Wiki Posts
Search

GGL Joker Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
GGL Joker Question

I have looked over threads and not managed to find the answer to a specific situation I am going to be faced with.

I am finally going to be reaching the giddy heights of GGL around the end of November/Early December.

I am trying to book the family trip for August 2012. But, with the new Aveos coming in the trip with cost 20,000 Aveos/miles per person (I am in the 3% of routes that are going up - guess someone had to be). So I am keen to make the booking before 16th of November so that I can save the miles. Of course the dates I want (or close to) are not available.

So - finally the question - can I make a reward booking for random dates before going GGL and then switch this booking to the dates I want using the Joker?

Many thanks for the assistance ^

Irubi
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Don't forget Avios comes will a tax saving.

I'm assuming you're going somewhere like Catania that goes from 15k to 20k. But the taxes drop from 63.50 to 27, saving 36.50.

If you have enough miles to blow them on shorthaul Y are you sure it's worth the hassle. (You can also pay 35 of your saving to Avios+money the miles required back down to 14k if the proportions stay the same.)

Plus:
i) Will you have to pay a 30 change fee or is this waived on GGL?
i0) Are there any get-outs that could mean you don't get your dates and have to cancel, with fees?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Irubi
.. I am finally going to be reaching the giddy heights of GGL around the end of November/Early December...
My only 'caveat' is that we do not know whether or not the GGL will exist after 15 November when the "new revitalised Executive Club" arrives. Elite level qualification and all matters therein may be rather different once mid-November arrives.

It may be BA will play their Joker before you can play yours!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:08 am
Original Poster

All the travel is LH - TLV-LHR-LAS in F, so the 30 pound change fee will be fine. We have hit on both the TLV redemption rate rise and the west coast USA rise.

I am, of course, basing all this on GGL still being around - as I will be sorely p'd off if I have finally managed to get there and then it disappears!! Saying that, I haven't seen any sign of that so far.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Doesn't the joker cost double miles?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Irubi
the west coast USA rise
There is no West Coast USA rise....
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Doesn't the joker cost double miles?
'Priority Reward' (double miles) benefit for any Gold, yes. GGL 'Joker' (or 'Annual Redemption Benefit' is its official name I think) is them releasing up to 5 award buckets from revenue for you once per membership year to use as you wish (miles/MFU/GUF/PCPM/etc.).

I don't see what good it'll do to rely on rebooking with the joker though - it'll be re-priced at the new levels, I would assume. Historically, this worked in one's favour during the half price miles sale...can't expect it to work both ways IMHO! You have nothing major to lose by trying (if you can find the right dummy availability) but I would not expect it to work out.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seriously doubt it.

The joker will release A inventory into Z booking class, and enable a new booking to be ticketed, with the booking split/MFUed/241ed/GUFTed as requested.

I can't see how they could amend an old booking with seats released using the Joker.

I would suggest (i) doing some extra trips to trigger your GGL membership sooner or (ii) going with the extra mileage (perhaps wait till you have triggered your next GUFT and you will only need J mileage for F tickets).
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies.

Smirnoff, I think you put my options very succinctly in your suggestions.

Yes, hadn't thought of the obvious that reissuing would trigger the new levels.

I better try and squeeze in another trip by then.

Thanks again ^
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Also, don't ring up Customer Services assuming that the joker will be required, given that they sometimes seem to find availability that is not shown online. I did that once and only a final check by the agent prevented an unnecessary redemption.

My view is that the joker is best used to get CW on tricky routes such as to South Africa and the Indian Ocean, in conjunction with GUF2. So use up a tiny number of miles on a WT+ booking (particularly if there is a half price sale on), GUF2+joker into CW revenue buckets. Works better for couples than families I guess.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best use of a joker is a tough one. Personally I have found 241 redemptions to Asia/Carribean/Africa in F to be the best use. After all, who wants to travel dormitory class on holiday.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The best use of a joker is a tough one. Personally I have found 241 redemptions to Asia/Carribean/Africa in F to be the best use. After all, who wants to travel dormitory class on holiday.
For me, the best use of the Joker is to secure 5 CW seats at peak school holiday time - MIA, SIN, BKK, CPT - and use a combination of 241s, MFUs etc.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I don't ever expect to make GGL, but I rather suspect if I do I will not be using any jokers on whY travel! Nor redeeming in the back, unless flexibility is needed.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by stifle
Nor redeeming in the back, unless flexibility is needed.
Don't knock redeeming in ET (although hardly worth a GGL Joker!). I did it this year in the 50% off miles sale and saved 450 for a 15k miles outlay, which isn't too bad. Even without a sale, short-notice ET redemptions are sometimes available when the only revenue tickets are very pricey Y or B ones.

You're right that the flexibility can be nice. For those of us used to booking inflexible leisure tickets, to be able to book something speculatively before being absolutely sure one can travel is rather a nice luxury. The aforementioned trip occurred just after I'd had to cancel one summer trip due to illness and I was trying to fit in a replacement a week later but wasn't 100% sure I would be better.

Of course redeeming in WT is a terrible idea, as is purchasing tickets in WT, or even accepting free ones - to be avoided at all costs.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
My only 'caveat' is that we do not know whether or not the GGL will exist after 15 November when the "new revitalised Executive Club" arrives. Elite level qualification and all matters therein may be rather different once mid-November arrives.

It may be BA will play their Joker before you can play yours!
I think the joker is safe:

Will I still get all my Gold benefits such as Gold Upgrade for Two?

All tier related benefits, such as Gold Upgrade for Two, will remain the same and are not changing. (although tier levels may change!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.