Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: end of euro elite thresholds

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, FB GOLD, HH DIA, SPG PLAT
Thumbs down BA changing requalification threshold mid-year

Dear,

my member year starts/expires on 08th March. Originally I was expecting, as it was announced that this year my "old" threshold from 800 points to GOLD will change to 1,500. However nothing changed in my account after the new year begun and I though (as it was last year already) BA would just give in another year with only 800 TPs to GOLD.
So I started to book flights and collecting TPs towards my goal: 800 TPs. Unfortunately just a couple of days ago, I discovered that now my accounts shows a 1,500 TP threshold for requalification - so they changed it within a running membersip year and I already invested into getting my 800 together (never would be willing to go for 1,500).
Did this happen to anybody else ? How is the legal situation ? I am currently consulting a lawyer.

Pat
Old May 17, 2015, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Best of luck with the lawyer, Sir. This change was announced 3 or more years ago, and has been discussed here on several threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hresholds.html
Old May 17, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, FB GOLD, HH DIA, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by T8191
Best of luck with the lawyer, Sir. This change was announced 3 or more years ago, and has been discussed here on several threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hresholds.html
This is not completely true - it was announced 3yrs ago and was then extended contrary to the first announcement.

But my account showed even the 800TP after 1st March 2015 - so it would be on BA to show why I should not be able to rely on what is shown in my account (as they already once extended the deadline and therefore would not be unusual).
Old May 17, 2015, 3:59 am

Is your lawyer providing his advice gratis?
Old May 17, 2015, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PatBateman23
This is not completely true - it was announced 3yrs ago and was then extended contrary to the first announcement.

But my account showed even the 800TP after 1st March 2015 - so it would be on BA to show why I should not be able to rely on what is shown in my account (as they already once extended the deadline and therefore would not be unusual).
You state in your 1st post that you were expecting it to be 1500, so why didn't you contact BA then to check ?

You booked flights for the purpose of getting places - TPs and Avios are just a byproduct of the purchases made

I cannot see that you would have any reason to expect an 800 TP renewal
Old May 17, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Before escalating this into a legal dispute, it's probably worth just asking BA to honour the old threshold. It's certainly worth writing to them to see.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: Meh
Seriously....a lawyer?
Old May 17, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by PatBateman23
? How is the legal situation ? I am currently consulting a lawyer.
If you're consulting a lawyer, you shouldn't need our advice.

Seriously though, I hope your lawyer is a friend or colleague advising you for free. It's BA's club, it's BA's ball and they can pick it up and go home for their tea whenever they like.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Following with interest. Same thing happened to me and also started to build my travel schedule accordingly, only to wake up disappointed on April 1st...
Old May 17, 2015, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There are multiple threads on this going on in this forum at the moment so I'd recommend the OP a search so that he can see how others are dealing with a similar situation. For what it's worth, my suggestion is that unless the OP had 800 TPs before the change appeared on his account and he was therefore confirmed as having "renewed Gold", I don't think he has a leg to stand on even as a gesture of good will.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by paul4040
It's BA's club, it's BA's ball and they can pick it up and go home for their tea whenever they like.
Only to a certain extent. Changes to what comes with a tier, are one thing. Moving the goal posts is quite another.

Was announced. Then was changed, then was in practice extended further. Fair to say that if BA keep comunicating to people the tier points needed, that the person can assume it is still being extended, and you can convincingly argue what is promised should be honored.

That said, it is very unfair that some people have been given years more extentions when others have not. In some cases, they are people who only just reach target, while others who sail over the target have it cut. (And I'm not talking about people who have changed tier level, I'm talking about tier consistent members.
Old May 17, 2015, 4:40 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
The same thing occurred to me between Feb and Apr this year. Was thinking of continuing with BA despite the 1500 TP limit not too difficult to reach, but luckily came into my senses after realizing how difficult it is to spend Avios for anything useful (a stingy availability of Club/First redemptions/upgrades). Aiming at AY Plat well before next Feb giving 4+4 SH +2 LH upgrades very useful for work travel in Y and plenty of AY points to spend as well. Biz/First leisure travel in style onboard Lufty hereafter.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by T8191
Hah! Do you think BA's lawyers will bring Flyertalk threads in as evidence.

I think BA will have to accept their IT shortcomings and allow yet another year of grace to at least the few affected people who will complain.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
So, my take on this.
The euro threshold elite status, which I also took advantage of, were to end February 8th 2014 which us 2 years since it was anounced. It was extended with another year to this year February.

My bad luck is that my year ends March 8th so yeah.. Too bad.

Initially my points needed showed at 800, this moved to 1500 in May I guess at the same time the new changes took effect. Will I get 1500? We will see as my company is also restricting travel this year.

Is it a shame to lose it, yes but it is the way it is.
I do not see any way a lawyer could change that.

Globalist
Old May 17, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Hah! Do you think BA's lawyers will bring Flyertalk threads in as evidence.

I think BA will have to accept their IT shortcomings and allow yet another year of grace to at least the few affected people who will complain.
Forgive the pessimism, but I very much doubt BA will ever accept their IT shortcomings.

They probably will indeed give yet another year of grace to the affected people, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.