Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That's so much kinder and more 'civilised and discreet' than one cabin crew member (not on BA) that I witnessed who banged loudly on the loo door while literally shouting "one at a time please!!" when two people went in there together
Oh dear, I've been in hysterics for the past two minutes because of this...serves them right anyway

In 'Air Babylon', whether true or not, one particular scenario is mentioned where two passengers who couldn't resist headed to the toilet to do the dirty. Unfortunatley they managed to alert the crew via the call button in the process.

That book is certainly worth a read to everyone on here. BBB you should give it a go and report on what's actually true!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Ad-lib... The girl in the galley was too embarrassed to do it... But I had no qualms doing it.
BBB: I think you should write a work of fiction () in which you reveal all that goes on on board (airline name of choice) Airways. Just make sure you use a nom de plume. But make it one that we will recognize as you, like Billy Bob Baggins or something.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buonaseraroma
Something I have always wanted to ask - What is the story behind the framed pictures (of I think Chatham dockyard) that seems to be at the front of most BA aircraft. I once asked a crew member and they didn't know but there must be a reason why this image is so common so maybe someone knows.
The historic docks in Portsmouth are one of my passions, so i asked once and got the answer. Concorde's last livery design was called 'Chathm Dockyard' so I was told. I imagine CHD was picked as a name due to the number of Ships of the Line, the largest of navy vessels, and flagships that were built there including HMS Victory. A worthy subject to link to the nations flag carrying aircraft.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
On the gate the hydraulics are unpressurised so the rudder will turn in the direction of the wind if it's strong enough.
Thanks ^
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Throw the contents of the ice bucket over them...

Kidding.

I have only encountered that once, obviously I will not describe what was going on, but a low voice from just behind them on the aisle, "not onboard please..." was all it took.
Absolute Class!

I'd have been tempted by the ice bucket 'accident' myself.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Jordan D
T5 to T3 Long/Short and vice-versa?

Anything else that can be attached?
Unaccompanied minor tags, wheelchair tags, fragile tags, heavy bag stickers.
And at LGW we have circular yellow tags which we attach to bags checked in the night before.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Buonaseraroma
Something I have always wanted to ask - What is the story behind the framed pictures (of I think Chatham dockyard) that seems to be at the front of most BA aircraft. I once asked a crew member and they didn't know but there must be a reason why this image is so common so maybe someone knows.
Well, at one point BA decided with the help of an ad agency that it would be a great idea to paint the aircraft tails in designs from across the world.
We commissions artists from lots of other countries to design a number of different tail designs; we had a german one with a red, yellow and black design, a Dutch delf one, a Carabean one, a few others and one to represent the UK. It was supposed to look like a flag flying in the wind (Chatham dock).

Inside each aircraft was a description explaining what lay behind the design.

These were very unpopular and the only design that was liked was the Chatham Dock design and eventually all the tails were repainted with this design. The information that youvsee in a lot of our aircraft is just explaining the origin of the tail design.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Well, at one point BA decided with the help of an ad agency that it would be a great idea to paint the aircraft tails in designs from across the world.
We commissions artists from lots of other countries to design a number of different tail designs; we had a german one with a red, yellow and black design, a Dutch delf one, a Carabean one, a few others and one to represent the UK. It was supposed to look like a flag flying in the wind (Chatham dock).

Inside each aircraft was a description explaining what lay behind the design.

These were very unpopular and the only design that was liked was the Chatham Dock design and eventually all the tails were repainted with this design. The information that youvsee in a lot of our aircraft is just explaining the origin of the tail design.
A very informative post, thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

These were very unpopular ...
It was a bit more complex than that, both at the beginning and the end.

The original idea was not just for the aircraft fins. The artwork was used across a great deal of the corporate branding. For example, each baggage tag would have (in addition to the British Airways name and speedmarque) a small panel showing one of the artworks. Likewise, a lot of signs had a decorative panel.

The art came from all over the world, and much of it was chosen to be distinctively recognisable in origin. The idea was to show that although BA has British origins and a British base, it also welcomes the rest of the world, which should not see BA as wholly foreign or insular. That idea isn't a bad one, either commercially or socially.

However, the aircraft fins were most prominent and most controversial. They tended to give the fleet a motley appearance, when branding relies so much on uniformity. Of course, some people just didn't like the fact that the designs were foreign.

In addition, they also caused some operating problems - for example, air traffic control had difficulties when telling other airlines' crews to follow the Speedbird, because often they wouldn't recognise the aircraft as a BA. When one BA aircraft was leased to Qantas, it flew to LAX from time to time, where there was an incident because it was misidentified as a BA instead of a Qantas despite the Qantas markings on the fuselage - and the tail was hurriedly painted over in white almost immediately to prevent that recurring.

So there were a number of reasons for getting rid of the fins. Unfortunately, in my personal view, the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. The idea of using real art (not just corporate logo-making) in a high-profile and public way was, I think, a good one. There should have been no need to get rid of the artwork from other locations, even if the fins were standardised to one (British) design - Chatham Dockyard, which had appeared on the Concorde fins. But they went because they were irredeemably tarnished with the same brush, and irretrievably associated with the unpopular CEO who introduced the project.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It was a bit more complex than that, both at the beginning and the end.

The original idea was not just for the aircraft fins. The artwork was used across a great deal of the corporate branding. For example, each baggage tag would have (in addition to the British Airways name and speedmarque) a small panel showing one of the artworks. Likewise, a lot of signs had a decorative panel.

The art came from all over the world, and much of it was chosen to be distinctively recognisable in origin. The idea was to show that although BA has British origins and a British base, it also welcomes the rest of the
world, which should not see BA as wholly foreign or insular. That idea
isn't a bad one, either commercially or socially.

However, the aircraft fins were most prominent and most controversial. They tended to give the fleet a motley appearance, when branding relies so much on uniformity. Of course, some people just didn't like the fact that the designs were foreign.

In addition, they also caused some operating problems - for example, air traffic control had difficulties when telling other airlines' crews to follow the Speedbird, because often they wouldn't recognise the aircraft as a BA. When one BA aircraft was leased to Qantas, it flew to LAX from time to time, where there was an incident because it was misidentified as a BA instead of a Qantas despite the Qantas markings on the fuselage - and the tail was hurriedly painted over in white almost immediately to prevent that recurring.

So there were a number of reasons for getting rid of the fins. Unfortunately, in my personal view, the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. The idea of using real art (not just corporate logo-making) in a high-profile and public way was, I think, a good one. There should have been no need to get rid of the artwork from other locations, even if the fins were standardised to one (British) design - Chatham Dockyard, which had appeared on the Concord fins. But they went because they were irredeemably tarnished with the same brush, and irretrievably associated with the unpopular CEO who introduced the project.
Not much different to what I said then! I thought our poster was asking why we had Chatham dock in a frame, not for a history. I could have obviously gone into a huge amount of detail but thought maybe that would have been too much information for a simple question about a picture frame!

The designs were very unpopular and although the intention was to make us look like a global airline it never did, all the branding was bad and just made us look like we didn't have an identity anymore and I am very surprised that you personally think any of it was a good idea.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Nov 30, 2011 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not much different to what I said then! I thought our poster was asking why we had Chatham dock in a frame, not for a history. I could have obviously gone into a huge amount of detail but thought maybe that would have been too much information for a simple question about a picture frame!

The designs were very unpopular and although the intention was to make us look like a global airline it never did, all the branding was bad and just made us look like we didn't have an identity anymore and I am very surprised that you personally think any of it was a good idea.
Probably why I don't like the current Exec Club Card designs.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Probably why I don't like the current Exec Club Card designs.
Yes, I don't like the way they are all different now.

I would have kept the design the same for all and just altered the colours. Sometimes people like to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of it!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
So there were a number of reasons for getting rid of the fins. Unfortunately, in my personal view, the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. The idea of using real art (not just corporate logo-making) in a high-profile and public way was, I think, a good one. There should have been no need to get rid of the artwork from other locations, even if the fins were standardised to one (British) design - Chatham Dockyard, which had appeared on the Concorde fins. But they went because they were irredeemably tarnished with the same brush, and irretrievably associated with the unpopular CEO who introduced the project.
I actually liked the concept and, for the most part the implementation of the "World Images." If anyone's interested here's a few of the images:

http://tinyurl.com/CASBAWI

One thing I quite liked about the implementation was that at many airports where BA had dedicated check-in locations, the backdrop had magnetised panels where we could change the World Image being displayed.

Last edited by NonSmokingWindow; Nov 30, 2011 at 5:49 pm
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
They were not universally unpopular. They polarised opinion greatly, but there was a lot of BA's client base that were receptive to the idea. Although I know it's dangerous to rely on anecdote, my personal experience of non-British reactions is from Hong Kong and South Africa. In both places, Utopia was seen as an attempt by the company to say "We are not simply a British airline for British people, even though that is how we have traditionally appeared to you; we recognise who you are and we are here for you too". That's exactly what Utopia was intended to do, and if you talk to non-British passengers who remember that period, it did work for them in exactly that way. When individual people are making purchasing decisions, such warm fuzzies matter - just as they do on board when individual crew members interact with individual passengers.

In that context, I'm surprised that you seem to think that there was not an ounce of good in the idea whatsoever. Much opinion inside the company is tainted by the idea's association with the CEO who introduced it, whose unpopularity inside the company is less in doubt. My view is that it went too far; the fins were not a good idea, both in livery/branding terms and for operational reasons. The rest of it did not undermine overall branding because the fundamental common branding themes were there, as they still are - Mylius, the colour palette and the speedmarque; the accents didn't detract from that - plus, as well, there was real merit in using real art as part of high-profile corporate branding.

I know that this has been triggered by someone asking about the Chatham dockyard picture, but as your original reply demonstrated, other than at the most superficial level the answer that question is inextricably linked to a controversial period in the company's history.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:52 am

Unfortunately, in my personal view, the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. The idea of using real art (not just corporate logo-making) in a high-profile and public way was, I think, a good one. There should have been no need to get rid of the artwork from other locations, even if the fins were standardised to one (British) design - Chatham Dockyard, which had appeared on the Concorde fins. But they went because they were irredeemably tarnished with the same brush, and irretrievably associated with the unpopular CEO who introduced the project.
I agree. The idea was a good one. It portrayed BA as a confident international airline. BOAC liveries didn't use the national flag, and I think it is a mistake for a company trading internationally as BA does to identify itself so closely with the UK. It smaks of the bad old days of nationalisation.

BA's current logo (and the Chatham House design) look pretty dated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.