for flights on AA, if you can find "MileSAAver" reward flights on aa.com, you should be able to redeem Avios points for them -- although ba.com does not always accurately display partner award availability, especially if connecting flights are involved. If you have to call BAEC to book, "feed" them each individual flight that you want, rather than just say you want to go from Cleveland to Lima on such-and-such date.

Note that under the Avios redemption scheme, each individual flight segment is charged a certain number of Avios points based on distance and class of service, unless you book a multi-partner, distance-based "oneworld" award. No fuel surcharges are assessed on AA flights wholly with North America, or between North America and South America, or on LAN flights worldwide.

Good luck!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
Thanks Guv,
VERY helpful info..... Am I being a baby, or is the BA reward site tough to work with????
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by dornec
Thanks Guv,
VERY helpful info..... Am I being a baby, or is the BA reward site tough to work with????
There are other sites that are easier to work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.