Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Told Off By Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
Originally Posted by EGLL_Director
"where's my lifejacket?" (hint: it's under the seat in every aeroplane that you don't have to wear it in flight!)
Not at all!

It's on the side in CW and F. Some years ago I kept a BA crew busy in F (not too long, I must add), because I always check whether the life jacket is actually where it is supposed to be. It was my first time in F and I couldn't locate the life jacket in 2K... neither could the crew.

I also can't recall how many times I've heard the line "Your seat cushion may be used as a flotation device", because there's no life jacket at all.

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I thought there were other reasons not to inflate other than door size?
Don't know, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't mentioned last time I flew on a widebody (TG 744 about 6 months ago).

Neil

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paralytic
IOh come on. Really? People on flights are now looking for role models in other passengers?
It's interesting, the psychology of crowds. Not that it's a fair comparison, but do you think that many of the rioters in London and the rest of England would have independently decided to start smashing shops up, looting, and setting fire to buildings? I guess not, they were copying the actions of others....... therefore if everyone around you is staring out the window / reading their paper then human nature would be to pay less attention to the video.

Back OT... my wife has made me the type of person who always checks underneath their seat that the life jacket is there, and count the number of rows to the 2 nearest exits. I'll pay some attention to the safety video, but not stare at it continuously....

Last edited by LondonAndy; Aug 31, 2011 at 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by EGLL_Director
Lifejackets are not inflated in the aircraft so you don't float to the top of a flooded cabin and can't get out. Once you're bouncing around the ceiling like mr blobby won't won't be able to get down to the door to get through it. I think it was the hijacked 767 that ditched in the Indian Ocean that lead to the don't inflate your lifejacket rule. Most people survived the impact. Those that died inflated their jackets underwater in the cabin - floated to the top of the cabin and could drag themselves out.
I never knew that - if only they put it in the safety video.

However, I'm impressed there's an educational comment in a thread I started. I'm off to sit down
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Oh, by the way, I really bad at reading the manuals when putting together flat-pack furniture or anything else needing assembled.

Perhaps not wanting to follow instructions is just a character flaw of mine
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:31 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I thought there were other reasons not to inflate other than door size?
There is and it was never 'door size'.

Look at the Etiopian flight just off the Seychelles, where quite a few deaths where attributed to the fact that people inflated their life vests onboard and therefore couldn't get out of a water filled cabin, as they floated to the top of the wreckage and got stuck.

bjorns
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by HAM76
Not at all!

It's on the side in CW and F. Some years ago I kept a BA crew busy in F (not too long, I must add), because I always check whether the life jacket is actually where it is supposed to be. It was my first time in F and I couldn't locate the life jacket in 2K... neither could the crew.

I also can't recall how many times I've heard the line "Your seat cushion may be used as a flotation device", because there's no life jacket at all.
Last time I accidentally kicked the life vest in CW (64K), it was under my seat
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Another example of what makes forums like these so great.

OP posts something -> people comment on that -> thread veers off-topic -> someone writes an interesting detail (reasons for not inflating life vest inside) -> we all learn something new.

Love this stuff!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, by the way, I really bad at reading the manuals when putting together flat-pack furniture or anything else needing assembled.

Perhaps not wanting to follow instructions is just a character flaw of mine
I am the same. Like the manuals for the car. I dont read them unless I really have to.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Like hyenas circling a injured wildebeast
I think I've (just) managed to survive, so far
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
Its the same one I flew on 4 weeks ago and many times before that. I know where the exits are. I know where the oxygen masks will come from. I know how to put the emergency jacket on, and where the light and blowy-bit are. I know the brace position. I know when I can and cannot use different pieces of equipment and what a flight mode is.
The human brain is a funny, little thing... It bases risk evaluations on how many times it has heard something instead of on facts. It creates a feeling of familiarity based on patterns, such as sitting in the plane and listening to the same music, instead of the actual content. It simplifies reality by detecting patterns, even if those patterns don't exist.

A lot of people know well what to do in an accident, in case of a fire, when observing a crime... yet, when suddenly confronted with this situation many forget all of that, falling back to basic behavioral pattern or only recall what they saw on TV (a surprising lot of younger Europeans believe they have to dial 911 in an emergency).

Most car drivers take the same way to work every day. Being familiar with this particular route gives a comforting feeling of being a superior driver, which studies have shown to be 80-90% of the population.

Routine is dangerous, which is why pilots work on a check list even if they know every single item on it.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I've (just) managed to survive, so far
You are doing well. Whilst its been an education and helped pass an afternoon. Part of me does wish that you hadnt posted it though. Sorry.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Routine is dangerous, which is why pilots work on a check list even if they know every single item on it.
OT Totally OT

I was watching a medical Tv pogramme. They were explaining about a poor man. He went home and smelt gas. So he called the correct people. Then he went into normal mode. Sadly this was by the window on the phone .... smoking. He had 85% burns. He did die.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:48 am
Original Poster

The human brain is a funny, little thing... It bases risk evaluations on how many times it has heard something instead of on facts. It creates a feeling of familiarity based on patterns, such as sitting in the plane and listening to the same music, instead of the actual content. It simplifies reality by detecting patterns, even if those patterns don't exist.

A lot of people know well what to do in an accident, in case of a fire, when observing a crime... yet, when suddenly confronted with this situation many forget all of that, falling back to basic behavioral pattern or only recall what they saw on TV (a surprising lot of younger Europeans believe they have to dial 911 in an emergency).

Most car drivers take the same way to work every day. Being familiar with this particular route gives a comforting feeling of being a superior driver, which studies have shown to be 80-90% of the population.

I agree with all of this, but am not sure what point its making.

I know what the video says - so its locked away in my grey matter. If I watched it again, it'd simply reinforce what's already there. No change.

I've no idea how well I'd access it if the need did arise, however.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Baconroll
The short answer is No, the crew member shouldn't have spoken to you like that.

The only way something like that is somewhat acceptable is if said with a cheeky grin and a laugh - IF you've already had some kind of interaction (to establish a rapport and whether the customer is open to a bit of banter.
BA is vigilant about this and it's a good thing. Your safety isn't just about you, it's about how the people around you react in an emergency. If you pay attention, the first-time flyer next to you may not bother either. When something happens, s/he won't know what to do and you may be the one who bears the brunt.

It's a matter of good citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.