Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ANNOUNCEMENT - A new revitalised Executive Club is coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANNOUNCEMENT - A new revitalised Executive Club is coming

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Paulchili
They certainly covered their a**, as they always do - that is why they pay a lot of money to their lawyers. However, did they not promise 6 months notice and are giving just 2 1/2?
In any case, that is exactly why I had said earlier that it is not illegal, just morally wrong. Maybe your schedule is flexible enough that 2 1/2 months is enough notice for you; for others it may not be the case, for any number of reasons (previuosly booked/non cancellable trips, no more vacation time, etc, etc).
However, it is what it is and we all will have to move on. With the exception of S. America and stopovers, BA was never a real bargain when compared to AA redemptions anyway. Even the much touted routes from NA to Asia are a better deal on AA in F (67.5K on AA vs 75K on BA); ditto from Oz to US. The fuel surcharges made it even worse and now with the new redemptions table likely, it's really time to move on.

No they didn't promise 6 months. They say they will use reasonable endaevours. As our corporate lawyer always says - I will not accept a contract that says "reasonable endeavours" because it means they will do zilch.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by highlander88
Wow I feel really cheated. As a North American customer, living on the West Coast, I value the NA-asia at 50K miles. Especially as there is no/low fuel surcharge on Cathay.

(Does anyone realize the taxes/surcharges come to $900 for a flight YVR-LHR return!!!!)

I feel like my 350k remaining miles are going to be totally devalued because the new rate for asia will be at least 60K, if not 70K? (YVR-HKG is 6344 miles. We know LHR-HKG is 5944 miles and 60k, so does anyone know which is more likely?)

Overall I feel cheated and obviously I need to find a new card and stop earning BA miles until at least things settle down.

Very disappointed.

I wish someone COULD launch a lawsuit, but unfortunately I'm sure it's in their terms and conditions etc etc etc. But it certainly does not create good will towards the airline, and I tell you I certainly won't be flying BA/oneworld anymore if I can fly Star Alliance. Ridiculous.
Sorry - are you saying your miles are 'totally devalued' because the rate might go up from 50k to 60k?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
No they didn't promise 6 months. They say they will use reasonable endaevours. As our corporate lawyer always says - I will not accept a contract that says "reasonable endeavours" because it means they will do zilch.
Where have I heard that one before? Oh yeah, from our corporate lawyers...
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
I see what you mean
Just another "minor" deception (they don't really matter - do they?)- we'll try to give you 6 months' notice but in reality we will give you only 2 1/2.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I see what you mean
Just another "minor" deception (they don't really matter - do they?)- we'll try to give you 6 months' notice but in reality we will give you only 2 1/2.
If you choose to believe that 'reasonable endeavours' really means anything, that's your lookout.

I'm not a lawyer and whenever I sign contracts at work I never accept contracts with response times or similar that have a 'best endeavours' clause because they are worthless. I'd have thought this was obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense.

BAH
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I'm not a lawyer and whenever I sign contracts at work I never accept contracts with response times or similar that have a 'best endeavours' clause because they are worthless. I'd have thought this was obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense.

BAH

In other words, don't bother reading the T&C in the first place, because, in the end, they are meaningless anyway. They can sc**w you one way, or another.
Obviously, you feel that I don't have an ounce of sense, but I do know when to quit; and that time is now.
Cheers
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
In other words, don't bother reading the T&C in the first place, because, in the end, they are meaningless anyway. They can sc**w you one way, or another.
Obviously I don't have an ounce of sense, but I do know when to quit; and that time is now.
Cheers
No, it means read them and understand them. And if they say "reasonable endeavours", assume that clause will not be honoured
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:33 am

Obviously, you feel that I don't have an ounce of sense,
I don't know you well enough to make that assessment, but from your posts here I do think you have a distorted image of what BA's FF program will provide. I'm not familiar with US programs so can't comment if BA's is atypical compared to US norms and hence this is why your expectations seem out of kilter.

but I do know when to quit; and that time is now.
Cheers
Always the sign of good sense, though, is to realise when you have to abandon ship (as it were). But it does seem to me you're abandoning ship prior to the iceberg even being sighted...

BAH
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
I'm not familiar with US programs so can't comment if BA's is atypical compared to US norms and hence this is why your expectations seem out of kilter.
In some respects, for example fuel surcharges, BA has imposed conditions which are wildly at variance with the norms of the market in which it's operating. It's also out of kilter in areas like restrictions on redemptions and even changes in the 24 hours before departure, though most of the US carriers charge "close in" fees.

IF, and it's a big IF, BA moves to a "distance from origin redemption rate for North American partner rewards it will be radically out of kilter with its partner AA which has a flat rate for redemptions wholly within North America. Even if BA moves to dividing the US into 2 or 3 zones and charges different rates between various city pairs it will be out of kilter.

It's also out of kilter in things like access to make redemptions only during East coast office hours.

Overall, BA doesn't look much like a world player - it feels more like some two bit parochial European operation. Perhaps it's time to finally change the name to London Airways and quit the pretense?

Edited to add : why not throw in the much promised and never quite delivered ability to upgrade Travel Agent tickets which US carriers have supported for years.

Last edited by bernardd; Sep 5, 2011 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
In some respects, for example fuel surcharges, BA has imposed conditions which are wildly at variance with the norms of the market in which it's operating. It's also out of kilter in areas like restrictions on redemptions and even changes in the 24 hours before departure, though most of the US carriers charge "close in" fees.
What restrictions ? Sorry if I am being thick but BA redemptions are fully flexible up until T-24 as you mention. I always book 2 x 1-ways redemptions to maintain flexibility and there is no penalty attached to doing this.

With regard to fuel charges, that is very much a European 'norm' and BA is, primarily, a European player.

IF, and it's a big IF, BA moves to a "distance from origin redemption rate for North American partner rewards it will be radically out of kilter with its partner AA which has a flat rate for redemptions wholly within North America. Even if BA moves to dividing the US into 2 or 3 zones and charges different rates between various city pairs it will be out of kilter.

It's also out of kilter in things like access to make redemptions only during East coast office hours.

Overall, BA doesn't look much like a world player - it feels more like some two bit parochial European operation. Perhaps it's time to finally change the name to London Airways and quit the pretense?
I agree totally about the stupid and pointless EC office 'rules'. Why on earth they cannot just have a 24 hour service and you can just bloody well phone a number irrespective of where your account is based eludes me totally.

I would say, though, that your view of BA is a peculiarly American one...from over here the US players (with perhaps the exception of Continental) are universally derided for having poor hard product and surly service (although, to be fair, BA can be hit and miss on the service front too). And don't even get me started on the dreadful lounges provided by American carriers. Some are so bad over there the communal areas of the airport seem a positive haven of luxury...

BAH
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:02 am

What restrictions ? Sorry if I am being thick but BA redemptions are fully flexible up until T-24 as you mention. I always book 2 x 1-ways redemptions to maintain flexibility and there is no penalty attached to doing this.
I believe all US carriers allow redemptions and changes pretty much up to the point the aircraft door closes - it one point I made a redemption using my cell phone while standing by the gate, for reasons that escape me now.

I would say, though, that your view of BA is a peculiarly American one...from over here the US players (with perhaps the exception of Continental) are universally derided for having poor hard product and surly service (although, to be fair, BA can be hit and miss on the service front too). And don't even get me started on the dreadful lounges provided by American carriers. Some are so bad over there the communal areas of the airport seem a positive haven of luxury...
I was commenting solely on the FF scheme.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:05 am

I was commenting solely on the FF scheme.
Fair enough !

BAH
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And don't even get me started on the dreadful lounges provided by American carriers. Some are so bad over there the communal areas of the airport seem a positive haven of luxury...
Slightly OT, but I can't agree more. I can't remember which "Lounge" MaxJet used at IAD, but that's exactly what we did!! Move to the Public areas.

The concept of boarding from the "Lounge" was nice ... but the "Lounge" and it's facilities were cramped and abysmal. Somewhere at the top end of the B-Gates on the left ... my diary suggests it was NorthWest [whatever happened to them? <rhetorical> ]
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Edited to add : why not throw in the much promised and never quite delivered ability to upgrade Travel Agent tickets which US carriers have supported for years.
Just a quiet reminder that Nicci has just said something about this, and I don't think it would be fair to keep banging on about it at the present time.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Just a quiet reminder that Nicci has just said something about this, and I don't think it would be fair to keep banging on about it at the present time.
Sorry, I disagree. 2 1/2 years after it was promised, and we're still getting "reasonable endeavours"? Sometimes you have to stand up and be counted. Anyway, my harping on about this is apparently like water off the proverbial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.