Wiki Posts
Search

Are you using LGW less in 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Are you using LGW less in 2011?

I live 20 mins from LGW and love the convenience of the airport. But watching the Inside Gatwick series on SKY has made me realise I haven't flown from there even once during 2011. I've been there plenty of times, but only to pick up relatives...

Most of my business flying is domestic and short-haul European. But the reduced domestic schedule from LGW (fewer Scotland flights, no NCL etc), means LHR is usually far more convenient. For example, when flying home after a meeting from GLA, the array of flight times to LHR mean I can usually get a more conveniently timed return flight, put up with the M25 rush-hour nonsense and be home before the LGW flight has even touched down.

To put it in comparison (approx):

LHR returns: 7
LGW returns: 8

LHR returns: 8
LGW returns: 5
LCY returns: 1 (strike avoidance!)

2011 - (and taking into account advance bookings to year-end)
LHR returns: 14
LGW returns: 0

Am I the only one using LGW far less, or have others noticed this pattern too?

It does make me wonder - how am I ever going to stand a chance of bumping into SRG if I continue to avoid the place?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'm using it more, but that's because this time last year I lived in DUB
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honours
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
Most of my business flying is domestic and short-haul European. But the reduced domestic schedule from LGW (fewer Scotland flights, no NCL etc), means LHR is usually far more convenient.
Flybe now codeshare with BA on the NCL-LGW route if it helps.

I use Gatwick very little these days. I don't really like it. Too much of a leisure airport and I hate the journey I normally take to get there

Last edited by gtomlinson; Sep 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:51 pm

Using it far more than I expected, but I am not caring. I really like Gatwick, in particular the BA staff. I just wish the BA Management at T5 would hire some coaches for a day then drag the T5 ground staff around the M25 to see how customer service should be provided.

^ for Gatwick
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
I live 20 mins from LGW and love the convenience of the airport. But watching the Inside Gatwick series on SKY has made me realise I haven't flown from there even once during 2011. I've been there plenty of times, but only to pick up relatives...

Most of my business flying is domestic and short-haul European. But the reduced domestic schedule from LGW (fewer Scotland flights, no NCL etc), means LHR is usually far more convenient. For example, when flying home after a meeting from GLA, the array of flight times to LHR mean I can usually get a more conveniently timed return flight, put up with the M25 rush-hour nonsense and be home before the LGW flight has even touched down.

To put it in comparison (approx):

LHR returns: 7
LGW returns: 8

LHR returns: 8
LGW returns: 5
LCY returns: 1 (strike avoidance!)

2011 - (and taking into account advance bookings to year-end)
LHR returns: 14
LGW returns: 0

Am I the only one using LGW far less, or have others noticed this pattern too?

It does make me wonder - how am I ever going to stand a chance of bumping into SRG if I continue to avoid the place?
I use Gatwick a lot for Monarch and Easyjet flights to Faro, where i have a house. The train from Clapham Junction to Gatwick makes it easy to get there too !
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think the OP sums this up. The more you run down a service and reduce it, the less people will use it. Ever decreasing circles, self fulfilling prophecy, etc.

This is what has happened at LGW. The only positive thing is the excellence of the LGW staff and, consequently, many aspects of the product. ^

On the other hand, if you improve a service, people will use it, as Ken Livingstone (remember him?) showed with London buses.

I am using LGW less becaue there is less going on there. No more flights to MAD, NCL, JFK, MUC etc etc. Not because I don't want to use it. Thankfully there are still MAN flights and they are useful to me.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honours
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Using it far more than I expected, but I am not caring. I really like Gatwick, in particular the BA staff. I just wish the BA Management at T5 would hire some coaches for a day then drag the T5 ground staff around the M25 to see how customer service should be provided.

^ for Gatwick
Some of the LHR staff, infact, most on the whole are fantastic. The odd one is a bit off but that applies to all BA staff from contact centres to cabin crew

They are under a lot less pressure at Gatwick in terms of the operation size and amount of pax.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I'm sure the staff are great at LGW, but to be honest that would not be a reason to pick LGW over LHR. Schedule (is there actually a flight from the airport to the place I want to go), timing (at the right time) and price determine where I fly from. So yes, I'm doing LGW less because no longer are there BA flights to the US hubs (esp DFW), and GB Airways is no longer either. On the other hand I chose LGW over LHR recently to fly to GVA (a combination of timing and price). Now in the past BA used to fly this route, but this time I had to go with easyJet.

I'm going to SJU later this year - but I'm forced to go via LHR and MIA because the BA schedule to SJU is useless for me.

Oh, and I live also 20 minutes from LGW - so LGW is much more convenient and predictable - no possibility (Certainty ) of traffic jams round the M25.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
All of my trips in 2011 have been from LGW (BA anyway).
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I think the OP sums this up. The more you run down a service and reduce it, the less people will use it. Ever decreasing circles, self fulfilling prophecy, etc.
Exactly. I want to use it, I really do. I like the airport, and I want to see how the new owners have enhanced it. But I want to stay loyal to BA at the same time (for TPs and Miles), and that means electing for the longer journey to LHR.

I guess this thread serves no purpose. All it does is show to BA they can take routes away and reduce the volume of flights to the destinations they do have, and BA's status passengers who live nearby will travel further to LHR.

I will make the effort to give it a whirl the next time I need to go to MAN, but having booked 1 x GLA and 1 x EDI trips today on ba.com. the times were just so much more convenient from LHR.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I will make the effort to give it a whirl the next time I need to go to MAN, but having booked 1 x GLA and 1 x EDI trips today on ba.com. the times were just so much more convenient from LHR.
I've recently had to change a MAN to LGW return portion to LHR because they cancelled and have taken out the later LGW flight, tryingn to put me on the midday flight, when I need to be there well into the afternoon. I don't mind LHR but I had booked, and would prefer, LGW.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
I just use it when I need to - so this year I'll use it for RAK and MLE and would have used it for SSH if the miserable swine hadn't withdrawn the route. As pointed out, this is mostly leisure stuff as that's where the flights are. Where I've have a choice, I would choose LHR for convenience, nothing else. And if HKG, NRT, HND, SYD, PHL, IAH, DFW, IST, HEL and wherever else I've trailed off to this year had been from LGW I'd have no doubt used it more....
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:01 pm
Ambassador

I haven't used BA from LGW for about five years but I'm keen to see the new check-in area and experience the excellent staff everyone talks about so I plan to take an ex-LGW trip soon.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I am not sure I get the comments about LGW being too much of a leisure airport.

Sure there are some leisure orientated BA flights, but there are also business orientated SH and domestic destinations. Is the F lounge any more leisure orientated than Galleries F at LHR?

From my prespective, I go where the flights are. LGW is a nice enough airport and has improved much since BAA sold it. Big plus is the excellent staff, downside is lounges not quite up to LHR standard. If they improved the catering, I would be very happy.

Other big plus is that CE fares from LGW are more competitive than LHR.

If there were more destinations, I would use LGW more often. At the moment I average a flight every other month. Ironically being based in Brighton I have to pass LGW to go to LHR

I do hope BA put some more European short haul at LGW. For me biggest issue would be if LGW SH flights went one class, in which case I would not be using LGW at all any longer
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:09 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by FrancisA
I am not sure I get the comments about LGW being too much of a leisure airport.
Not so much BA but the other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.