Wiki Posts
Search

Why you should fly BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Why you should fly BA

I'm in my op-uped C seat in LHR T5, going to OSL. Sitting there happy in my own little world I suddenly hear the captain going 'OK better tell everyone what is going on' and next thing he announces that he has had his walk around the aircraft and he's not happy with some damage he has spotted - probably caused by a collision with a ground crew vehicle. Apparently the engineers have had a look as well and they are not happy either - so we have to change aircraft.

The captain goes on to explain that they are 'normally very resourceful' here at Heathrow and it should not take long to get us moved to another plane. He gives an ETA of 45-60 minutes.

Then the whole BA ground crew machinery goes into overdrive. Amazingly, they somehow find an aircraft they can use - in about 10 minutes. Then the ground crew come onboard, start unloading the catering - all done in a matter of minutes - they just wheel the carts out and onto their vehicle and zoom off to the other plane. Shortly after the baggage is moved - again this without any fuss.

Then 25 minutes after the announcement, we are told to collect our belongings and wander off to another gate to board the new aircraft. When at the gate I notice it's all prepped and ready - crew are not faffing about but know what to do and the computer systems seem to be coping well with the move. About 15 mins later we are given the all-clear and just board again - the seating is all the same. Status pax are given priority boarding.

Once we take off I realise they have moved everything across in record time, the whole operation - moving pax, baggage, crew and catering from one A319 to another took less than 50 minutes.

While this was going on the captain cleverly negotiated with flight control and the ground crew and constantly tried to get us a new slot - which he somehow did so we did not have to wait long on the ground to wait for the new assigned slot.

I am impressed and it's just reminded me of how good BA can be when things go wrong.

The captain could have said 'oh well what is the worst that could happen?' and just taken off, with the damage to the fuselage - I bet that would have happened on some carriers. I am very grateful that he took security so seriously - and impressed with the speed it took to change aircraft.

BA often costs more than the competition. But if you are travelling on business, they may leave you high and dry when something goes wrong. BA do not - they take care of you and really seem to care. To fly and to serve indeed.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I absloutley agree. It's simply a disgrace how some carriers, and not just LCCs, treat their passengers when things go wrong.

Obviously in this case it helped that the incident happended at BA's home base and there was a spare a/c but nevertheless impressive indeed.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:32 am

Here here...

When the ash could incident had happened, my grandparents were on an inbound flight to LHR when it got diverted to GLA. Upon landing, the CC brought out the drinks trolleys and started giving everyone whatever they had left 'out back' to keep people happy. After being held for 90min on the ground, they (somehow) were allowed to carry on to LHR. When booking their own travel, they now always fly BA.

Last month I had a horrific experience with another airline (not BA) flying to YYZ. Plane delayed by four hours due to technical problem and then had to stop over in Newfoundland for a crew change as they had gone out of hours (really?). And then the catering....lets leave that well alone. Rude Cabin Crew. Really really rude.

BA, I'm sorry I ever left you. Never will it happen again. I promise.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by BAAMEXPP

Last month I had a horrific experience with another airline (not BA) flying to YYZ. Plane delayed by four hours due to technical problem and then had to stop over in Newfoundland for a crew change as they had gone out of hours (really?). And then the catering....lets leave that well alone. Rude Cabin Crew. Really really rude.
I wonder which airline that could be? But to be fair if it is AC you are referring to they are a very good airline as far as safety is concerned plus a long haul from a foreign base tech problem is obviously going to be a bigger problem than for BA finding a replacement aircraft for a SH route from LHR. I imagine if it had happened in OSL it wouldn't have been resolved so quickly for obvious reasons. That being said I have always been treated well by BA in these type of situations and I do agree with the OP.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:53 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Too bad the value of their FF miles are about to go down the drain.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by cagalindo

Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by polar_b
Then the ground crew come onboard, start unloading the catering - all done in a matter of minutes - they just wheel the carts out and onto their vehicle and zoom off to the other plane. Shortly after the baggage is moved - again this without any fuss.

Doesnt take long to move a few trays of salad for CE and some crisps for Y !!

cs
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by cagalindo
Why?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by ale.penazzi
Why?
Probably s/he is based in America and is concerned they'll no longer be able to fly JFK > HKG with CX in First for 23 miles and US$1.50.

BAH
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Why?
... and whose?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Why?
There were so many bargains that all will be gone once it is BAEC...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:59 pm

I was similarly impressed a couple of years ago when it was anounced that the toilets were blocked on the 744 we were about to board at T5b going somewhere in North America.
Another plane was found, all bags and provisions moved over and we were boarding only an hour later! We were kept fully informed the whole time. I think that this was the point that BA had earnt my loyalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.