Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Help please!

We have flights booked today with AA international using BA miles and I woke up with the stomach flu and we cannot go. So, we need to cancel..will our miles go back in our account? Can't call BA until 730am
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by skymutt
We have flights booked today with AA international using BA miles and I woke up with the stomach flu and we cannot go. So, we need to cancel..will our miles go back in our account? Can't call BA until 730am
Sadly I believe you can not cancel miles redemptions 24 pre travel. Your travel insurance may well be your best option.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I flew back from Cairo once with a violent stomach bug. It wasn't the most pleasant flight of my life, frankly, but I made it. I wouldn't cancel a holiday for something that you will have recovered from within 24 hours.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:12 am

Agree with Raffles - in my case, I got sick just after arrival at the airport for departure to MCO. To be honest, I don't remember much of the flight as if I wasn't in the loo, I was practically comotose in my seat.

(Stock up on immodium if you feel you have to and have the sick bags handy for descent as that's when I had to use one!)
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
I flew back from Cairo once with a violent stomach bug. It wasn't the most pleasant flight of my life, frankly, but I made it. I wouldn't cancel a holiday for something that you will have recovered from within 24 hours.
Out of interest, if the OP turned up at the airport but AA refused them boarding due to them being ill, would they have a different claim on getting the miles back or is it the same as not turning up?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Can they and do they have the right to turn you away?

Am with Raffles, just fly.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Can they and do they have the right to turn you away?
Yes. And other passengers may have cause to be grateful to an airline when it does so.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
@ Globaliser I would be grateful as well. But didn't know that they had the right to turn one away if one has a cold/stomach flu etc.

Would they lose their tickets?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC - Blue :-(
Can't help with the OP's question but I would certainly not recommend travelling if you have stomach flu. I spent half of a flight from BKK to LHR with it (thanks to my 2 year old nephew) and it was probably the most miserable 6 hours of my life. Unfortunately I didn't know I was ill until about 5 hours into the flight - I would have stayed in BKK if I did.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I would be grateful as well. But didn't know that they had the right to turn one away if one has a cold/stomach flu etc.

Would they lose their tickets?
The General Conditions of Carriage include the following, although there is no express provision for refunds in these circumstances:
5d3) We may decide not to carry:
  • unaccompanied children
  • pregnant women or
  • passengers who are ill.
if arrangements to carry them have not been made before check in.

7a) Our right to refuse to carry you
We may decide to refuse to carry you or your baggage if one or more of the following has happened or we reasonably believe may happen.
7a1) If carrying you or your baggage may put the safety of the aircraft or the safety or health of any person in the aircraft in danger.
7a2) If carrying you or your baggage may affect the comfort of any person in the aircraft.
7a11) If you have put the safety of either the aircraft or any person in it in danger.
7a37) If you have refused or failed to undergo health screening or a health examination requested by us or by a government or enforcement agency.
Obviously, these provisions are only likely to be relevant if the airline has some reason to think that you are significantly ill. I once flew from SYD to LHR when suffering from the flu (not stomach flu). I'd become ill the previous afternoon, but a doctor had told me on the morning of the flight that he thought I was fit to fly. And clearly, I passed muster at check-in, at the gate and through the flight. But it was an uncomfortable 24 hours of travel and I got very little sleep. When I got home, I took myself off to bed. A week later, when I was finally well enough to get up properly, I discovered that my suitcase was still sitting by the front door, with my jacket draped over the handle.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I discovered that my suitcase was still sitting by the front door, with my jacket draped over the handle.
You must live in a very safe neighborhood.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:48 am

A few days before my daughter was going to return to her university in Paris, she had contracted Chicken Pox (likely on her flight over) about a week before. We called BA and asked if we could change her return to a later date.

No doing! Change fees galore and price difference in fares ~ a costly affair.

I though about this for an hour or so and then called them back. I said that though she had been officially dx'd with the disease, had a doc's certificate, the itching was gone, no more blisters breaking out, no fever and she actually felt fine. So, she would check-in as scheduled. ..... Then I added ~: there is of course no guarantee, on the contrary, that she was non-contagious at that point. If BA doesn't mind exposing other pax to the virus and let her board, so much the better for us as it would save a bundle.

This was met with a long silence and I was put on hold for quite some time. Finally a person "of position" came on and said: we can reschedule her return for next week. I thanked them very much and complimented them on a very wise decision....
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about passengers with TB?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
They are liable to be refused entry into many countries, so may well be denied travel on that ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.