Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Well done BA on last night's JFK - LGW service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well done BA on last night's JFK - LGW service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Im sure they wouldnt listen to me and im fairly certain that most on here are fed up of me going on about Gatters !

Just out of interest, what are the top destinations that people arrive at Gatwick and transfer to Heathrow to head on to ?

cs
My apologies but I'm afraid I have no idea. I'm not sure if we have that information to be honest.

But thanks for your loyal support of LGW, much appreciated.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
My apologies but I'm afraid I have no idea. I'm not sure if we have that information to be honest.

But thanks for your loyal support of LGW, much appreciated.
Fair play SRG, just a guess but a DFW and maybe a LAX would pretty much cover all the bases for onward connections within the US but hey ho !

cs
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I would love to see a JFK-LGW service. I tolerate the ordered chaos of LHR, but I miss the relatively tranquillity of LGW.
I think the major problem is slot allocation in NY. They'd have to find a pair from somewhere.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:48 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Perhaps AA could redeploy the 757 they are taking off the JFK MAN service and point it at LGW? Something would be better than nothing!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... just a guess but a DFW and maybe a LAX would pretty much cover all the bases for onward connections within the US ...
Maybe DFW and ORD.

JFK's been tried fairly recently, but IIRC not proved to be a great success.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Perhaps AA could redeploy the 757 they are taking off the JFK MAN service and point it at LGW? Something would be better than nothing!
AA seem to be sending 757s everywhere these days - and I gather from the AA Forum that there is a huge problem with Captains retiring leaving gaps in the service that are causing all sorts of cancellations.

Personally I would wish that the 757 that they used for ORY - IAD become LGW - EWR - there are more than enough services to JFK. Perfect opportunity for OpenSkies I would have thought.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
An Openskies 757 would be adorable - particularly if the fares matched the Openskies ones too - bring it on.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:12 am

Is it really too much to ask for a BA route out of Gatwick into one of the AA hubs to provide onward connections, its actually much easier for some of us to fly via Gatters compared to LHR
I suppose it all depends on how many people would fly out of LGW given the choice... how many flights have you taken this year from LHR, and how many from LGW?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Washington DC
I suppose it all depends on how many people would fly out of LGW given the choice... how many flights have you taken this year from LHR, and how many from LGW?
BA have little interest in replacing their own traffic from LHR to LGW.

Wouldn't the question from their point of view be - how many flights have you taken with other airlines (from LGW or LHR) that you would have taken with BA had the LGW-DFW/ORD/NYC/MIA/LAX flight existed?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict

Wouldn't the question from their point of view be - how many flights have you taken with other airlines (from LGW or LHR) that you would have taken with BA had the LGW-DFW/ORD/NYC/MIA/LAX flight existed?
Exactly, my last gatters flight this year was to JER which isn't served from LHR, have also done AMS as its easier for me, from LHR iv done SFO and in two weeks JFK but only as those aren't available from LGW.

cs
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Exactly, my last gatters flight this year was to JER which isn't served from LHR, have also done AMS as its easier for me, from LHR iv done SFO and in two weeks JFK but only as those aren't available from LGW.

cs
If we had a choice of LGW or LHR we would choose LGW just because of connection ease from JER and now the new BA area and fast track are set up we like LGW even more. All they need to do is sort the lounge out... it's good, but not close to the LHR offering. The BA ground staff at LGW are wonderful too! ^ Shame I can't say that about some of the CC I have had on recent flights though..
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Sorry but I can't see a return to traditional 'business' type routes from LGW. The only future expansion I can see down there is on bucket and spade type routes, maybe Vegas.

NYC has been tried before and it failed, when I travel to JFK (which isn't that often, ORD is more my route) my airline of choice is always BA/AA, I am booked on fully flex tickets so say a meeting ends early/late its easy to switch onto a later/earlier flight. A once daily service to LGW would be useless to me, despite living in Surrey.

For me LGW has become a pretty pointless airport in terms of BA for anything apart from holidays. Where I could once rely on flexible timetables they are now anything but, so I either use other other airlines or LHR.

I don't really understand people basing their choice of airports on the staff there. I check in online/smartphone, don't usually have a checked bag, go thru security, into the lounge and onto the plane, my dealings with staff are kept to a minimum.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:40 am

Absolutely, which is why I was interested in finding out how many flights Cornish Simon has taken this year from Gatwick (and any other alternate airports) to establish "the size of the prize" if BA put additional destination on in Gatwick.

So, Heathrow flights year to date: 1 - what about Gatwick, and then all others?

It's a game for all by the way, not just Cornish Simon!!! (but he would be a great example as someone who would put all traffic through Gatwick if possible, hence the question being directed at him initially!)
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:04 am

Absolutely, which is why I was interested in finding out how many flights Cornish Simon has taken this year from Gatwick (and any other alternate airports) to establish "the size of the prize" if BA put additional destination on in Gatwick.

So, Heathrow flights year to date: 1 - what about Gatwick, and then all others?

It's a game for all by the way, not just Cornish Simon!!! (but he would be a great example as someone who would put all traffic through Gatwick if possible, hence the question being directed at him initially!)
I'm a pointless prize but as I already said iv done AMS and JER this year from gatwick, but in my defense iv been sick for the last 3 months and been off work so no holidays for me in that time.

My desire for a better network for BA at gatwick stems from being able to connect on BE on a BA codeshare and thru ticket from NQY.

Which when you compare travel time by train and hex from cornwall to get to LHR you will see my point, I'll be honest, of BA served NQY ex LHR I wouldn't rave about gatwick anywhere near as much, but as they dont and as getting to heathrow is such a PITA from this part of the country I think I'll continue to wish for better routes from gatwick

cs
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1A-Asleep
NYC has been tried before and it failed, when I travel to JFK (which isn't that often, ORD is more my route) my airline of choice is always BA/AA.
Is it fair to say it tried and failed? Wasnt the recent LGW - JFK routing more a temporary measure from the start to keep a landing slot for when the LCY service was ready to launch (or something along those lines?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.