Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is £1.4k in WTP to SYD a good price ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
£1.4k is a good price indeed. I'm looking at New York for November and it's £1k in WTP - and that's more than 21 days out!
Next fare sale is probably around 27th October if that works for you (if last year is anything to go by) Probably a 21 day advanced purchase job

Originally Posted by malkie
Got a wedding next June in Australia - very exciting.

There is no way I can justify spending cash on business flights, and I know there are no MFU opportunities.

I'm looking at WTP (or PE on Qantas), and on BA.com today I'm seeing £1.4k returns on my travel dates (and even £1.2k on other dates). Down from £2.1k a few days back.

I'm not completely versed in what's a good price out to SYD, but it looks like a good price with WTP currently coming up at £1.5k to BKK and £1.6k to SIN.

I'm always one to book when I see it, rather than wait for a sale that might not come, or not cover the dates I want.

I was thinking of doing it all on QF metal (A380) if possible, while earning BA miles/TP.

Am I going to hate WTP/PE over such a distance ?
£1400 is a great price - recent sale fare prices are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11453387-post2.html

Can anyone check the fare rules - is this one of those quicky sales? (for the OP will it disappear soon?)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
£1.4k of my own money for a BA WTP seat? I don't think I'd pay it. OK, some might think it's a good rate compared with what is sometimes charged, but I'd sit there for the whole flight pissed I wasn't in J or F.

I think I'd rather save the dosh and sit in Y (which I have done to Oz before now), but pay for an emergency exit row (or at least the best seat possible). And spend the money saved on myself when I got to Oz instead. After all, it is only 24 hrs...
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Lastly - is there any mechanism for seat selection ahead of time ? There's no paid seat selection button on MMB as I've seen with previous bookings. Can I do it via Qantas's own site ? Or am I at the mercy of OLCI ?
Have you put your BAEC numbers into the booking? If so, try this: log into BAEC and look at your list of bookings. You may see two bookings for departure on the same date. Look at the one that quotes the QF flight number, and note the booking reference. Take that booking reference to the QF website, and see if you can pick your seats there.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Simple stuff - I just entered the booking ref from BA onto the Qantas website and used their MMB to select my seats. Without issue I've bagged 38J/K on both legs - the UD exit row PE seats right at the back.

Seat selection for free at time of booking ?????? BA should take note
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simple stuff - I just entered the booking ref from BA onto the Qantas website and used their MMB to select my seats. Without issue I've bagged 38J/K on both legs - the UD exit row PE seats right at the back.

Seat selection for free at time of booking ?????? BA should take note
Check that using the locator (reference) which shows the QF flight number. It's been reported that if you use the locator which shows the BA flight number, the QF website can sometimes pretend to accept the seat request but you later find that the request has never been made.

Alternatively, if you have access, check the seat allocation using EF or similar and using the operating flight number.

I have been frequently disadvantaged by the QF free-for-all. Despite being BA Gold or Silver at various times, it's more often than not been the case that so many others have had seats pre-allocated that I have no choice and have to accept whatever QF has left. So I, for one, hope that BA does not take note.

But if you get 38JK, you'll enjoy them.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I will double check that.

As in infrequent flyer I don't have an EF account - I might ask someone to look, but after I double check.

My "BA take note" comment was very very tongue in cheek given the feedback on this board from BA's paying free for all!

To be honest I'm against this policy, even if it benefits me, as I think it potentially harms the business and annoys the frequent flyer who brings them money.

edit

checkmytrip.com shows the correct allocated seats - is that accurate or not ?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
checkmytrip.com shows the correct allocated seats - is that accurate or not ?
It does, IME.

What does your booking in ba.com show?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:09 am
pfd

I've been looking at WTP to BKK and SIN for next spring. Funny that SYD is £100 cheaper than either?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just incase anyone is interested, this can be booked at 14 days notice - showing available for the end of October and you need to stay a Saturday night!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Cathay - Diamond
take a look at Finnair biz class prices they get you to HKG then with CX to OZ for almost the same money
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just incase anyone is interested, this can be booked at 14 days notice - showing available for the end of October and you need to stay a Saturday night!
And the fare is particularly low for travel before the end of November.

But don't dawdle, because tickets must be issued by 12 October.

Base fares:
  • £826.00 for outbound travel from 18/10/11 to 30/11/11
  • £916.00 for outbound travel from 01/12/11 to 13/12/11
  • £916.00 for outbound travel from 16/01/12 to 31/01/12
  • £868.00 for outbound travel from 01/02/12 to 24/03/12
  • £985.00 for outbound travel from 25/03/12 to 15/04/12 (I think)
  • £889.00 for outbound travel from 16/04/12 to 20/06/12
  • £985.00 for outbound travel from 21/06/12 to 30/06/12
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bendachentaiwan
take a look at Finnair biz class prices they get you to HKG then with CX to OZ for almost the same money
For £1,400 per person round-trip in business?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
For £1,400 per person round-trip in business?
I am sceptical and would like to see that too.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
I am sceptical and would like to see that too.
There was a fare with AY for IIRC £1800 a while back. There was something you could do whereby if you open jawed from MAN and back to LHR it cut a couple of hundred off the price.

Right now however they're asking for £3200...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:43 am
Original Poster

I'm seeing Finnair just around the £3k pp on or around my dates.

I'm in a state of confusion now - as suggested above I've got two PNRs - one apparently from BA, and other other from QF.

Originally I selected seats using the BA code (on the QF website), and it appears on checkmytrip as having allocated the seats.

However if I use the QF code on their website it doesn't show as seats allocated.

I telephoned QF in the UK and although they said that they couldn't see the seat allocation on their system it would be ok as the airport would see the correct seat booking. (To be honest the telephone operator didn't fill me with confidence).

Should I unselect the seats using the BA code, then reselect my exit rows using the QF code ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.