Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Connection time at LHR + Transfer LHR to LCY ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus

Sorry if this is elsewhere, but seach did not find.

I am looking at Business Club World flights from Phoenix to Madrid and return.

1. On the outbound, they have a connection on 1 hr. at Heathrow at 13:05. Is that enough for me and my bags. (I will likely stay at an airport hotel in MAD for a night - so guess bags could catch up to me.) Also, if I miss the LHR-MAD flight, will B.A. put me on the next one without a quarrel?

2. On return, there is a flight from MAD to LCY (City) that arrives at 09:05. The connection flys out of LHR at 14:35pm Is that enough time? What is best (and most reasonable) way to transfer from LCY to LHR? Do I need to collect bags, haul on the bus, and then re-check in LHR?

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Sorry if this is elsewhere, but seach did not find.

I am looking at Business Club World flights from Phoenix to Madrid and return.

1. On the outbound, they have a connection on 1 hr. at Heathrow at 13:05. Is that enough for me and my bags. (I will likely stay at an airport hotel in MAD for a night - so guess bags could catch up to me.) Also, if I miss the LHR-MAD flight, will B.A. put me on the next one without a quarrel?
If you are on the same ticket then they will put you on a later flight. It is always possible that you will make the short connection and you bags will follow on the next flight. This happened to me a few months ago.

2. On return, there is a flight from MAD to LCY (City) that arrives at 09:05. The connection flys out of LHR at 14:35pm Is that enough time? What is best (and most reasonable) way to transfer from LCY to LHR? Do I need to collect bags, haul on the bus, and then re-check in LHR?

Thanks for any help.
It is plenty of time and yes you will have to transfer yourself and your luggage. I don't think there is a bus though so it will be trains (DLR & Underground) or a taxi or a combination of the 2 depending on your budget.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:19 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Keep looking for award availability on either IB or BA for MAD-LHR Services

LCY to LHR surface unless by Mini-Cab is not a Good Idea.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Thanks for the info.
I am on a 2 for 1 voucher, so cannot use IB (as far as I know).

I think I may take the short connection on outbound and if missed, just stick around for the later flight (5 hr. layover at the Club). Then stay at a MAD airport hotel that night before heading on south of Spain vacation.

On return, probably fly in the afternoon before, get a hotel at LHR, and then catch the LHR-PHX flight next day.

Sound reasonable?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Sapman, I am guessing that Uncle dude does not live in London......

London city airport is in the East of the city. London Heathrow is way out to the west of the city. A taxi / mini cab could take up to two hours on a weekday, less at the week-end.... and will easily cost $100.

If you are not lugging lots of heavy luggage, then the docklands railway(connected to city airport) and underground is a good bet, and will cost around $10 (£7.20) You could do this in around 1.5 hours.... It is very easy to use. Have a look at "transport for london" website.

Your thoughts on arriving in London the day before travel back to Phoenix is sensible, and would enable you to drop in to London for a night out (easy to do!)......
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I would compare a transfer between LCY and LHR as a transfer from EWR to JFK. Expensive and time consuming my taxi. Extremely messy by public transport with various changes on the train - two changes as a minimum.

Taxis and public transport in London are extremely expensive by US standards !

There are no airport hotels attached to the MAD airport. There are free hotel shuttles or you can take a taxi - but then even a trip to the Hilton Madrid Airport will cost about $22 (one way), probably the same to many airport hotels.

You expect your bags to catch with you overnight? Good luck! Friend's experience for a missed BA connection at JFK-LHR-BCN took 3 days for the bags to catch up in BCN.

Last edited by KenJohn; Oct 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:41 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
In my experience baggage handling at MAD is also VERY slow
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
In my experience baggage handling at MAD is also VERY slow
Oh yes - its a 45 mins at the carousel on average. All the locals and frequent flyers try to travel hand luggage only!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Oh yes - its a 45 mins at the carousel on average. All the locals and frequent flyers try to travel hand luggage only!
.and the rest!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
What is best (and most reasonable) way to transfer from LCY to LHR?
Two public transport routes.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
  5. [*]
  6. [*]
  7. [*]
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
BA/Iberia flights leave quite often from LHR to MAD. The advantage of a BA flight is that you are in T5, however if you miss it they will likely put you onto an Iberia flight which is from T3 and your baggage has a good chance of going walkies too. Being on Iberia avoids you having to change terminals in Madrid, but then you would have to do that at Heathrow which is just as bad (if not worse).

Taking a Club Class trip and having to drag my luggage from LCY to LHR doesn't make much sense to me, the LCY trip is ok but nothing to write home about. If you are going to do it, then the tube is much cheaper and is often just as quick due to having to wait for the train at Paddington. There is usually an LHR flight at the same time as the LCY flight anyway, so why don't you just take that one, perhaps availability...

Where are you headed to in the South of Spain?

Last edited by globalste; Nov 1, 2011 at 9:02 am
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:00 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by globalste
I would take the 11:50 Iberia flight to Chicago, then change to the AA flight to Phoenix if I were you, it has a 2hr connection and Iberia Business Plus is argueably better than BA Club World.
The OP is on a 2-4-1 voucher, so IB is not an option.

bjorns
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bjorns
The OP is on a 2-4-1 voucher, so IB is not an option.

bjorns
Yes I edited, just not quick enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.