Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NA sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Just booked using this sale for YYZ-MUC in March 2012 in WT+ for $747 + $697(taxes) = CAD$1444 + 25K miles for the MFU both ways. Cheapest I've seen it in quite awhile and $400 less than the same itinerary for Dec that I booked earlier in September. MMB shows 190 TP's but I hope that increases to 220 TPS with the new table or does the increase not kick in for pre-Nov.16 bookings?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by duchessofberlin
I have tried to see if I can cancel but I guess once you MFU the tix becomes highly restricted and if I were to cancel I would only get taxes and surcharges back.
I'm not sure why an MFU should make the ticket less flexible. IIRC, you can't cancel the MFU on its own, but you can still cancel the entire MFUd ticket on its original cancellation penalties, getting back the miles used for upgrading as well as whatever money is due back to you from the original purchase under the original rules (so long as you're more than 24 hours from departure, of course).
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Very close to taking advantage of this deal but wanted to see if I am correct in my assessment of the cash I will pay and what I will use/earn in Avios. I will use the Chase BA card for the 10% discount, fly IAD-LHR-IAD 12/14-12/19, and upgrade from WT+ to Club both ways.

Am I correct in assuming that I will earn the first-level Multiplier bonus of 25K Avios for the current promotion running through the end of the year?

And am I also correct that in addition to the fare for the WT+ ticket (with the Chase 10% discount, around $1000), I will pay some increase in surcharges/fees/taxes (mostly reflecting the departure tax) for upgrading to Club both ways while having the 25K cost of the upgrade offset by the Multiplier bonus, thus earning around 12.5K additional Avios for the mileage, the 25% WT+ cabin bonus, and the 2.5 miles/dollar earned for charging the flight to my Chase BA card?

My research tells me that all of this is correct, but forgive me, with a lot of the general grousing that's been going on, this seems like a fantastic deal--which makes me think that one of my assumptions/calculations has to be wrong.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I too am looking for some guidance to see if I am reading/figuring this out correctly. I have never used MFU in the past so I don't quite know what I'm doing!

OK to book WT+ from ORD-LHR in March would cost me $2031.48 for 2 adults using the 10% off code ($2257.18 before the code). I would then have to call BA to have them manually upgrade this using 50000 miles total (or take the chance and wait til 11/16, when it would only be 40000 miles!).

So when I call to MFU, will there be additional charges? Reason being when I just try to "book with upgrade" my total comes out to 50000 miles + $2547.18 (and nowhere to enter the 10% off code), so I'm just wondering, why the price difference of $320?

If, as lwildernorva said above, there's add'l charges when you MFU, then that would explain the additional $$ I am being charged there.

Like I said, I've never MFU'd before, so any help on this would be appreciated.

Last edited by blase; Nov 5, 2011 at 1:50 pm
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
T is eligible for MFU. You may need to phone; ISTR similar glitches having been reported when sales have been on.
Are all WT+ fares eligible to be upgraded (provided there's room in the CW cabin that is?)
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by blase
I too am looking for some guidance to see if I am reading/figuring this out correctly. I have never used MFU in the past so I don't quite know what I'm doing!

OK to book WT+ from ORD-LHR in March would cost me $2031.48 for 2 adults using the 10% off code ($2257.18 before the code). I would then have to call BA to have them manually upgrade this using 50000 miles total (or take the chance and wait til 11/16, when it would only be 40000 miles!).

So when I call to MFU, will there be additional charges? Reason being when I just try to "book with upgrade" my total comes out to 50000 miles + $2547.18 (and nowhere to enter the 10% off code), so I'm just wondering, why the price difference of $320?

If, as lwildernorva said above, there's add'l charges when you MFU, then that would explain the additional $$ I am being charged there.

Like I said, I've never MFU'd before, so any help on this would be appreciated.
I think this is because of the fare type. It seems to me that when you do a search for WT+ tickets you can get them at a lower cost (probably a different fare type) compared to the ones that appear during the 'book and upgrade' process. I could be wrong but I think that might be it. Can someone more knowledgable confirm please? This really is another way of asking the question I posed in the subsequent post. Are all WT+ fares eligible for MFU?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by golfmad
Are all WT+ fares eligible to be upgraded?
AIUI, all published WT+ fares bought from BA at the published rate (ie without any discounts) should be eligible for MFU.

If you have applied a discount (eg shareholders), then other T&C may impose restrictions on MFU. Another problem is where the WT+ ticket has been bought via a POUG, which results in a ticket that's not at a published fare (and booked in an award booking class).
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Booked IAD to LHR 12/14-19. Used discount from Chase BA card to get WT+ for $942.69. In Manage My Booking, first attempted to upgrade to Club by using the upgrade link under the Passenger Details tab. Although the option for upgrading using BA miles was greyed out in this tab, I found a working link at the very bottom of the MMB page for "Change Booking" that also offered an upgrade with miles option. This link allowed me to upgrade for miles to LHR although there were apparently no seats available on the flight back to IAD on 12/19. 12.5K miles plus $85.

So, for $1027.69 and 12.5K miles, I got a flight that will earn 34180 miles (plus another 2569 for using the card) plus the CW lie-flat seat on the flight I most wanted so I can get some rest Wednesday night and have a useful first day in London. I can live with the WT+ seat on the day flight back with the happy thoughts that I'm going to come out of this flight up almost 25000 miles.

So, some things are not too good to be true. . .
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
That's great news !

Is there any way to check availability before booking ?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by coatieexpat
That's great news !

Is there any way to check availability before booking ?
Log in to your EC account. Click spending miles and then the check reward availability tab. See if there are any CW awards available on the dates you are looking at and you should be able to MFU from WT+ to CW when you book the paid WT+ ticket if there is CW availability showing on the flights you want.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Log in to your EC account. Click spending miles and then the check reward availability tab. See if there are any CW awards available on the dates you are looking at and you should be able to MFU from WT+ to CW when you book the paid WT+ ticket if there is CW availability showing on the flights you want.
That's how I handled it. I checked outbound only as that was the critical consideration for me since I wanted a lie-flat seat on the overnight flight. I had to come back on 12/19 so CW availability was not a dealbreaker for that flight, but it would have been nice to have it.

I'll happily use the 12.5K saved to upgrade another flight later.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Booked IAD to LHR 12/14-19. Used discount from Chase BA card to get WT+ for $942.69. In Manage My Booking, first attempted to upgrade to Club by using the upgrade link under the Passenger Details tab. Although the option for upgrading using BA miles was greyed out in this tab, I found a working link at the very bottom of the MMB page for "Change Booking" that also offered an upgrade with miles option. This link allowed me to upgrade for miles to LHR although there were apparently no seats available on the flight back to IAD on 12/19. 12.5K miles plus $85.

So, for $1027.69 and 12.5K miles, I got a flight that will earn 34180 miles (plus another 2569 for using the card) plus the CW lie-flat seat on the flight I most wanted so I can get some rest Wednesday night and have a useful first day in London. I can live with the WT+ seat on the day flight back with the happy thoughts that I'm going to come out of this flight up almost 25000 miles.

So, some things are not too good to be true. . .
What is the best way to use the BA miles to upgrade from WT+ to CW, but credit the miles earned from the flights to AA? Do you enter the BA or AA # when you book the itinerary?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
What is the best way to use the BA miles to upgrade from WT+ to CW, but credit the miles earned from the flights to AA? Do you enter the BA or AA # when you book the itinerary?
Will this work? -> Make a booking without logging in to your BAEC account, put your AA number, then log in to BAEC and access the reservation. The reservation should show the AA number but let you do MFU, right?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Nope, it let you MFU only if you put a BA exec number in..
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by ale.penazzi
Nope, it let you MFU only if you put a BA exec number in..
So do you book the itinerary after logging into your BAEC account then do the MFU using your BA miles then after the upgrade change the FF number change to AA to get credited on AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.