Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non BA Lounges in LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by MrHeckles
T5 is far from bleak. Even the other four terminals at LHR knock the spots off many of the capital city airports in Europe. Was at CDG and OLY for the first time in about a decade recently, and was shocked that they represented the arrival point in the capital city of a supposedly European powerhouse.
I have to say (what was) T2 is a little bleak at the mo due to not having walls or a roof ...

Sorry. couldn't resist
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dunk
I have to say (what was) T2 is a little bleak at the mo due to not having walls or a roof ...
T2A is now fairly advanced with walls and a roof! T2B (the part not currently connected to T1) is still a HUGE whole in the ground, though.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by T8191
But but but ... have you ever done it yourself?
I think I have, after running out of time to go to a lounge because I had been looking around the shops and eating at Itsu etc!

I'm sure T5 is survivable, but in all honesty it seems a little bit bleak [unless you like gazing at irrelevant shops, and getting in the way of other people].
I like the bit about getting in the way of other people. There are so many people just standing in the middle of the paths there.

Still, I find T5 less bleak than most airport terminals. I did not like it first time I arrived at T5, into what turned out to be T5B, and the 'shuttle' reminded me of STN (shudder!) - but I did not realise it was T5B until I became more familiar with T5.

It IS missing a Hermes duty free, however, and it should be rectified!

But I have warmed to it a lot and it is now my favourite terminal.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But but but ... have you ever done it yourself?
No...but from what I've seen it wouldn't bother me.

The lounge facilities are great but there's more to nosey at in the public areas.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by MrHeckles
T5 is far from bleak. Even the other four terminals at LHR knock the spots off many of the capital city airports in Europe. Was at CDG and OLY for the first time in about a decade recently, and was shocked that they represented the arrival point in the capital city of a supposedly European powerhouse.
[pedant]ORY, not OLY[/pedant]
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
[sniff]
I'm sure T5 is survivable, but in all honesty it seems a little bit bleak [unless you like gazing at irrelevant shops ...
Survivable, sure, like a dental check-up is survivable. And bleak.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
It's far from bleak with a wide variety of dining establishments and coffee shops.
Fine if you want to dine or drink coffee, otherwise it's bleak if survivable.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I like the bit about getting in the way of other people. There are so many people just standing in the middle of the paths there.
True. Probably confused by the poor signing and lack of natural light in most non-retail areas on the lower level.

It's a while since I used T5 without a lounge visit. I only had a few minutes before I had to get to the gate (after shopping) so dispensed with the lounge and found an empty gate and watched BBC News. OK for s few minutes but not ideal for a longer 'stay'.

[/sniff]
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Roger
it's bleak
Bleak?! Try the T1 Europier Connector, and then you'll know what bleak is!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
[sniff]
Survivable, sure, like a dental check-up is survivable. And bleak.Fine if you want to dine or drink coffee, otherwise it's bleak if survivable.True. Probably confused by the poor signing and lack of natural light in most non-retail areas on the lower level.
[/sniff]

Why do you think it's bleak? I'm curious.

To me it's so bright and airy with lovely views across the tarmac, you can see aircraft arriving and departing and there's lots of space. Bleak to me is somewhere dingy and dark with no natural light. Even away from the main retail area (by the domestic gates A1-8/9 and under the lounges to gate A21) you have good views outside

The shops aren't the greatest for me in T5 as they're too expensive (mainly) but it's always nice to browse.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Survivable, sure, like a dental check-up is survivable. A
One thing that is definitely bleak about LHR T5 is that they do not sell Bulgari skincare products anywhere, unlike at ZRH!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:31 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
To me it's so bright and airy with lovely views across the tarmac, you can see aircraft arriving and departing and there's lots of space. Bleak to me is somewhere dingy and dark with no natural light. Even away from the main retail area (by the domestic gates A1-8/9 and under the lounges to gate A21) you have good views outside
I think I once described to someone how it was nice that in T5 one can watch the sun rise over Heathrow.

I'm not sure they shared my appreciation of airport sunrises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.