Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
lax-jnb one way in F was 135k now is 150k
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
True words. I'm sad that a S America trip I'd planned but never been able to book has become much, much more expensive. On the flipside, several other destinations I like are much better value. Adding on the increased TP earnings and I'm in the black.
The way I tend to view things is that in most cases, things balance out if I take a long-term view. Short-term, it may hurt a little bit depending on the circumstance though. Besides, pain is reasonably easy to forget

As you say, increased TP earnings will help to offset some redemptions have become more expensive by letting me go faster to Gold once I switch over the programme (and indeed the latest changes to BAEC have not put me off changing over to it).
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Meh. I'll be honest. I was one of those US folks who hopped on the 100K gravy train. Spent 40K for a one-way J with stopovers in LIM and IPC on the way to SCL to visit a friend, and 40K in J for that friend to fly SCL-IPC-SCL in J (50K today).

I'm closing my BA Visa but only because I have no use for it. Even if I spent $30K on it, which I won't, I usually just fly by myself to visit others. It's mainly just not wanting to spend $95 than the "stick it to BA" reason.

I'm going to put 9K down for intra-SA flights and use UR/MR points transfers for redemptions that look good to and work for me -- 37.5K HKG-BOM one-way in F on CX on the tail end of a AA LAX-HKG award or maybe 120K for a JFK-LHR-MAN return weekend trip in F to finally visit Old Trafford & the lounges I've heard so much about.

The world hasn't ended but it is a bit darker for a west coast USAer like me. C'est la vie dans le jeu de points et miles. I've enjoyed my flights on BA (BCN and BOM trips from LAX) and I hope these changes help them improve even more.

Last edited by amolkold; Nov 16, 2011 at 2:21 am
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Paulchili
In the end, everyone will choose a FF program that works best for them and the places they tend to fly.
What is however hard, and feels distinctly like a kick in the nuts is when you choose a scheme, do the travel, collect the miles, then suddenly find your plans tossed casually out the window by an arbitrary devaluation designed to favor another customer profile.

FWIW I agree with the general sentiment. Non-stop US domestic travel up to half the continent is less miles, though I would not have used miles on such a trip. If you have to make a connection (AA is a hub & spoke carrier for heaven sake!) it hurts.

Apart from that, everything else I want to looks like it costs at least 18% more (AUS-DFW-LHR) and in some cases more like 40 or 50%.

In all it's much as I had been expecting and, as henky says, makes a nonsense of the 97% "unchanged or better" number BA were banding about.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by bernardd
What is however hard, and feels distinctly like a kick in the nuts is when you choose a scheme, do the travel, collect the miles, then suddenly find your plans tossed casually out the window by an arbitrary devaluation designed to favor another customer profile.

FWIW I agree with the general sentiment. Non-stop US domestic travel up to half the continent is less miles, though I would not have used miles on such a trip. If you have to make a connection (AA is a hub & spoke carrier for heaven sake!) it hurts.

Apart from that, everything else I want to looks like it costs at least 18% more (AUS-DFW-LHR) and in some cases more like 40 or 50%.

In all it's much as I had been expecting and, as henky says, makes a nonsense of the 97% "unchanged or better" number BA were banding about.
+1
In my case it is often more than 40 or 50% increase in the flights I would normally book (long haul J/F awards). It is better for some short haul US flights (SFO-LAX) that I would normally not use miles for.
I will "dispose" of my few remaining Avios in the best way possible but not make an effort to get more (free or otherwise) as it makes no sense for my pattern of redemptions.
Adios Avios
Generally, I like the new site though (too bad I won't be using it much)
Now I am waiting for AA to match BA
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Paulchili, bernardd ... and a couple of others as well.

It is Doomsday, and I'm sorry things have proved so painful for you. I really do mean that.
I know I've been somewhat rude in recent weeks, but you reap what you sow

I feel even worse, since I have benefitted substantially through reduced Avios requirements for upgrades [the only way to go], increased TPs and [to my surprise] retention of the 100% Avios bonus for Silver members. I was really expecting the latter to dip to 75%.

However, I expect we'll all still be alive next Thursday.

Best wishes for your future travels with your carrier of choice. ^
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by scwam
SCREW THIS! I'm not taking chances.
Had 103k from the Chase deal. Transferred 22k from Saphire
into BA account to make it 125k. Booked my First Class the whole way
to Shanghai for Jan 10, & Business class on the way back on Feb 9th.
Total Fees were $425
I thought I was going to get 2 coach tickets to China out of this deal. I'll take what I know I can get today.
And this will be my first time out of Coach.
I hope I made the right decision.
Glad I listened to myself instead of the one who mocked me. My needs to go to PVG & PEK are now 1.8x and more often 2x as much now. As I thought I would have used up that 100k on 1 coach with today's points.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by T8191
Paulchili, bernardd ... and a couple of others as well.

It is Doomsday, and I'm sorry things have proved so painful for you. I really do mean that.
I know I've been somewhat rude in recent weeks, but you reap what you sow

I feel even worse, since I have benefitted substantially through reduced Avios requirements for upgrades [the only way to go], increased TPs and [to my surprise] retention of the 100% Avios bonus for Silver members. I was really expecting the latter to dip to 75%.

However, I expect we'll all still be alive next Thursday.

Best wishes for your future travels with your carrier of choice. ^
Is this your "Resignation speech"? (see my post #1477 above).
I expected more considering how much time you had to prepare it
Yes, I hope to be alive next Thursday and I am getting ready to book my first EY F award for Dec 2012 with AA miles
Good luck with Avios.
Adios
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Is this your "Resignation speech"? (see my post #1477 above).
I expected more considering how much time you had to prepare it
Yes, I hope to be alive next Thursday and I am getting ready to book my first EY F award for Dec 2012 with AA miles
Good luck with Avios.
Adios
All the best to you too ... fly happy ^

I'm booked for holidays in Jan and May already ... just waiting for the next juicy BA Sale to the East Coast [MFU to CW] in Sep 2012.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd
It's hard, yes, and a little unfortunate, really:

"24.1. British Airways may modify, withdraw, amend or add to any Services or other offers or arrangements or impose any requirements or restrictions relating to the use of Services or Awards. British Airways will give as much advance notice as practicable of such action to Members. Current information is set out on ba.com."

As much notice as practicable doesn't quite include "none at all".
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Total disappointment

I must confess I had relatively low expectations after the first changes were announced. However, today's announcement are really much worse than expected.

As Continental European resident, having no business whatsoever in London/Madrid/Helsinki, I can basically only fly Oneworld in transit to overseas destinations. I made my Gold Tier with usually 3 long-haul flights in CW plus the connection in CE from ZRH. Now, I will need 5 long-haul flights including connections in CE. I know, BA interprets it as "4 long haul plus some intra european flying" - but I have no chance for "intra-European flying" on Oneworld ... But also redemption went up from my part of the world. So absolutely no improvements, just massive disadvantages.

I expect that the next step will be a cut in frequency of connection flights, as BA will certainly experience much lighter loads from Continental Europe. A very high percentage of the C class pax always were BAEC Gold and I guess they will all turn their back and walk away now ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.