Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
While I understand (and to be honest share) the frustration at getting the news 'distilled' little by little and general announcements being thrown in while the details corresponding to everyone's queried itineraries and situations have to wait, I think it might be hasty to assume that BA have decided everything and are just sitting on the news for the sake of it. In all likeliness, most of their plan was probably discussed over the Spring and summer at a time when expectations were that the economy was about to improve and air travel in particular (not least premium air travel) was going to pick up again. Since that time, however, economic (and sectorial) prospects have become significantly bleaker and I wonder if this might make them reconsider some possibly negative changes. This certainly is a time when customers (and particularly frequent flyers) should not be taken for granted and negative evolutions would clearly have potentially devastating consequences.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:40 pm

When will BA announce the updated miles requirement
from US to Asia ?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by dogfan
When will BA announce the updated miles requirement
from US to Asia ?
If there are going to be any changes, the smart money seems to be being put on November.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Sep 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Globaliser
IIRC, I think that that commitment relates to a different type of change from the one that's happening at the moment.
What "type of change" do you think they had in mind when making that promise (written in perfectly legal jibberish)?

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by origin
There isnt any stress. Either you book now and dont worry. Or you take a gamble and see what things are like after November.
What if your trip (cruise) is in Dec '12 - then you have no option to book now or even in Nov. You are SOL
Yes - announcing the changes in their entirety in November and then giving everyone 3-6 months to make the necessary adjustments would have been preferable for me (and I assume for many others). Not to mention, much less anxiety producing.

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Paulchili
What if your trip (cruise) is in Dec '12 - then you have no option to book now or even in Nov. You are SOL
Yes - announcing the changes in their entirety in November and then giving everyone 3-6 months to make the necessary adjustments would have been preferable for me (and I assume for many others). Not to mention, much less anxiety producing.
I think that then you have even less of a case to resent the wait than for the rest of us! Even if BA had announced every change in every minute detail on 1 September, there is still nothing you could have done about your cruise so there really seems to be no 'strategy' to think of, and no case for doing anything else but keep your fingers crossed.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There will always be people who lose out in changes. BA havent said that the changes wont take place after a few months they have shown us they will make changes in good time. IE they told us about the changes well in advance of the November date.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What "type of change" do you think they had in mind when making that promise (written in perfectly legal jibberish)?
The type of change that's happening to Air Miles - a replacement of the currency, not just a renaming of the existing currency.

And tinkering with the mileage requirements for particular destinations is definitely not what that's on about.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that then you have even less of a case to resent the wait than for the rest of us! Even if BA had announced every change in every minute detail on 1 September, there is still nothing you could have done about your cruise so there really seems to be no 'strategy' to think of, and no case for doing anything else but keep your fingers crossed.
I meant announing the entire "deal" only when they are ready with all the details - on Nov 16th and forgetting this confusing announcment in September.
After all, how can you prepare for something you do not know the details of; why should you have to hedge your bets? Why not announce the changes and then give reasonable amount of time to let people make their choices, based on facts and not on fears.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:51 pm

The type of change that's happening to Air Miles - a replacement of the currency, not just a renaming of the existing currency.

And tinkering with the mileage requirements for particular destinations is definitely not what that's on about.
How exactly do you happen to know what specific changes they had in mind in their T&Cs? Did they consult you?
As far as I am concerned, any changes to the FF program that directly effect me are changes; unless they specifically indicated what changes they meant when they said "changes".

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:19 pm

Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: BA
Booking a cruise with Airmiles? or just the flights?If it's a cruise, Airmiles or Avios will both be the same.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the stig
Booking a cruise with Airmiles? or just the flights?If it's a cruise, Airmiles or Avios will both be the same.
The OP is from SFO area. I would have thought that this is in relation to the BA miles possible changes.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
How exactly do you happen to know what specific changes they had in mind in their T&Cs? Did they consult you?
As far as I am concerned, any changes to the FF program that directly effect me are changes; unless they specifically indicated what changes they meant when they said "changes".
It helps to read the T&C. They say what they say, not what you happen to want them to say.

In particular, it helps to read the bits of the T&C that talk about "six months", which does not include all types of changes to BAEC:
22. Termination of the Executive Club mileage programme
22.2. British Airways will give at least 6 months notice of such termination of the Mileage Programme or a Member's right to earn or redeem Miles issued by British Airways.

23. Termination of the Executive Club
British Airways may terminate the Executive Club at any time but will use its reasonable endeavours to give at least six months notice to Members. At the end of the period of notice, each Member acknowledges that their right to use the Services (including the earning and redemption of Mileage) will cease.

25. Variation of mileage currency
British Airways may, from time to time, change the mileage currency used by the Executive Club either in whole or in relation to any country or region. British Airways will use its reasonable endeavours to give at least six months notice to Members of any such changes.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:09 am

It helps to read the T&C. They say what they say, not what you happen to want them to say.

In particular, it helps to read the bits of the T&C that talk about "six months", which does not include all types of changes to BAEC:
You are right about this - thank you for pointing it out.
However, I still feel that BA's announcement in September was ill-conceived and poorly executed, creating unnecessary anxiety.
The changes to the program, whatever they may be, should have been announced in their entirety – on Sept. 1st, if the full terms were known or on Nov 16th if the full terms were not known in September (I doubt this, but I will give BA the benefit of the doubt).
Then a grace period would be given (preferably up to 6 months) before the changes would take effect. This would allow members to make rational decisions about what to do with their miles.
However, in that case this thread, full of speculations, fears, grousing and uncertainty, would not exist as there would be no need for it. Instead there would be a thread discussing the changes to the program which would be filled with facts rather than conjecture and speculation.
That’s JMO.
Cheers.

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.