Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First international flight alone...questions!

Old Oct 6, 11, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I am traveling to Germany in November for a month for a language program. I will first fly from IAD to LHR (BA0264). I purposely did a layover in London for a day so I can have a day to see London. The next morning I will fly to Frankfurt. I have not traveled overseas since I was 13, and that was with my family because my dad was in the air force. 20 years later, I am embarking on this european journey alone. I have been reading over the posts in the forums because as an inexperienced traveler, I don't know what to expect. My first question is has anyone flown BA0264 and what are your experiences? I booked my flight in economy, and round trip, it was less than a thousand dollars; however, after reading some posts in this forum, I don't know if I want to be quished in economy for 7 hours. I just for fun looked up my flight and selected that I wanted econonmy+. When I do that, I get the message, " world travler plus is not operated on this route. As an alternative, the displayed flight has availability in the Traveler (main economy) cabin." When I get the prices though, it is world traveler plus prices. Does anyone know what this mean? I would gladly pay the extra money, but only if the cabin truly exists on this flight. Can anyone provide any useful information? I am sorry this post is so long winded, but I know a lot of you are travel experts so any tips from you would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 6, 11, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 6, 11, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I have flown this flight once, and am pretty sure it is a Boeing 777 I travelled on. You can check this using your booking number on ba.com. If it is, they should have WT+ seats. It is certainly worth the upgrade! I will never fly longhaul economy again after a recent experience
Old Oct 6, 11, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
welcome to flyertalk.

wt+ operates on all aircraft/routes serving LHR & LGW from the USA, however part of the route only has Y & J and thats your shorthaul connection into Germany

if you go to the manage my booking section on ba.com you should have an option to upgrade your class of service?

cs
Old Oct 6, 11, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Welcome Pianogirl.

I think you will be fine anywhere you are. It is your attitude that counts. You should be very excited to embark on this journey.

Most of the people on this forum travel quite a bit and are older than you, therefor they need the comfort. You on the other hand, are young and looking forward to new things. So don't fret it and go and enjoy your flight. You might meet someone real nice sitting next to you, who knows.

The moral is: DO NOT WORRY, you will be just fine.
Old Oct 6, 11, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pianogirl78 View Post
I just for fun looked up my flight and selected that I wanted econonmy+. When I do that, I get the message, " world travler plus is not operated on this route. As an alternative, the displayed flight has availability in the Traveler (main economy) cabin." When I get the prices though, it is world traveler plus prices. Does anyone know what this mean? I would gladly pay the extra money, but only if the cabin truly exists on this flight.
I think that if you look closely at the pricing screen, you will see that the message that you see only relates to the LHR-FRA flights, and not to the IAD-LHR flights.

It may be clearer if you compare these to the same messages for the return half of the trip.

Please don't worry about economy. It's not luxurious, but it's perfectly survivable. There's lots of people here who've become spoiled by being able to travel in first and business class all the time, and others (like me) who've also become spoiled by World Traveller Plus. Obviously, it's nicer if you get more space or a more comfortable seat. But the majority of BA's passengers fly in economy, and it's perfectly fine.
Old Oct 6, 11, 11:23 am
Original Poster

thanks

Thank you all for the welcome and the valuable advice. And yep, I double checked and wt+ is available on my flight, just not the short hauls. Also, thanks to Globaliser and Yahillwe. Both of your advice has convinced me to just stick with my economy ticket. The flight will be only temporary. This long trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, so I am going to enjoy every moment of it. I really do hope to have someone nice to sit next to on the plane. I love meeting new people and it would be nice to have someone to talk to.
Old Oct 6, 11, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
^, good choice. You will definitely find someone who will lend you an ear if not be very happy for you. As you grow and make money and can afford the other classes, you'll find that those pax usually tend to themselves and are very jaded. Happy flying and nothing to fear, put this experience into your life experiences notebook...

Have a wonderful year with lots of explorations and new experiences. And if you need advise on inter-europe flying, then come on back and I am sure everyone will help you out.

I remember a poster by the screen name olyboy or something of that sort who wanted to do a fly around the world in Y, almost everyone told him not to in Y. Guess what, he went ahead and it was an incredible experience for him....
Old Oct 6, 11, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by pianogirl78 View Post
I really do hope to have someone nice to sit next to on the plane. I love meeting new people and it would be nice to have someone to talk to.
You'll enjoy it.

I've found that people are more chatty in economy.
Old Oct 6, 11, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
You'll enjoy it.

... and more squashed!

But BA World Traveller is very good and there is no reason not to look forward to the flight. Maybe look forward to a higher class on a future occasion - then you will probably enjoy it more.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 6, 11, 1:05 pm

Programs: Several dozen
I'm tall and not necessarily squashed in economy. Just go for an aisle seat and put all your bags up top (with zippers locked) to leave your feet clear. You will want to get up and move around a bit on the long flight. Have a great trip!

Originally Posted by Fruitcake View Post
... and more squashed!
Old Oct 6, 11, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Have a great trip and enjoy Germany! I am sure you will, it is a wonderful place. I'm sure we would all love to hear about your experience, both with BA and your programme
Old Oct 6, 11, 1:19 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
You'll enjoy it.

You obviously haven't sat next to me I'm a right grumpy git. Although some scouser wore me down once on an EK flight so I just gave up and got drunk with him.
Old Oct 6, 11, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC, QF.
Originally Posted by Yahillwe View Post
^, good choice. You will definitely find someone who will lend you an ear if not be very happy for you. As you grow and make money and can afford the other classes, you'll find that those pax usually tend to themselves and are very jaded. Happy flying and nothing to fear, put this experience into your life experiences notebook...

Have a wonderful year with lots of explorations and new experiences. And if you need advise on inter-europe flying, then come on back and I am sure everyone will help you out.
What a wonderful, optimistic post! Great advice for a young traveller.

If I may add a few tips for long flights . . . a packet of moist hand wipes/face wipes can be really handy. And set your watch to the time of your destination as soon as you get on board. Helps you adjust to new time zones. (slightly).

Have a great time!
Old Oct 6, 11, 1:32 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Hi, pianogirl78! Welcome to FT!

I think you'll be fine in Y, it's really not that long of a flight to LHR. I wanted to add how great I think it is you're doing this trip alone! Your first international solo trip is an amazing experience! Keep your wits about you, but don't be afraid to try new things! Go to that restaurant even though you're by yourself, ride the metro, venture out, push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Safe travels! I'm excited for you!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: