Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First international flight alone...questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First international flight alone...questions!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I'd also pay to select seats in advance and take an aisle in rows 16 or 27 (26 if you don't mind the center section). These are exit rows and feature more legroom. More importantly, the tray tables are in the armrest so you won't be one of the unlucky ones to have someone spill under the armrest or raise it when you'd prefer a bit of a barrier. Like I said, I'd also try for day-of upgrades to WT+, since I've heard these sometimes go cheap (but check the proactive upgrade cost tracking thread for more details).
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMR1223
LOL! I live in Florida too! I would say maybe it's a Florida thing, but I've gotten that reaction from people all over the country. I think there are just a lot of people who are uncomfortable with the idea of going abroad (or on vacation in general) all by themselves. Everywhere you go, there you are.

I love living in Florida, it's a great place to come home to (who wouldn't want to wake up to the beach every morning???). It is so great to see other places though! Doing it on your own is definitely an amazing, mind-expanding, self-confidence boosting experience!

I can't say it enough, enjoy this experience! I hope it adds to your desire to travel!
LOL that is too funny! That is cool that you live in Florida too. I also love it here, but sometimes I wish we had all four seasons with a real winter. I'm happy I will get to experience a real winter for the month I will be gone.
And thank you for all your positivity regarding my trip! I am definitely going to enjoy this experience!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I'd also pay to select seats in advance and take an aisle in rows 16 or 27 (26 if you don't mind the center section). These are exit rows and feature more legroom. More importantly, the tray tables are in the armrest so you won't be one of the unlucky ones to have someone spill under the armrest or raise it when you'd prefer a bit of a barrier. Like I said, I'd also try for day-of upgrades to WT+, since I've heard these sometimes go cheap (but check the proactive upgrade cost tracking thread for more details).
I just checked and all of those seats are taken. Maybe I will get lucky and be offered a cheap upgrade.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
Originally Posted by pianogirl78
I just checked and all of those seats are taken. Maybe I will get lucky and be offered a cheap upgrade.
You seem to know an awful lot about flying for someone who has never flown internationally before
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuroHannibal
You seem to know an awful lot about flying for someone who has never flown internationally before
The internet and this forum has a plethora of information about flying internationally so naturally I have read, researched, and asked questions. As a result, I learn the process more. If you read my original post, I said I have never flown internationally alone, but I have with my family when I was younger. Thanks for the keen observation though! Have a great day!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I really must start a thread like this one day with the handle fatgeezer66 and see how many pages we get to then....

Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I really must start a thread like this one day with the handle fatgeezer66 and see how many pages we get to then....

Thank you for the advance warning.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Just remember, Florida, to be sure you pack some layers for the cooler weather and take a travel umbrella.

I always bring socks to wear with my flipflops and some long sleeved Hawaiian shirts.

LOL that is too funny! That is cool that you live in Florida too. I also love it here, but sometimes I wish we had all four seasons with a real winter. I'm happy I will get to experience a real winter for the month I will be gone.
And thank you for all your positivity regarding my trip! I am definitely going to enjoy this experience!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Oh, i live in Australia and 7 hours is considered a mere hop. Try doing SYD AKL LAX LHR.......OMG that flight is a killer, even in J.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know if the late night flights out of iad are normally filled to capacity? I am leaving on a friday night so I am guessing it will be a crowded flight? Also, what meals are normally served on the night flights?
I expect that the flight will be very busy as lots of people will be wanting to get back to the UK for the weekend.

Accordingly I would suggest paying to secure an aisle seat in advance as that will not break the bank or, failing that, being sure to check in online exactly 24 hours prior to departure.

You will get a full meal service. It should be quite acceptable although by no means gourmet. Interestingly, on this site I do not think that I have ever heard any complaints about the economy meals on BA.

Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikey2124
Hopefully one day if I qualify to be a pilot for BA after A Level's I will be working at LGW on the 777's flying to TPA/ANU/BGI etc so would never be short of sunshine then!
There is also plenty of sunshine on other BA routes, such as LOS and RUH. And on the nice summers day you can operate LHR-NCL several times and enjoy the sunshine there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.