Search

When did CE catering get so bad?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
When did CE catering get so bad?

I flew LHR to AMS on Friday evening and "dinner" consisted of a bowl containing some cheap ham (think Tesco value) 2 chunks of cheese and some ploughmans pickle and piccalilli. There wasn't even the pretence of a salad although in fairness the bowl did also contain 5 grapes.

I know that AMS is a short trip but I last did this journey ex LCY about 8 months ago and I distinctly remember getting a hot meal, rather than a DIY cheese and ham sandwich.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I flew LHR to AMS on Friday evening and "dinner" consisted of a bowl containing some cheap ham (think Tesco value) 2 chunks of cheese and some ploughmans pickle and piccalilli. There wasn't even the pretence of a salad although in fairness the bowl did also contain 5 grapes.

I know that AMS is a short trip but I last did this journey ex LCY about 8 months ago and I distinctly remember getting a hot meal, rather than a DIY cheese and ham sandwich.
That has been the offering from LHR for quite some time now.

And, if you think that is bad, it is an improvement over what was offered under the Gate Gourmet era...

Can't please everyone.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm surprised for such a short flight they offer anything on a plate. Maybe the are trying too hard? A few fancy finger sandwiches with a sprinkling of cress on top should be sufficient.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
And, if you think that is bad, it is an improvement over what was offered under the Gate Gourmet era...

Can't please everyone.
I shudder to think what that was then

It isn't like I was expecting caviar with all the trimmings but would it be THAT difficult to offer the LX/LH style cold plates for very short haul CE sectors? After all there is little else that distinguishes CE from ET these days.

That offering makes the extended afternoon tea service seem positively welcome in comparison.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:18 am

Even the old domestic evening salad would be nice. i would love the first class style sandwich selection- that surely would be easy enough to rustle up.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I got an eminently reasonable cajun chicken on rice on an LCY-FRA trip last month.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Ive done CE back from FAO & FRA last month - thought the food was good on both. Chicken Salad and a bacon and potato fitatta respectively.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
After all there is little else that distinguishes CE from ET these days.
At least you don't end up with a noisy packet of crisps or excessively sweet chocolate bars in CE
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
a bowl containing some cheap ham (think Tesco value)
You should count yourself lucky that you can get any ham at all. Here in Qatar no ham is available.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
You should count yourself lucky that you can get any ham at all. Here in Qatar no ham is available.
And not even ham or any 'additions' (chicken, salmon etc) in sight, aka "I copped a pure green salad", on a BA CE flight once. Not even any dressing. It was just green leaves. No tomatoes, nothing but green leaves. I was so hungry that I ate it with a bit of salt, but the lady in the same row as me did not touch hers at all.

I thought I was having a dream where I turned into a rabbit.

It was a few years ago but I still have not fully got over it.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
And not even ham or any 'additions' (chicken, salmon etc) in sight, aka "I copped a pure green salad", on a BA CE flight once. Not even any dressing. It was just green leaves. No tomatoes, nothing but green leaves. I was so hungry that I ate it with a bit of salt, but the lady in the same row as me did not touch hers at all.

I thought I was having a dream where I turned into a rabbit.

It was a few years ago but I still have not fully got over it.
You are lucky I cant even eat lettuce..
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by origin
You are lucky I cant even eat lettuce..
It didn't even have standard lettuce! It was just really bright green leaves, rockets, I think, from memory. I remember starting it for a while in a state of amazement and confusion, and wondered if they were going to put some chicken etc on top of it, then realised this was just not happening.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It didn't even have standard lettuce! It was just really bright green leaves, rockets, I think, from memory. I remember starting it for a while in a state of amazement and confusion, and wondered if they were going to put some chicken etc on top of it, then realised this was just not happening.
Dont they have something like that in the US. But because its the US its double the size needed.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR-AMS-LHR catering has always been pitiful, for as long as I can remember. A pitiful quantity of questionable quality, two-three bites and it's gone.

However, I would say that the recent offerings are an improvement on what GateGormless used to provide. It used to be a few sprigs of Florette salad, with a micro slice of ham/chicken/smoked salmon, at a cost of probably no more than 20p. No desert, no chocolate, just lettuce.

The meal now is actually improved. At least you got a few chunks of random food, chucked in a bowl. It sounds quite exotic, compared with the previous offering, and probably costs 10p more than the old meal. There is actually a decent mezze type salad that makes an appearance. Quite tasty, although a pitiful quantity, not enough to call a "meal". And no dessert or choccie.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I find it curious to see this complaint. JER/LGW in CE has always been 'fully fed' to the point that there's hardly any time to stuff the contents of the tray down your throat. A notional 55 minute sector is usual around 40 minutes or even less. Personally I find it ridiculous, and a silly imposition on the CC.

For under 1 hour, IMO, BA should just provide a sandwich [or similar] and drinks. A full meal is just silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.