Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When did CE catering get so bad?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

That offering makes the extended afternoon tea service seem positively welcome in comparison.
That REALLY would be a very remarkable achievement...
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Had the some ploughman's dinner last night on LHR-TLS.

Not too impressive. At least add some type of dessert.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
To be honest, I like the CE band 1 salad. I certainly expect a 'meal' of some description on a shorthaul business class flight so I don't have to call room service when I get to my destination. I do think Band 2 getting exactly the same is a bit poor and they should give the full tray, but it all comes down to £. We all know there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I agree that catering has got better up front lately. Shame about ET -but I'm hopeful that changes are on the horizon.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I had a chicken with hummus and some other spicy stuff meal that didn't look that great but was actually quite nice on a late afternoon MUC-LHR flight last month. That being said it didn't impress the passenger beside me who didn't know what it was.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Just come off the return AMS to LCY and it was much better. A fairly decent smoked salmon salad with a few salad leaves, potato slices and tomatoes accompanied by a couple of mini cakes. It even came with dressing, but it is a shame that the nicer dressings have been taken away these days and replaced with the ubiquitous balsamic vinegar dressing, I truly hate balsamic vinegar.

The outbound LHR-AMS was the first time I have done shorthaul from LHR for ages as LCY is much more convenient for me, however after several long delays in the thoroughly unpleasant LCY departures area, I thought I would give LHR a whirl again for a change.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:51 pm

From my experience (clearly excluding the gash Afternoon Tea) the meals are consistantly good on the longer CE flights. The CDG and AMS meals have not been great but i don't expect too much in the time available. FCO was brilliant in Easter.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:38 pm

I must say I disagree. I found the Ploughman's delicious when I had it from LHR to AMS a while ago - much better than the ordinary Band 1 CE salads.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
LHR-AMS CE used to have a shorter scheduled flight time than now, and a hot meal. I remember getting a small piece of good quality fillet steak, plus another course. If served last, the tray could arrive after starting the descent. But a small hot meal was possible. It was the 80's, in a Trident.
I compare this to my flights last week to NCL, a small packet of a pretzelly mix, even the kettle crisps are a fond memory. NCL used to be a hot meal too, bl**dy LCC competition has a lot to answr for.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by origin
Dont they have something like that in the US. But because its the US its double the size needed.
I've seen 'green salad' on a menu in various places including the UK but only as a side dish, not as a main.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
A notional 55 minute sector is usual around 40 minutes or even less. Personally I find it ridiculous, and a silly imposition on the CC.

For under 1 hour, IMO, BA should just provide a sandwich [or similar] and drinks. A full meal is just silly.
On Indian domestic sectors such as BOM-AMD, airlines such as 9W provide a full hot meal service in J & Y. The flight is also very short.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
The last time I flew long haul on BA was to Dubai in Club where I was served totally tasteless tough meat. Since then I have always preferred CX or even RJ on long haul flights.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had the CE breakfast LHR-AMS last month and that was much better than what I was expecting. The service was a bit on the slow side and I think the folks in Row 6 only got their food when we were 30 minutes out - probably a bit tough on the crew to serve on a short flight.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Did AMS - LHR in CE the end of last week. It was on a longhaul 767 and as I had changed my flight quite late on, I had no seat choice and was in a completely full CE "cabin" where half of the pax were in CW seats and I was in the back row of WT+

Anyway 48 CE pax on such a short flight meant that the service was very rushed and there was no choice of bread rolls when they finally reached me. The salad was OK, smoked salmon and potatoes on leaves from memory, but the lack of a decent roll and the UHT milk in my coffee which then curdled. leaving small floating white islands kind of took the shine off the service.

Couldn't read very easily as the main lights over our row were faulty and the reading lights didn't work at all. Couldn't watch the moving map as the video wasn't working.. not great overall..
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Do they flight crew ever slow the plane down to allow the service to be completed?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Do they flight crew ever slow the plane down to allow the service to be completed?
Not in my experience

I've seen the occasional JER/LGW where the CC have collected bottles/glasses after landing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.