Wiki Posts
Search

Cash upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Cash upgrade

Is this possible from an O fare, via phone with BA? I have been booked into a Y transatlantic and would rather not be...

I fear the answer might be no!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by arh1
Is this possible from an O fare, via phone with BA?
It should be, if you have enough cash.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

To CW?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
To CW?
I have a funny feeling just one cabin so upto WT+

It might be possible to then further upgrade at the airport from WT+ to CW using cash

cs
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:23 am
G*G

You can upgrade any changeable fare to any class you want by paying a change fee and the actual fare difference - although the leap from O to WT or CW (or even F!) can be perceived as gargantuan, given the relatively low base fare of O class fares.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:42 am

I've upgraded a cheap WT fare to WT+ at the upgrade desk in T5 (after security) for significantly less than it would have cost to originally book WT+.

Obviously you are limited to availability on the flight though (couldn't do it on the return leg as WT+ was full) so if you *need* an upgrade rather than would just like one, you'll probably need to pay the full change fare ahead of time to ensure availability.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
In general flat price upgrades are offered in MMB, at OLCI, or at the airport (although you may have to ask), if BA thinks it will sell them at that price but the seats will go begging (or be taken by op-ups!) otherwise.

As mentioned above, you can always upgrade for change fee plus fare difference, but that is rather likely to prove to be substantially more money than you might want to pay.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Indeed.
Just spoken to BA. It would be a further 1400 over and above to upgrade to WT+.

To keep me occupied in the realms of WT I will endeavour to write a trip report of the WT service between LHR-DFW. Not on this flight until December though.

Thanks for your input.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Indeed.
Just spoken to BA. It would be a further £1400 over and above to upgrade to WT+.

To keep me occupied in the realms of WT I will endeavour to write a trip report of the WT service between LHR-DFW. Not on this flight until December though.

Thanks for your input.
Makes you wonder how much it would cost to buy new flights And then bin the originals loosing the cancellation fee

cs
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Makes you wonder how much it would cost to buy new flights And then bin the originals loosing the cancellation fee

cs
c.2,000 per person in business ex-eu.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Indeed.
Just spoken to BA. It would be a further 1400 over and above to upgrade to WT+.

Thanks for your input.
As mentioned above you may get an offer at OLCI to upgrade to WT+ for a flat fee (possibly 199).
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Miles & More FT, IC Gold Ambassador, SPG Gold
Note that on your way back, you will probably have the possibility to get an upgrade to CW for a flat fee of $400 if cabin is available (offer only ex-US). You don't get TP or extra miles...you just get the TP and miles for the cabin you initially paid for.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SN_RJ100
Note that on your way back, you will probably have the possibility to get an upgrade to CW for a flat fee of $400 if cabin is available (offer only ex-US). You don't get TP or extra miles...you just get the TP and miles for the cabin you initially paid for.
From WT to CW?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:52 am

About cash upgrade...I recently wanted to upgrade a WT ticket to WT+ or CW. The ticket was booked by a client who has a Y travel policy. My Co could pay the difference in fare to travel in WT+ or CW.

We tried to upgrade the ticket to WT+ or CW (CW was damn expensive...so it would have been for WT+) but BA can't re-issue the ticket because it was booked through a TA.

I know this is the case when you want to MFU but did not know if was the same if you want to change tickets...and pay the difference in fare + change fee...

Rather upsetting, it would be difficult to go to our client and ask them to change the ticket...so my only chance is to buy an upgrade at the airport...if seats are still available...

in the meantime, the flight seems fully booked, with only two seats in F available...

Well, well, looks like it will be cattle class for me...hoping for an opup...Gold travelling alone...might always help...
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by stifle
From WT to CW?
Yep, did it once in JFK and once in EWR. It was in both case for the very last flight around 23.00 which tends to apparently have a lower load in CW...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.