Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Miami to San Juan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Transfer Miami to San Juan

I'm flying to San Juan, Puerto Rico shortly on BA, with a connection in Miami (unfortunately the direct flight from LGW, which I would have preferred, just doesn't operate on the right days)

Now, I know that when connecting internationally in Miami you can get your bags to connect without having to clear them - the ITI or international-to-international transfer. Does anyone know whether flights to San Juan qualify for that as well? I'm never quite sure what the legal status of PR is.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
The MIA-SJU flight is a domestic flight. You will clear immigration/customs at MIA and won't have to undergo any formalities at SJU.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict

Now, I know that when connecting internationally in Miami you can get your bags to connect without having to clear them - the ITI or international-to-international transfer. Does anyone know whether flights to San Juan qualify for that as well? I'm never quite sure what the legal status of PR is.
SJU is domestic not international.
You will have to collect your bags and clear immigration & customs at MIA, then recheck them to SJU.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if you have liquids from duty free or other larger than 3 oz, be sure to put them in your bag before recheck after customs...you have to go thru domestic security to get the sju flight...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Hi

Not sure if you arrive at 1:30 or 6:30 pm. I hope it is the 1:30ish arrival from LHR.

You will arrive in either concourse E or F and clear immigration first and then customs on the lower floor.

Once you clear customs, there will be a baggage check after you exit customs. There is no way to miss that one

Then head back upstairs and you will have to go thru TSA ( yuck) screening once again hence careful with liquid sizes. ( Note you can put all your DFree liquids inside your bags once you get it from custom but BEFORE you drop it again for your next flight).

I hope they dont put you on a flight on concourse D. Long walk.

But if you have time to spare ,stop by La Carreta for authentic cuban food.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - it's domestic. I just got confused today when checking the Avis car rental site for SJU - and it kept finding a San Juan somewhere else - turned out it does think PR is a seperate country.

I get in on the BA207, scheduled arrival 14:25 with three hours to spare. Normally it takes me three hours to clear MIA immigration, but if by luck they let me through quicker I'll check out La Carreta.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I get in on the BA207, scheduled arrival 14:25 with three hours to spare. Normally it takes me three hours to clear MIA immigration, but if by luck they let me through quicker I'll check out La Carreta.
I recently arrived on the 209 at circa. 1830 (busier arrival time thab off the 207) and cleared Immigration in 20 minutes, including the walk from the aircraft. And that's the longest it's taken me in over 5 years. If you're in CW and one of the first off the aircraft, there's absolutely no way it would take 3 hours.

Even those in WT on my flight were through in less than 35 minutes.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:01 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, the coincidence was too great. I'm doing this tomorrow but on the evening landing, BA209. OLCI will allow me to check in to the LHR-MIA leg but not the onward leg to SJU. We are on two separate booking numbers for this flight; the other one booked in just fine. Is this a regular issue and will I be able to check in at LHR, what with it being on a codeshare? I'm concerned that I won't have time to check in at MIA (our transit time is approx 2hrs 45 mins).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Thdw
Sorry to hijack the thread, the coincidence was too great. I'm doing this tomorrow but on the evening landing, BA209. OLCI will allow me to check in to the LHR-MIA leg but not the onward leg to SJU. We are on two separate booking numbers for this flight; the other one booked in just fine. Is this a regular issue and will I be able to check in at LHR, what with it being on a codeshare? I'm concerned that I won't have time to check in at MIA (our transit time is approx 2hrs 45 mins).
Is your onward flight with AA (I imagine it is)? If so, the agent at LHR will be able to check your bags right through. Just ask when you drop them off.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:20 pm

Thanks Sunrisegirl, yes it is with AA. Will they be able to check me in for that leg and provide a boarding pass as well?

It seems so odd that one booking number was fine and could print the boarding passes for both legs. The other booking reference can print the LHR-MIA BP but provides a message for the SJU flight along the lines of "Sorry we are unable to offer you online check in for this flight on this occasion. To check in and receive your boarding pass, please contact the operating carrier at the airport."
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Thanks Sunrisegirl, yes it is with AA. Will they be able to check me in for that leg and provide a boarding pass as well?

It seems so odd that one booking number was fine and could print the boarding passes for both legs. The other booking reference can print the LHR-MIA BP but provides a message for the SJU flight along the lines of "Sorry we are unable to offer you online check in for this flight on this occasion. To check in and receive your boarding pass, please contact the operating carrier at the airport."

It sometimes goes that way, but I honestly couldn't say why. However, the agent at LHR should be able to sort it out and should be able to get your BP for the SJU sector. Occasionally it won't give the BP but will check you in.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:39 pm

Thank you - that is exactly what I had hoped you would say! I shall sleep easier now, or at least until the flights start going over in the morning...

Now to start worrying about what I may have forgotten to pack )
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Now to start worrying about what I may have forgotten to pack )
I do that too, but most times it's something minor that I can buy a replacement for.

Have a good trip.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I recently arrived on the 209 at circa. 1830 (busier arrival time thab off the 207) and cleared Immigration in 20 minutes, including the walk from the aircraft. And that's the longest it's taken me in over 5 years. If you're in CW and one of the first off the aircraft, there's absolutely no way it would take 3 hours.

Even those in WT on my flight were through in less than 35 minutes.
Alas, I'm not in CW - although sometimes in WTP on that configuration you're off the plane before anyone else....

But me and US immigration have a 'special relationship' which usually involves secondary questioning. In some airports (like DFW) that usually doesn't take very long - although still half an hour more than normal, but in Miami it has been 2-3 hours. I have avoided MIA over the past years, but sometimes it just can't be helped. It is one of the reasons I would have loved to take the LGW-SJU flight (the other reason would obviously have been to perhaps finally meet you ), but the days just don't work out.

Two years ago I went to SXM, I actually flew BA to Barbados, and went puddle jumping on LIAT to avoid MIA, and came back through ANU. Last year to SJO I fly out through DFW, but the schedule on the way back meant I had to go through MIA. Admittedly, and very surprisingly I was let through without the third degree, so I am hoping that will happen this time as well.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:21 pm
Suspended

But me and US immigration have a 'special relationship' which usually involves secondary questioning. In some airports (like DFW) that usually doesn't take very long - although still half an hour more than normal, but in Miami it has been 2-3 hours.

Ah yes, that would make a difference and I'm sorry you have to go through that.

I know there have been lots of comments about MIA immigration and in all honesty I've never understood it because my experience has been the opposite on all but one occasion when the officer was grumpy.

Sorry the LGW service didn't work out, but hopefully next time.

Here's hoping your wait isn't as bad as you expect. Have a good holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.