Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Miami to San Juan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Ah yes, that would make a difference and I'm sorry you have to go through that.

I know there have been lots of comments about MIA immigration and in all honesty I've never understood it because my experience has been the opposite on all but one occasion when the officer was grumpy.

Sorry the LGW service didn't work out, but hopefully next time.

Here's hoping your wait isn't as bad as you expect. Have a good holiday.
Thanks SRG - and it's actually work - although a conference that has been held in MTY, AUA, SXM, SJO and now SJU can't be that bad
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:05 am

Follow up...

As you advised, sunrisegirl, it was all sorted very efficiently by the lady at the club assistance desk. She told me there had been an error on my e-ticket. I'm now happily installed in the B terminal Galleries after a sneaky champagne in the South lounge. I've had a mini facial courtesy of the lovely Hannah and will now mostly be off to check out the gin selection in this otherwise deserted lounge. There was Tanquery Ten and Gordons in South, for those who've read the other thread...

Many thanks again for your reassurance (and as yet I've only forgotten my toothbrush, that I've noticed...)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having read all the foregoing posts, may I ask a slightly OT question? Well, I shall anyway!!

Hypothetical scenario is as follows:
  • BA is apparently dumping the LGW-MBJ route from next May.
  • Winter 2012 we may want to fly to MBJ, which appears to be best achieved using AA from MIA [other options appreciated ].
  • If we arrive at MIA, connecting onward to another International destination, is there any system for avoiding Immigration and all the other nausea by staying airside? Or are you inevitably 'mingled' with Domestic pax?
I doubt it works anyway, as I suspect flight timings would screw us.
I just have developed, from FT, a deep dread of ever flying into MIA as International pax
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Having read all the foregoing posts, may I ask a slightly OT question? Well, I shall anyway!!

Hypothetical scenario is as follows:
  • BA is apparently dumping the LGW-MBJ route from next May.
  • Winter 2012 we may want to fly to MBJ, which appears to be best achieved using AA from MIA [other options appreciated ].
  • If we arrive at MIA, connecting onward to another International destination, is there any system for avoiding Immigration and all the other nausea by staying airside? Or are you inevitably 'mingled' with Domestic pax?
I doubt it works anyway, as I suspect flight timings would screw us.
I just have developed, from FT, a deep dread of ever flying into MIA as International pax

MIA is meant to be an awful airport to connect through and apparently you still have to go through MIA as an arriving pax before your flight to MBJ... why not fly to Kingston and get a small plane transfer to MBJ- BA flights to KIN in CW are very cheap compared to other Caribbean routes and it will be much less hassle!

Also no having to go round to LHR from LGW!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    No. You don't have to deal with your bags, which (if you arrive on BA) you can now have through-checked to the onward international destination. But you still have to clear immigration, clear customs (with only your cabin baggage) and then return airside via security.
    Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:17 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
    No. You don't have to deal with your bags, which (if you arrive on BA) you can now have through-checked to the onward international destination. But you still have to clear immigration, clear customs (with only your cabin baggage) and then return airside via security.
    OK, thanks ^

I may look at another hub, albeit that it seems all AA's flights to MBJ pass through MIA. I think we'd need an airport night-stop anyway, and MIA is possibly not first choice on balance.

The schedules are a PITA, though, on first look. Much research to be done.
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:08 am
    Original Poster

T8191 - I hope that wasn't entirely on my account. I have a specific problem with US immigration, present at all airports, but strongly amplified at Miami because of the profile of the arriving international passengers.

If you normally have a trouble-free entry into the US, Miami shouldn't be too bad.
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:20 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
    But me and US immigration have a 'special relationship' which usually involves secondary questioning.
    Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
    I have a specific problem with US immigration, present at all airports, but strongly amplified at Miami because of the profile of the arriving international passengers.
    I don't want to be intrusive (and you may well know about this already), but is this something that might be improved through Redress?

I have a friend who was having exactly the same experience as you, which was particularly irritating for her because she owns a holiday home in the US and has a brother there who she like to visit from time to time. So she's over there rather more often than the usual leisure traveller. Since getting herself a Redress number, it's been a breeze for her every time.
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:24 am
    Original Poster

I don't want to be intrusive (and you may well know about this already), but is this something that might be improved through Redress?

I have a friend who was having exactly the same experience as you, which was particularly irritating for her because she owns a holiday home in the US and has a brother there who she like to visit from time to time. So she's over there rather more often than the usual leisure traveller. Since getting herself a Redress number, it's been a breeze for her every time.
    Thanks for the suggestion Globaliser. I have indeed gone through the Redress programme, added my redress number to my booking, and this will be the first time I will enter the US after doing this. I'm curious to see if it will make a difference.
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:38 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck!
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:58 am
    Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
    Originally Posted by mikey2124
    MIA is meant to be an awful airport to connect through and apparently you still have to go through MIA as an arriving pax before your flight to MBJ... why not fly to Kingston and get a small plane transfer to MBJ- BA flights to KIN in CW are very cheap compared to other Caribbean routes and it will be much less hassle!

Also no having to go round to LHR from LGW!
    I honestly don't get why people have such a problem with MIA - truly, truly I don't.

Every time I've arrived there I've cleared Immigration in less than 20 minutes. Sometimes I'm downstairs waiting for bags when the WT passengers are arriving at the carousel. It's never taken me longer than 45 minutes to clear the airport and be on the way to my rental car.

Apart from one occasion when the agent was grumpy, I found the officers at entry point to be friendly and courteous and ready for a chat/laugh. One time another passenger and I had a playful race to see who could clear through first and the officers joined in laughing the whole time.
    My last visit a few weeks ago, the agent told me I was very pretty

As for TSA on departure - NEVER had a problem. Again always courteous, friendly and up for a laugh. I often bring home a cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and this causes plenty of laughter about how it's their break time and sorry cheesecakes aren't allowed! We then have playful arguments and a joke. My last time coming through I spent 15 minutes or so just chatting socially with them (even after my items were cleared) as they were so nice.

Dare I suggest that perhaps some people go through with an attitude and this breeds an attitude in return. Because seriously I just don't get this animosity about Homeland Security/TSA agents at MIA.

The airport has a large number of employees from the Caribbean, Latin and South America and I do sometimes encounter attitude in some of the shops but never with the authorities.

But Mikey I'm afraid you're incorrect about needing to clear MIA as an arriving pax connecting to an international destination. You don't have to do that. Your bags can be tagged right through via an ITI tag and you can remain in transit. It's the only US airport which allows this.
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:45 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

But Mikey I'm afraid you're incorrect about needing to clear MIA as an arriving pax connecting to an international destination. You don't have to do that. Your bags can be tagged right through via an ITI tag and you can remain in transit.
    Are you sure? Is it no longer like this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17504481-post20.html

And I thought that DFW had introduced this as well, now.
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:52 am
    Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
    Are you sure? Is it no longer like this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17504481-post20.html

And I thought that DFW had introduced this as well, now.
    I was referring to Mikey's response to T8191 who's planning to go to MBJ where ITI tags can be used. SJU they can't.

When I put MIA as the only airport in the US I did wonder if any more were now doing it, so yes you could be right about DFW. However, I haven't seen anything about using ITI tags there. That said it's a LHR route so I wouldn't necessarily hear about it.
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:55 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was referring to Mikey's response to T8191 who's planning to go to MBJ where ITI tags can be used.
    Yes, I saw that.

But I thought that the process was that you still have to clear immigration and customs (with your cabin baggage) and then return airside via security, even though you can leave your checked baggage behind to be transferred automatically. Has that changed?
    Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:28 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to have generated some Thread deviation here! Ooops

We're notionally considering MBJ for Jan 2013 ... I understand that BA is dumping the direct LGW flights from May 2012. So, I spent a 'painful' couple of hours looking at "HOW DO WE GET THERE?" whilst using OW carriers [obviously]. The biggest challenge is simply body fatigue - we start with a connecting flight to UK, and without the direct BA from LGW we apparently need to pick up an AA from MIA. And it would be nice to arrive at MBJ at a decent time of day!! We've seen connections via BOS, DFW, MAD ... but all roads and connections lead to MIA anyway. And it's inevitably a 2-day journey, whichever way you cut it.

So the initial scratching on a sheet of A4 seems to be:
    Day 1:
    0855 JER-LGW 0945
    Taxi round M25
    1335 LHR-MIA 1745
    Nightstop at the Airport Hotel. ... so we'll have to enter the USA anyway. If the bag can go ITI, that's OK: we won't be 'dressing for dinner'
    Day 2:
    0930 MIA-MBJ 1105 [with AA]
    Courtesy Bus for 2 hours to hotel.

Phew ... You need a holiday after all that!!

We may have to revise our destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.